Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Why does this wire kill my electrics?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
SimonAW

Post by SimonAW » Sat May 27, 2023 5:33 pm

I've been fault finding my Z4 for a few days, it has had intermitted electrical faults which like so many others on the forum, I tracked to the airbag module between the seats. I fixed a broken connector pin on it and my electrics are now solid as a rock, sorted.

One thing was annoying me that the radio says "disabled", not a big deal but I wanted to see if I could check all the other cabling in the car to see if anything obvious could be causing it. I have checked all the other airbag modules and they are all clean with no water damage, but I did find this cable block which is located behind the passenger side rear storage hole. It has what looks like a data wire disconnected, so I plugged it back in, reconnected the battery and random electrical issues occured, no windows, no roof, lights on the dash cluster not appearing, airbag light on...and probably other stuff i missed. I pulled the wire back out of the block and the car is back to normal again..all good.

So can the hive mind of the forum tell me what the wire is for and why you think it might be affecting the electrics like it is? One thing to note is that I have the factory ipod module fitted and the fuse for the cd changer is removed, not sure if that makes any difference, the rest of the car is stock.

First picture shows the location of the block.

Second Picture is the wire in question

Third picture is the hole it should be in?

Fourth picture is the opposite side of the block.
Attachments
IMG_1612.jpeg
IMG_1612.jpeg (175.19 KiB) Viewed 269 times
IMG_1614.jpeg
IMG_1614.jpeg (141.27 KiB) Viewed 269 times
IMG_1615.jpeg
IMG_1615.jpeg (92.08 KiB) Viewed 269 times
IMG_1616.jpeg
IMG_1616.jpeg (112.78 KiB) Viewed 269 times

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Sat May 27, 2023 6:30 pm

How certain are you it goes there, it looks like there's 2 possible wires on bottom row of connector or the other one on top row, next time mines out I'll pull storage bin and have look
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Sat May 27, 2023 6:36 pm

its worth a look on the wiring diagram- but it looks like it should go in that hole to meet the same coloured wire the other side of the plug-

Still worth a check though
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Sat May 27, 2023 6:37 pm

I'll stand corrected but I think that plug is the power to the hood assembly?
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Sat May 27, 2023 6:39 pm

bigwinn wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:36 pm its worth a look on the wiring diagram- but it looks like it should go in that hole to meet the same coloured wire the other side of the plug-

Have you not got one outside in many pieces to take a look at :rofl:
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Sat May 27, 2023 6:40 pm

The smart top module for e85 plugs in somewhere around there. And yes there is a smart top for e85 before anybody just down my throat

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Sat May 27, 2023 6:41 pm

Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 18.40.28.png
Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 18.40.28.png (279.5 KiB) Viewed 248 times
This wire- WS/RT/GE is white/red/gold?

EWS Delete PM me

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Sat May 27, 2023 6:41 pm

markplant wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:39 pm
bigwinn wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:36 pm its worth a look on the wiring diagram- but it looks like it should go in that hole to meet the same coloured wire the other side of the plug-

Have you not got one outside in many pieces to take a look at :rofl:
too many Mark!!!

EWS Delete PM me

SimonAW

Post by SimonAW » Sat May 27, 2023 7:16 pm

Thanks for the replies so far. I presume it goes in that hole as it was kind if half in half out when i first found it and presumed it was just not fitted correctly, but i wonder if someone had pulled it out on purpose at some point?

I wonder if the next port of call is to check the x10116 which i think is behind the dash near the fuse box?

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Sun May 28, 2023 9:24 am

That's a kbus wire so if it's in the wrong place, only partial connection or the module it's attached to is faulty that will explain all the electrical problems. Hence my guess about the dodgy module pin earlier.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

SimonAW

Post by SimonAW » Sun May 28, 2023 12:31 pm

If I leave the wire unplugged, as I found it, everything in the car works as it should as far as I can tell.

If I plug it in, my OBD reader cannot communicate with any of the airbag modules, the roof and windows don't work, the dash lights are all random, airbag light is on and probably some other i missed.

Obviously I can leave it unplugged and the car is working fine, but it will niggle at me untill i know what it is meant to be connected to. The Radio still says "disabled" but I am unsure if they are related as I think the radio issue is related to the ibus (white/grey/yellow), but I am no expert so happy to be corrected.

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Sun May 28, 2023 2:12 pm

Basically one of the modules on the kbus is scrambling the data. To identify them you're probably reduced to unplugging them one by one and see when it settles down, or use INPA etc to see which one won't talk.

The radio is part of the same problem. It talks to other modules in the car to decide if it should work or not, rather than having a code.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot