Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

EGS [DKG_90] | 5A53: Transmission overheating: phase Red

Christopher72

Post by Christopher72 » Tue May 30, 2023 8:43 pm

Seriously... I love the car, hate the problems...

This popped up when reasonably accelerating from a stop after driving for about 25 minutes in 88F weather.
So this sounds like DCT joy. Recommendations? Dealer only? what to approach?

I've done a little googling to see that some do DCT service and replace the temp sensor (what part #?)
Christopher
2011 E89 Sdrive35i - Deep Sea Blue, Beige Kansas Leather
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Tue May 30, 2023 10:52 pm

Often its caused by low fluid level in the box..they tend to develop slow leaks, from the pan but sometimes from the main body..if its left unattended the fluid left is not enough to cool the box and then you get that error..I've heard of duff temp sensors..have you tried a trip to Patagonia to see if it improves?
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Christopher72

Post by Christopher72 » Wed May 31, 2023 3:26 pm

B21 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:52 pm Often its caused by low fluid level in the box..they tend to develop slow leaks, from the pan but sometimes from the main body..if its left unattended the fluid left is not enough to cool the box and then you get that error..I've heard of duff temp sensors..have you tried a trip to Patagonia to see if it improves?
So... Execute a full service on the DCT then and see if that tackles it? pan, filters, etc? Anyone do this DIY?
and I'm sorry -- don't understand that Patagonia reference... :idunno:
Christopher
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Wed May 31, 2023 5:25 pm

Christopher72 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:26 pm
B21 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:52 pm Often its caused by low fluid level in the box..they tend to develop slow leaks, from the pan but sometimes from the main body..if its left unattended the fluid left is not enough to cool the box and then you get that error..I've heard of duff temp sensors..have you tried a trip to Patagonia to see if it improves?
So... Execute a full service on the DCT then and see if that tackles it? pan, filters, etc? Anyone do this DIY?
and I'm sorry -- don't understand that Patagonia reference... :idunno:
Much colder in Patagonia…so car may function better..I’ll avoid helpful comments in future… :tumbleweed: :rofl:

So fresh filters fresh oil..can be done DIY but..you need ISTA to do the command to ensure the box operates to ensure oil has got everywhere and is at the right temp..you have a horizontal fill hole which is full when it dribbles out..but if you just fill it without operating the box via ISTA it won’t get to all the nooks n crannies..

Maybe a job for a decent BMW Indy…?
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

Christopher72

Post by Christopher72 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:11 am

B21 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:25 pm Much colder in Patagonia…so car may function better..I’ll avoid helpful comments in future… :tumbleweed: :rofl:
Maybe a job for a decent BMW Indy…?
I was thinking it was a current events reference :D I'm not as versed on Argentinian climates or S. America in general.
We'd just go up to Windsor, Canada, eh?

Getting 3rd party quotes for the work... but still delving into the idea.

What's the role of ISTA/P? Cant we just use protool to check the temps in the refill process?
Topping up transmission oil after a repair:

Stand vehicle on a level surface and secure against rolling off.
Open fluid adjusting screw (1). If oil emerges, close screw again immediately
If no oil emerges, top up until oil emerges and close oil adjusting screw (1) again
Note: If oil has been replenished here, a further refill must be carried out during the actual oil adjustment.

Connect diagnosis system and start service functions (drive).
Start engine (drive position N or P)
Record transmission temperature using the diagnosis system
(Drive position P)
Permissible starting temperature ≤ 32 °C
Idle speed: maintain at approx. 2000 rpm for 1 minute.
Open the oil adjusting screw (1)
Fill until oil emerges.
Max. transmission oil temperature 40 degrees Celsius
Insert screw.
Christopher

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:06 am

Temps for sure…not sure what the service function does…compared to a seriously low oil level must be better..