Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Clamp holding cat to turbo exhaust digging into steering column knuckle

LewBon

Post by LewBon » Wed May 24, 2023 2:57 pm

The clamp that connects the cat to the what I guess is the turbo exhaust has rotated, and the tightening bolt of it is just a couple mm away from the steering column knuckle. Accelerating torques the engine enough to make the bolt dig into the knuckle, creating the god awful grinding when I steer — and stops me steering under particularly heavy acceleration or braking.

I cannot get any socket I own on this nut — jacked the car, turned the steering — can’t make enough clearance to undo the bolt and reposition. I can get the circle side of a spanner on, but then no lateral movement available to undo it—- the nut being on the underside of the bolt in the area circled!

Has anyone experienced this??
Attachments
C9304A7A-8CFA-4CBB-9C04-C16CA96AB28E.jpeg
C9304A7A-8CFA-4CBB-9C04-C16CA96AB28E.jpeg (93.91 KiB) Viewed 239 times

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Wed May 24, 2023 4:59 pm

No but that looks bloody dangerous.. :tumbleweed: :thumbsdown:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Fri May 26, 2023 10:50 pm

LewBon wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:57 pm The clamp that connects the cat to the what I guess is the turbo exhaust has rotated, and the tightening bolt of it is just a couple mm away from the steering column knuckle. Accelerating torques the engine enough to make the bolt dig into the knuckle, creating the god awful grinding when I steer — and stops me steering under particularly heavy acceleration or braking.

I cannot get any socket I own on this nut — jacked the car, turned the steering — can’t make enough clearance to undo the bolt and reposition. I can get the circle side of a spanner on, but then no lateral movement available to undo it—- the nut being on the underside of the bolt in the area circled!

Has anyone experienced this??
You need to access it from above, just get your arm down the side of the engine. Should be able to get a socket onto it, loosen it a bit then give it a few sharp taps to break it loose then reclock it and tighten it again.