Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Explosive airbags. Problem?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Tue May 30, 2023 3:38 pm

Not sure if this has been posted already but something slightly unnerving popped into my youtube suggested feed today and raised a few hairs on the back of my neck.
ARC is a company who makes airbags placed into millions of vehicles across many manufacturers.
I spotted the BMW roundel in the report so it would be interesting to know if this will become an issue to worry z-owners too I suspect.
Personally, I would be reassured to know if mine isn’t going to go pop in my face for no reason. I have all my own teeth and I’d like to hang onto them a while longer if possible!
Anyone have any insights into which manufacturer is responsible for z-car steering wheel airbags? Any labels spotted on the units when taken out to refurb steering wheels etc?
:cry:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

j3nks79

Post by j3nks79 » Tue May 30, 2023 3:49 pm

I know the E46 had an airbag recall. Not heard anything for the E85/6
Last Carbon Black E86 rhd off the production line. 2/8/08 build. 2009 09 Registered.

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Tue May 30, 2023 4:40 pm

Airbags in American market cars are far more powerful than UK market ones as Americans typically don't use seatbelts so the airbag needs to deploy more quickly. The USA airbag laws require the bag to able to "save the life" of an unbelted typical adult.

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Tue May 30, 2023 6:43 pm

BMW airbags of the mid-00s were made by that Japanese company that went phut over a similar problem rather than ARC. There are ongoing recalls for E46 and E53. When I was trying to book mine in, I tried finding out if the E85 was affected but couldn't get an answer (it wasn't that she was stalling, she must have been blindingly pretty as she was struggling with the concept of booking two cars in for the same problem on the same day but with enough time between the slots that I could get home to swap cars.)
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue May 30, 2023 7:07 pm

This is a topic on the F3x forums. A recall has been issued for (so far) mostly 2015 Fxx cars in the UK.
There is no recall for my 2013 E89 (yet).
The airbags are apparently too powerful and can (and I quote from the BMW recall) "cause serious injury or fatality" which is re-assuring!

So owners have been contacting BMW dealers but there is no supply of the parts until at least July!
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

DMike

Post by DMike » Tue May 30, 2023 7:11 pm

Checked recently from a couple of recall sites and did not find any airbag recalls for e85s. BMW does also have a VIN-based search, found none for mine. https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/footer/quick- ... calls.html
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey