Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Retirement Club

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Retirement Club

Post by TitanTim » Mon May 22, 2023 11:40 am

biZ4rreMids wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:53 am I was automatically enrolled into a FSP scheme when I joined BR in ‘82 at the age of 16. Never took any notice of my pension until my late 30’s before realising the true benefits. Retired 2 years ago at 54 and just received a 10.1% annual pension increase. I’ve not been astute just very lucky.
Same year I started in Local Goverment at 17 although I'd had a couple of short term trainee jobs in Local Government at 16. I wasn't enrolled on the Pension scheme until 18 as still too young at 17.

When I did a retirement workshop at work last year I never even thought of checking my State Pension Forecast being 57 at the time as its still some time off. Luckily by April this year I'd made all the NI contributions required so glad I had checked.

Tim.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Retirement Club

Post by buzyg » Mon May 22, 2023 12:28 pm

TitanTim wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 11:40 am
biZ4rreMids wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:53 am I was automatically enrolled into a FSP scheme when I joined BR in ‘82 at the age of 16. Never took any notice of my pension until my late 30’s before realising the true benefits. Retired 2 years ago at 54 and just received a 10.1% annual pension increase. I’ve not been astute just very lucky.
Same year I started in Local Goverment at 17 although I'd had a couple of short term trainee jobs in Local Government at 16. I wasn't enrolled on the Pension scheme until 18 as still too young at 17.

When I did a retirement workshop at work last year I never even thought of checking my State Pension Forecast being 57 at the time as its still some time off. Luckily by April this year I'd made all the NI contributions required so glad I had checked.

Tim.
I think you can still register as self employed and pay NI that way to top up. Assuming you have enough years to SRA

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Retirement Club

Post by TitanTim » Mon May 22, 2023 12:48 pm

buzyg wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 12:28 pm
TitanTim wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 11:40 am

Tim.
I think you can still register as self employed and pay NI that way to top up. Assuming you have enough years to SRA
Yes that's correct, if you go onto the .Gov State Pension Forecaster site it will tell you how many more years contributions you have left but doesn't mean if you stopped working at any time in between you can't make any further NI contributions in the future.

Tim.

zriha

Retirement Club

Post by zriha » Mon May 22, 2023 2:19 pm

Nice Tim! Congrats mate! :) I am happy to see that you will fulfil your time. Sadly from my point of few (40 years of age), I have a feeling I will work until I die. :(
Current fleet
BMW Z4 (E85) 2.5i 5-speed manual
Mini Cooper S JCW F56
Royal Enfield Classic 350 Signals (Marsh Grey)

Hilly30si

Retirement Club

Post by Hilly30si » Sun May 28, 2023 3:44 pm

I retired three years ago and now as my wife says everyday is a bank holiday. We have have just returned from a month long holiday in Australia then cruising to NZ, Thaiti and Hawaii. Enjoy retirement you have earned it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
My Cars

2021 X3 M Sport loaded with Tec
1974 Triumph TR6 in Mimosa Yellow
Gone but not forgotten
2008 Z4 3.0 SI Roadster

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Retirement Club

Post by TitanTim » Sun May 28, 2023 8:12 pm

Hilly30si wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:44 pm I retired three years ago and now as my wife says everyday is a bank holiday. We have have just returned from a month long holiday in Australia then cruising to NZ, Thaiti and Hawaii. Enjoy retirement you have earned it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Many thanks, month in already :) wished I'd done it years ago now :) Surprised how fast you forget about work and realise for me anyways what a daily grind it was.

Tim.

Hilly30si

Retirement Club

Post by Hilly30si » Mon May 29, 2023 2:24 pm

TitanTim wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:12 pm
Hilly30si wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:44 pm I retired three years ago and now as my wife says everyday is a bank holiday. We have have just returned from a month long holiday in Australia then cruising to NZ, Thaiti and Hawaii. Enjoy retirement you have earned it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Many thanks, month in already :) wished I'd done it years ago now :) Surprised how fast you forget about work and realise for me anyways what a daily grind it was.

Tim.
I worked Self employed for 35 years with my own decorating business in New Build Sector for large construction companies. I spent the first 15 years building my reputation of never letting anyone down, and the next 20 years reaping the rewards. Always kept 10 guys busy and I worked from my office at home which let me run my life how I wanted. I loved my work but the time came as I just wanted no more responsibilities. After a month away it was great to come back to virtually no post to sort, and no problems. I love to work in the garden now also I have the TR6 to keep me occupied.

