Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Back box deleted

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
zedwheels

Back box deleted

Post by zedwheels » Mon May 29, 2023 4:17 pm

Hi. One of the things that I want to do to my recently purchased Zed is to re-attach the old back box to the exhaust. Whats the best way to get this done I'm wondering. When it was cut off the cut between the two parts is not that good so not able to weld it back together. It's also close the a bend in the pipes! I've got sleeves for joining but they will extend the exhaust length and it will be sticking out too far then :cry:

Any suggestions from others that's already done this ??

I'm having the wheels refurbed this week so once I've done these two jobs I'm giving my wallet some time off :)

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Back box deleted

Post by enuff_zed » Mon May 29, 2023 4:19 pm

Can you cut a bit off the back box pipes then sleeve it ?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Back box deleted

Post by Pondrew » Mon May 29, 2023 4:41 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:19 pm Can you cut a bit off the back box pipes then sleeve it ?
Or cut the sleeves down. Surely only needs enough overlap to get a clamp on?
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Street

Back box deleted

Post by Street » Mon May 29, 2023 5:16 pm

^ That’s what I was thinking. The sleeve won’t extend the exhaust will it? I thought the exhaust pretty much alligns up where it used to be and the sleeve sits over the top?
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

3.0si Coupe Sapphire Black Target 300k miles
Serial Zed tinkerer. Always looking for the next Zed project :D

pilch

Back box deleted

Post by pilch » Mon May 29, 2023 7:12 pm

Sleeve it, what I did with mine :thumbsup:

zedwheels

Back box deleted

Post by zedwheels » Mon May 29, 2023 8:14 pm

I have'nt attempted anything yet, but just had a quick look underneath and it looked like cut ends too close to the bends both back box cuts and the bends of the existing pipes. The sleeves look to have a collar each side with about 35mm straight so unless I can cut about 18mm off each it would end up adding that to the exhaust length?
OK advice is in line with my assumptions so only way is to get under there and get on with the job. Thanks for answers, appreciated.

zedwheels

Back box deleted

Post by zedwheels » Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:44 pm

All done today :thumbsup: The back box is back on the car and to me it's a much better drive.

Yesterday though with all this fab weather we're having I found that the air con is out of gas. So that's the next job now :cry: Oh well it's a 17 year old machine after all with 69K under its bonnet so to be expected I suppose.