Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2.5si intermittent issue

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
dorris9

2.5si intermittent issue

Post by dorris9 » Sat May 27, 2023 9:05 pm

Hello all.

Looking for some advice around an issue I am experiencing please.

My 2.5si is experiencing a bit of an "intermittent fault".

It started with an issue of bogging down on power up to 3k revs on a motorway drive, vanos solenoids replaced with genuine BMW parts (80k miles) and the issue went away.

Around 500 miles later experienced an issue whereby after a circa 50 mile drive (mixture of town/motorway/dual carriagway) the car started to struggle to idle properly when coming off at slip Road dropping through gears, to the point that it stalled. Restarted and revs erratic on blip of throttle (initallity not reacting then shooting up over 3k then dropping back down to point of near stalling) engine light on and limped home the short distance. Tested it with the MAF sensor disconnected and issue seemed to go away - MAF sensor given a good clean and the issue cleared itself.

Around 300 miles later I have had a similar experience, albeit it didn't stallthis time. Jumped back in the next day and engine light was on, short drive and the light cleared and the car feels back to normal again - idle is fine and no issues with power. Then again the same issue has happened a few hundred miles later - but no engine light this time. It seems to be after a longer drive including the motorway where this is happening so not sure if any link...

Wondering if anyone has any similar experiences and suggestions on a way forward?

Thanks

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

2.5si intermittent issue

Post by bigwinn » Sat May 27, 2023 9:08 pm

Initial gut feel would be an air leak

Any codes?
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Roberltd2

2.5si intermittent issue

Post by Roberltd2 » Sat May 27, 2023 10:13 pm

Possibly the cam cover gasket has hardened, gone brittle & perished .
This happened to me earlier on this year and resulted in erratic idling and EML warnings etc. Oil was leaking out as well and had contaminated the eccentric shaft sensor which I also replaced.
As in your case, it was intermittent early on but got worse as time went on, to the point where the car became undriveable.
New gaskets, seals and sensor and she's running great once again.
Mine is a 2007 2.5si.
Robert.
2007 E85 2.5 si Sport in Montego Blue.
1994 Eunos J2Ltd - sold and now undergoing restoration.
1963 Triumph Thunderbird.

j3nks79

2.5si intermittent issue

Post by j3nks79 » Sat May 27, 2023 10:29 pm

If the car ran ok once the MAF sensor was disconnected then the MAF is faulty.
The car will run on a base line map with it disconnected.
What fault codes have you got?
Last Carbon Black E86 rhd off the production line. 2/8/08 build. 2009 09 Registered.

dorris9

2.5si intermittent issue

Post by dorris9 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:47 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I've been trying to get it booked in somewhere local to run a diagnostic but struggling to get somewhere to take it.

Is there anyone local in South Wales that anyone reccomends (I can't find any of use in Swansea) ? Or anyone on here with a reader that may be able to take a look?