Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Digital Cluster

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Zed Baron

Digital Cluster

Post by Zed Baron » Tue May 23, 2023 11:35 pm

Dave, do you still have to cut the dash to fit?

AnubisZed

Digital Cluster

Post by AnubisZed » Wed May 24, 2023 12:04 am

Marcoose wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:03 pm Brilliant update, Dave. Thank you.

ETA for fixing the image to an e89 ?
I'll update again once I know something :thumbsup:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

AnubisZed

Digital Cluster

Post by AnubisZed » Wed May 24, 2023 12:06 am

Christopher72 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:30 pm Is it the angle or is the displayed image not level in the visible screen?

Looks like the 5k RPM bend is closer to the top than the 120mph bend... Asymmetry catches the eye.
For both, could well be the angle the photos were taken at. I've not noticed it myself
Dave

AnubisZed

Digital Cluster

Post by AnubisZed » Wed May 24, 2023 12:08 am

Zed Baron wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:35 pm Dave, do you still have to cut the dash to fit?
Yes. There are four pieces that stick out inside the binnacle, but you only need to remove one each side. There's no structural or visual affect at all though.
Dave

AnubisZed

Digital Cluster

Post by AnubisZed » Fri May 26, 2023 8:23 am

Would anyone be interested in a Group Buy for these clusters?
If admin will let me (haven't asked yet), and if I can get 10 (minimum) of you to agree then I can get the price down to $780 instead of the current price of $880.

Let me know your thoughts :thumbsup:
Dave

AnubisZed

Digital Cluster

Post by AnubisZed » Tue May 30, 2023 6:48 am

AnubisZed wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:23 am Would anyone be interested in a Group Buy for these clusters?
If admin will let me (haven't asked yet), and if I can get 10 (minimum) of you to agree then I can get the price down to $780 instead of the current price of $880.

Let me know your thoughts :thumbsup:
Hmmmm, I'll take it then that nobody is interested.
Not an issue, I appreciate it's a bit of a Marmite item and it's not cheap.
Dave

blackbay54

Digital Cluster

Post by blackbay54 » Tue May 30, 2023 12:50 pm

Definitely a marmite item I think. Personally if my car came with it as standard I'd be paying 880 to upgrade to 3d, physical beautiful red BMW clocks/dials :oops:

There again I'm into mechanical watches and analogue clusters probably appeal to the same part of me.

I wouldn't mind a stealthy little heads-up display though... (not possible I know :-( )

Marcoose

Digital Cluster

Post by Marcoose » Tue May 30, 2023 1:47 pm

I’d love a cluster for spirited drives. RPM, gear, oil temp. Large font. Very simple.

At the risk of sounding critical, this one is off the mark by a country mile.
- Expensive (and not returnable ?)
- Imperfect fit
- Wrong car image
- Bad English (door is not closed, why not ‘door open’?)
- Not plug and play (Loads of programming/adjustments)
- Not information I need when I need it
- Unknown performance with glare

I find it gimmicky, made to be flashy. As-is, even if gifted, I’d pass. It needs work.

It reminds me of those stereos CD players with removable front from the 90s. They had 36 flashy colours, buttons and functions like they were going out of fashion, when all I wanted was good music.
Last edited by Marcoose on Tue May 30, 2023 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

DonDon

Digital Cluster

Post by DonDon » Tue May 30, 2023 3:25 pm

I have this from a previous life (currently £17.97 and the OBD door on my Z4 closes):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

Connect that via Bluetooth to the Torque app on an Android phone / tablet and you can make your own display with various readouts as required.
2013 E89 28i auto

Marcoose

Digital Cluster

Post by Marcoose » Tue May 30, 2023 4:28 pm

DonDon wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:25 pm I have this from a previous life (currently £17.97 and the OBD door on my Z4 closes):

Connect that via Bluetooth to the Torque app on an Android phone / tablet and you can make your own display with various readouts as required.
What’s the name of the product ? The link is asking me to change countries to the U.K. One Brexit was enough. 😄😄😄
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

AnubisZed

Digital Cluster

Post by AnubisZed » Tue May 30, 2023 4:36 pm

blackbay54 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:50 pm Definitely a marmite item I think. Personally if my car came with it as standard I'd be paying 880 to upgrade to 3d, physical beautiful red BMW clocks/dials :oops:

There again I'm into mechanical watches and analogue clusters probably appeal to the same part of me.
You do realise though that it's not actually anologue, it's still digital signals as there is no direct drive to the OEM speedo :wink:
blackbay54 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:50 pmI wouldn't mind a stealthy little heads-up display though... (not possible I know :-( )
Alas I've looked into it before, I'm sure it is possible, but would need some serious techy type to sort it, so that's me out! :rofl:
Dave

DonDon

Digital Cluster

Post by DonDon » Tue May 30, 2023 5:13 pm

Marcoose wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:28 pm
DonDon wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:25 pm I have this from a previous life (currently £17.97 and the OBD door on my Z4 closes):

What’s the name of the product ? The link is asking me to change countries to the U.K. One Brexit was enough. 😄😄😄
Torque Pro Elm 327

PS One Brexit was one too many :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
2013 E89 28i auto

AnubisZed

Digital Cluster

Post by AnubisZed » Tue May 30, 2023 5:15 pm

Marcoose wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:47 pm I’d love a cluster for spirited drives. RPM, gear, oil temp. Large font. Very simple.

At the risk of sounding critical, this one is off the mark by a country mile.
- Expensive (and not returnable ?) Yes, totally agree
- Imperfect fit Fit is fine, no gaps and all squared up nicely
- Wrong car image Yes dissapointing to say the least
- Bad English (door is not closed, why not ‘door open’?) Well actually "door is not closed" isn't wrong, as it may not have closed properly hence not open but not closed either!
- Not plug and play (Loads of programming/adjustments) So do the factory ones (on current BMW's), but you don't see that, but once set up it's finished with.
- Not information I need when I need it As in? The readouts for Constant MPG, Coolant Temp, Oil Temp, Distance to empty and Battery voltage can be set to be on the screen in all themes and if you are in Sport+ theme you can also have readings from Start up (mileage, elapsed time, Average fuel and average speed)
- Unknown performance with glare Yeah there is some glare, but not a lot. The only issue I've had is with the sun being in the absolute worst place, which was directly behind me (between the headrests), low in the sky and I was going down hill, but that was the only time and I could still see the speed numbers

I find it gimmicky, made to be flashy. As-is, even if gifted, I’d pass. It needs work.

It reminds me of those stereos CD players with removable front from the 90s. They had 36 flashy colours, buttons and functions like they were going out of fashion, when all I wanted was good music.
My personal opinion is that it should have been half the price, and I was very surprised when I found the price out. I think it appeals to a certain type, and that certainly isn't the puerists amongst us.
I never went into this thinking that it would fly off the shelves and everyone would want one, I did, however, think that I'd do this to let people see what is available, as I do with all the mods on my YouTube channel, they are there for refferance :thumbsup: :driving:
Dave

Marcoose

Digital Cluster

Post by Marcoose » Tue May 30, 2023 10:12 pm

Dave, to be clear, if I were buying a Z4 and the one I loved had this cluster, it would NOT be a deal-killer. I reckon I wouldn't even notice it anymore within two months of ownership. I'm not bashing it. It just needs work.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Digital Cluster

Post by B21 » Tue May 30, 2023 10:45 pm

Give or take its plusses and minuses it doesn't really do anything that the stock analogue setup does..and I don't think this Forum generally spends money on things that don't give something positive..well apart from wheels, tyres, audio systems etc etc etc :rofl:

If it did something clever like remote the map to the display like a carplay then it would be great..but that's massively difficult..

The carplay for example gives a major benefit (IMHO) but that at half the price doesn't get that many punters..

Its good you trail blaze..please carry on.. we are all behind you..some a greater distance than others..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: