Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What F1 was

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

What F1 was

Post by Chris_D » Thu May 25, 2023 9:26 pm

The heyday for me personally; the 'Turbo era'.

Turbo's, drivers with at least a modicum of charisma/personality, proper manly-men type gear changes, few or no team orders, races won on the track and not from in the pits (even at Monaco). Tell me F1 hasn't been in a slow, gradual decline ever since.
F1 is just sh!t on a stick in comparison these days.

Some of those camera angles are epic.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

jenniferlouise

What F1 was

Post by jenniferlouise » Fri May 26, 2023 8:29 am

Great noise, great cars. You’re just missing Murray Walker :driving:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

What F1 was

Post by buzyg » Fri May 26, 2023 8:43 am

Those were indeed the days. Don't"t know what it is like now. I have given up watching. :cry:

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

What F1 was

Post by MikeyH » Fri May 26, 2023 9:41 am

Started watching again when Lewis Hamilton was winning but got bored with it. Haven't watch properly since the days of James Hunt etc. Got fed up with the Germans winning all the time. Shoemuckers.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

What F1 was

Post by Pondrew » Fri May 26, 2023 9:56 am

I went to the British GP in around 1988 as a contractor, so got a pass to access everywhere for the whole weekend. Standing in the pit lane when they fired up and revved the cars was an amazing experience. They revved so quickly it sounded like a dog's bark.

The heyday for me was the early '90s with Williams and Mansell. Had a slight affinity with Williams as I worked opposite their factory in Didcot for a while and my mate was always there mending their CNC milling machines.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

1536Z4

What F1 was

Post by 1536Z4 » Fri May 26, 2023 10:28 am

Don`t watch it anymore apart from the 10 minute highlights if I see it on YouTube . Mainly watch the endurance racing or rallying . Get yourself to a historic racing event and take a big sniff of the air in the pits :D
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

What F1 was

Post by GuidoK » Fri May 26, 2023 11:28 am

For me the heyday was Senna vs. Prost. (and I was 100% Senna of course :wink: )
So that video falls exactly in that era. Senna showed some ultimate moves and control in his car back in those days, especially when it rained.

The 2021 season gave a similar vibe to that era. Including some FIA controversy (as if Jean-Marie himself was back again :lol: )
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

What F1 was

Post by Chris_D » Fri May 26, 2023 8:39 pm

GuidoK wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:28 am I was 100% Senna of course :wink:
Don't get me started on that sleazeball Balestre and that bent-nosed frog!
Balestre admitted later that he fixed Japan 89 in favour of Prost. The derty onion-stinking fekkers! lol
But the controversy made for some exceptional performances by Senna and eventual world championships for him though.

Well, maybe if F1 was more about driver aptitude and more evenly-matched racing on track rather than technical characteristics of the cars giving win/no-win definition it would be more interesting.
As it is, these days you win or lose a race based on if car upgrades are going to be available at the next race.
WTF? Just rubbish.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

What F1 was

Post by TitanTim » Fri May 26, 2023 10:18 pm

Without a doubt the Senna, Prost, Mansell years and of course Murray Walker, never missed a race. Cars are safer today but thats it.

Never watch it anymore :(

Always love this clip, Senna was always ahead of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jxSjt3wU3s&t=21s

Tim.

BeeEmm

What F1 was

Post by BeeEmm » Sat May 27, 2023 10:05 pm

Senna was a great driver but towards the end of his career he was dependent on others giving way otherwise he crashed into them. He rear ended Wurtz at Monaco coming out of the tunnel and stopped him having his first podium. He was angry when Eddie Irving unlapped himself by passing him and later blamed Irvine. Eddie did nothing wrong and was racing. I have the greatest respect for Senna, but like many before him he started to make mistakes and wanted a car low on suspension to give more speed but on a bumpy track at Imola....
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

What F1 was

Post by Pondrew » Sat May 27, 2023 11:20 pm

BeeEmm wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:05 pm Senna was a great driver but towards the end of his career he was dependent on others giving way otherwise he crashed into them. He rear ended Wurtz at Monaco coming out of the tunnel and stopped him having his first podium. He was angry when Eddie Irving unlapped himself by passing him and later blamed Irvine. Eddie did nothing wrong and was racing. I have the greatest respect for Senna, but like many before him he started to make mistakes and wanted a car low on suspension to give more speed but on a bumpy track at Imola....
Poor old Roland Ratzenberger never gets a mention though, as Senna took all the headlines that weekend.
As I said earlier, I worked opposite the Williams factory at Didcot in the '90s. The gates to their factory became a shrine to Senna. Never seen so many flowers in one place.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

What F1 was

Post by TitanTim » Sun May 28, 2023 8:15 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:20 pm
BeeEmm wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:05 pm Senna was a great driver but towards the end of his career he was dependent on others giving way otherwise he crashed into them. He rear ended Wurtz at Monaco coming out of the tunnel and stopped him having his first podium. He was angry when Eddie Irving unlapped himself by passing him and later blamed Irvine. Eddie did nothing wrong and was racing. I have the greatest respect for Senna, but like many before him he started to make mistakes and wanted a car low on suspension to give more speed but on a bumpy track at Imola....
Poor old Roland Ratzenberger never gets a mention though, as Senna took all the headlines that weekend.
As I said earlier, I worked opposite the Williams factory at Didcot in the '90s. The gates to their factory became a shrine to Senna. Never seen so many flowers in one place.
It was a bad weekend alround :( I was on holiday at St Helier at the time and didn't have a mobile phone or internet back then. I only found out on the Monday when seeing the newpapers.

Tim.