The biggest thing I detest with retirement are the Winter months,had three years of them now, so we are going to do long term rentals near our best friends who live in Mercia Spain. :thumbsup:
My Cars

Gone but not forgotten
2008 Z4 3.0 SI Roadster

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Retirement Club

Post by TitanTim » Tue May 30, 2023 7:24 am

Hilly30si wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:24 pm

Tim.
I worked Self employed for 35 years with my own decorating business in New Build Sector for large construction companies. I spent the first 15 years building my reputation of never letting anyone down, and the next 20 years reaping the rewards. Always kept 10 guys busy and I worked from my office at home which let me run my life how I wanted. I loved my work but the time came as I just wanted no more responsibilities. After a month away it was great to come back to virtually no post to sort, and no problems. I love to work in the garden now also I have the TR6 to keep me occupied.

The biggest thing I detest with retirement are the Winter months,had three years of them now, so we are going to do long term rentals near our best friends who live in Mercia Spain. :thumbsup:
I think if you have a few hobbies or pastimes that you love doing then it makes it all worth while. I have a few friends who are in some ways are scared of retirement as they say "I don't what I would do with all the spare time" I think for me it's an opportunity to discover more new things without the constraints of a working life.

I deliberately retired in April to look forward to the summer, having said that as I've taken up alot more walking now I actually prefer it during the winter months oddly enough :)

Tim.

DevonPaul

Retirement Club

Post by DevonPaul » Tue May 30, 2023 1:28 pm

TitanTim wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:24 am I deliberately retired in April to look forward to the summer, having said that as I've taken up alot more walking now I actually prefer it during the winter months oddly enough :)
I retired in June, to use my personal allowance as the wife was working and I just went to zero income. Mainly to sort the house and look after an ageing mother, then Covid hit and I never got around to finding another job.

We moved house, the wife has retired twice, and still works 2.5 days per week, and I took my smallish Council pension earlier this year figuring with a 30% or so reduction for 10.5 years early I'd still be 87 or so before breakeven point, also it isn't taxed yet as I'm just about keeping taxable income under the allowance.

Since moving I've joined a few local groups, got involved in the Village Associtation, organising events, village magazine, and bought a 230 year old house with a far too large overgrown garden. But most mornings I still just sit in my underpants playing on my laptop.
2006 Imola Z4MC (wife's shopping trolley)
1990 Toyota Carina (Started as a free family heirloom, now apparently a Classic)
2016 Toyota Avensis 1.6D (yup, the *really* slow one).
2011 TDM900
1997 VFR750 project. 95% complete. Only 30% left to do.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Retirement Club

Post by buzyg » Tue May 30, 2023 2:18 pm

Tim.

Great reading what the retired folk on here are getting up to. We are so diverse apart from our love of the Z4. I look forward to the winter each year. Once it was surfing the winter storms. Now it is climbing hills and mountains on crisp winter days. I suspect as I get older the appeal will eventually wane. But not for a few years yet. Too much to explore.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Retirement Club

Post by Nanu » Tue May 30, 2023 7:41 pm

[/quote]
But most mornings I still just sit in my underpants playing on my laptop.
[/quote]Now that is far too much information. Perhaps a moderator should intervene :o
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Retirement Club

Post by TitanTim » Tue May 30, 2023 8:45 pm

DevonPaul wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:28 pm
TitanTim wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:24 am I deliberately retired in April to look forward to the summer, having said that as I've taken up alot more walking now I actually prefer it during the winter months oddly enough :)
But most mornings I still just sit in my underpants playing on my laptop.
:rofl: Sounds like you have all bases covered there :lol:

Tim.

Hilly30si

Retirement Club

Post by Hilly30si » Tue May 30, 2023 10:42 pm

buzyg wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:18 pm
TitanTim wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:12 pm Many thanks, month in already :) wished I'd done it years ago now :) Surprised how fast you forget about work and realise for me anyways what a daily grind it was.

Tim.

Great reading what the retired folk on here are getting up to. We are so diverse apart from our love of the Z4. I look forward to the winter each year. Once it was surfing the winter storms. Now it is climbing hills and mountains on crisp winter days. I suspect as I get older the appeal will eventually wane. But not for a few years yet. Too much to explore.
You keep doing what you do, keep moving as much as you can for as long as you can. Not so long ago I would do 50 miles on Sunday’s on my road bike, probably do 15 miles twice a week on the Canals, also swim twice a week at my local Nuffield club. My Doctor said keep moving as much as you can every day :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
My Cars

Gone but not forgotten
2008 Z4 3.0 SI Roadster

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Retirement Club

Post by TitanTim » Wed May 31, 2023 8:59 am

Hilly30si wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:42 pm
buzyg wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:18 pm

You keep doing what you do, keep moving as much as you can for as long as you can. Not so long ago I would do 50 miles on Sunday’s on my road bike, probably do 15 miles twice a week on the Canals, also swim twice a week at my local Nuffield club. My Doctor said keep moving as much as you can every day :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Good advice to keep moving and very conscious of the years being stuck in front of a computer all day :cry:

Tim.