Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Outdoor car covers...bear with me

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Thu May 18, 2023 11:35 am

Think I would always go for a decent outside cover and risk the odd bit of condensation. As mentioned stuff like UV light, bird crap, dust, pollen and alsorts landing on the car will be far worse, I would say UV is the most detrimental for any car left outside for long periods without normal washing, adding protection etc.

Also consider if leaving the car for extended periods, battery, tyres, brakes, fuel stabiliser etc and often overlooked rodents.

I'm lucky that I can store my 140i over winter in a garage but I'll still check it every other week for rodents especially in winter. I have plenty of traps/pellets around the car as rodent damage can be a real problem :cry:

Tim.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Thu May 18, 2023 1:13 pm

The Z I bought had been under a cover for a year. It absolutely stinks inside and we spent ages cleaning the mould of the back of the seats and the plastics. Even did the airco bomb to try to get rid of it, it we still have some work to do as when parked in the sun with the roof closed it still doesn’t smell right.

Never a cover for me
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Thu May 18, 2023 1:26 pm

pvr wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 1:13 pm The Z I bought had been under a cover for a year. It absolutely stinks inside and we spent ages cleaning the mould of the back of the seats and the plastics. Even did the airco bomb to try to get rid of it, it we still have some work to do as when parked in the sun with the roof closed it still doesn’t smell right.

Never a cover for me
That did cross my mind but if under a wateroroof car cover can't the window be down slightly to air the interior?

Always have the windows closed when storing and never suffered mould or bad smells but then it is in a dry environment. I have thought of leaving a window down slightly but thought it would allow any damp air into the car and make things worse :?

Tim.

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Thu May 18, 2023 1:36 pm

pvr wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 1:13 pm The Z I bought had been under a cover for a year. It absolutely stinks inside and we spent ages cleaning the mould of the back of the seats and the plastics. Even did the airco bomb to try to get rid of it, it we still have some work to do as when parked in the sun with the roof closed it still doesn’t smell right.

Never a cover for me
Our Zed stars are still aligned, as pretty much exactly the same with mine (no mould though). I sprayed the interior carpets with Autoglym Odour Eliminator a few weeks back though and seems to have solved the smell of undercover roadster inactivity.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AUTOSTYLE-AG-6 ... eddba1bf6a
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Thu May 18, 2023 1:39 pm

Never a cover for me
Any car will eventually go mouldy inside with or without a cover installed, if not parked in a dry garage.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Thu May 18, 2023 3:13 pm

I am sure it will, but the cover will provide a nice breeding condition for mould though. Damp and warm :?
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Thu May 18, 2023 4:27 pm

pvr wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:13 pm I am sure it will, but the cover will provide a nice breeding condition for mould though. Damp and warm :?
Not if you have a good breathable cover..

I had two cars side by side here in the borders over winter..one under a cover the other not..guess which one had more mold..yup the one without a cover.. :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu May 18, 2023 9:58 pm

pvr wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:13 pm I am sure it will, but the cover will provide a nice breeding condition for mould though. Damp and warm
You forgot DARK!
Mould loves the dark. It is also quite a fan of anaerobic conditions. All found in abundance in a car under cover.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!