Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Odd engine behaviour and hesitation

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
TOMGREEN413

Post by TOMGREEN413 » Mon May 29, 2023 11:05 pm

I was curious to know whether there is something up in my engine department after my engine experienced a funny 5 minutes.
So after a faultless drive , I parked up at the beach for several hour in the hot sun, returned to car and she drove perfectly for about 10 minutes until l reached a dual carriage way where I attempted to give it some beans.......on putting my foot down I could feel a very slight hesitation and it seemed like even with my foot flat down somewhere I'd lost 100bhp, very much feeling a lack of power and the car felt it was struggling to build up its revs, or putting it another way.....I'd describe the car feeling like it was driving on glue and holding back on me. Being far from home I continued to drive the rest of the journey with a gentle right foot and she performed fine as I wasn't asking for full power. Now as my fuel gauge was showing just 80 miles left in the tank l then filled up with fuel and drove gently back home. Later in the evening when the engine had cooled l took her out for a local blast to reevaluate the situation to find everything power wise back to normal?? Could the problem have been either low fuel in the tank causing fuel cavitation or vaporisation agrivatted by being parked in the sun for hours or maybe a sticking Disa Valve again agrivatted by high ambient temperatures?? The vanos solenoids have recently been replaced ( peirboug fitted) so I think they shouldn't be an issue.
What's your thoughts guys?
White e89 Red leather interior (But that's the wife's and don't I know it :/ )
Montego Blue Coupe manual si sport 💙 (Faster than the above....much faster :)

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon May 29, 2023 11:17 pm

Could this be connected to the TPMS issue? If a sensor is playing up then it could have kicked in the traction control and backed off power.

Guess what the next sentence is………

Check the codes
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

TOMGREEN413

Post by TOMGREEN413 » Mon May 29, 2023 11:29 pm

Excellent point, I think you could be onto something as I forgot to mention when I took her out later that evening and everything seemed to be fine again it was during that run the warning light came on,,....coincidence or are these oddities somehow linked? Yes, I must get a code reader this week ASAP. I unfortunately do have another issue regarding a ratting front alloy brake heat shield but I'll save that for a later date.... :headbang:

chanlon1

Post by chanlon1 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:54 pm

TOMGREEN413 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:29 pm I unfortunately do have another issue regarding a ratting front alloy brake heat shield but I'll save that for a later date.... :headbang:
Here’s a bullet proof quick fix. I had exactly the same issue, made a hell of a noise. Kept thinking it was under the car till I happened to have the wheel off one day and discovered the heat shield was completely loose.
Here’s the fix I did on both sides that had been perfect for the last few months.
At the top of the shield there should be a pre drilled hole.
Slide a cable tie through the hole and round the suspension. Tighten it as hard a you can. Issue solved!!
Excuse the poor photo. Just took it through the wheel.
IMG_9298.jpeg
IMG_9298.jpeg (113.45 KiB) Viewed 149 times
E86 Z4 Coupe 2006 Silver

TOMGREEN413

Post by TOMGREEN413 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:54 am

Thanks for the photos and advice,,,,,,,,,,,obviously great minds think alike, that's exactly what I did to remedy the fault although I used 3mm garden wire :thumbsup: