Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Run Flats or Not Run Flats

IanzZ4

Post by IanzZ4 » Mon May 15, 2023 5:46 pm

Hi All, Just back from the workshop.

The good news is everything under the car is straight, in good condition and in full working order, which is a relief.

Now for the interesting bit.....

The Yokohama run flats fitted on the front aren't new. They're deceptive, with a good level of tread showing on both. However, on close inspection of the side walls and cleaning off the tyre paint, many small cracks in the rubber are revealed. Either they are perished, or it maybe due to them having been 'run flat' and repaired, which is a no no. The garage's opinion is that these structurally worn out Yokohama's on the front is the main cause of my car's directional troubles. The combination of the budget Churchills on the rear and the fact they are all run flats just serves to make the situation worse and worse.

Armed with this plausible diagnosis I feel confident now to spend the money on a new set of premium, non-run flat tyres; Michelins judging by your experiences and that will get me a BMW that handles like one should.

I'll get that sorted in the next week or so and post the result.

BTW - I had the AC re-gassed during this workshop visit. The system was absolutely empty, so hopefully it's not a leak and has just happened because previous owners didn't realise it's not good to switch your AC off for long periods. Anyway as I say, hopefully, that won't turn into another topic.

Thanks once again for all your help and advice to date. You were all right to point toward the tyres.

Best regards

Ian

PS To anyone based in the Maldon, Essex area I would highly recommend Hallmark Autos in Heybridge.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon May 15, 2023 6:03 pm

Good news indeed.
To add to your tyre choices, I am a fan of the Goodyear Assy5, though I believe there is now an Assy6 out there too.
There are many opinions and you'll probably find that, like me, people have tried one and liked it.
The differences in performance are so subtle that you probably would hardly notice.
Of course, on a forum, everyone is channelling Ayrton Senna so they will give you infinitesimal detail on the differences. :poke: :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon May 15, 2023 6:09 pm

IanzZ4 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:46 pm Hi All, Just back from the workshop.

The good news is everything under the car is straight, in good condition and in full working order, which is a relief.
That's great news. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Mon May 15, 2023 6:14 pm

Great news :thumbsup:
And another vote for Goodyear Eagle F1's too. I'm running Asymmetrical 6's on my car and they're a good priced alternative to Pilot Sports. You can probably pick up a set of Assy 5's for less too as they've only recently been superseded.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

IanzZ4

Post by IanzZ4 » Mon May 29, 2023 7:44 pm

Hi all,

I took the plunge and had a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 5’s fitted to my car last Tuesday. The transformation was immediate. The car stays straight when I want it to too and grips like I expected it too round the twisty bits. No vagueness or tram lining. This is now the car I thought I was buying in the first place.

It looks like premium non run flats is the way to go in my case. Difficult to say whether it was the mix of cheap tyres or the run flat capability or both. I’m just glad it’s sorted.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. Hopefully my experience will help others in the future.

Best regards

Ian

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon May 29, 2023 8:27 pm

IanzZ4 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:44 pm Hi all,

I took the plunge and had a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 5’s fitted to my car last Tuesday. The transformation was immediate. The car stays straight when I want it to too and grips like I expected it too round the twisty bits. No vagueness or tram lining. This is now the car I thought I was buying in the first place.
Good news. Glad it's sorted. Interested to know the date on the Yokos?

Don't forget a can of 'tyre weld' for the boot just in case! :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Mon May 29, 2023 10:00 pm

& a compressor.

As it happens I have a spare one in the garage.
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

IanzZ4

Post by IanzZ4 » Tue May 30, 2023 6:23 pm

Hi, Googling the specific Yokohamas threw up hits from 2014. As I said, they were perfect just cracked and scuffed on the side walls.

Best regards

Ian

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:31 am

IanzZ4 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:23 pm Hi, Googling the specific Yokohamas threw up hits from 2014. As I said, they were perfect just cracked and scuffed on the side walls.
Best regards
Ian
Tyres can be deceptive though, can't they? 6 years is the industry standard maximum age, so they were much too old whether they looked "perfect" or not.
Vidi, vici, veni

Nizzy

Post by Nizzy » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:40 am

Pondrew wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:27 pm
IanzZ4 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:44 pm Hi all,

Good news. Glad it's sorted. Interested to know the date on the Yokos?

Don't forget a can of 'tyre weld' for the boot just in case! :thumbsup:
I carry two large cans of tyre weld. Just as well as the first one failed last year when I had a puncture!

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:41 am

One of the reasons my garage queen goes up on blocks when garaged on SORN
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54