Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 Roof Doctor Required! - E. Midlands

peng

Post by peng » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:42 pm

RobbiZ4 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:34 pm
peng wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:54 pm ..and my guy made sure to replace the switches while he was at it...
Which ones exactly? There are 5 microswitches mounted in the roof.

One very important thing is that some bolts/nuts need to be marked in their original position before removing.
If your guy didn't do this, then everything might not work as expected.

And it should be a cautionary tale for all other DIYers. Repairing the E89 roofs is a very special job.
You need endless amounts of time to test and learn on a working roof, like I did. When you start with a roof that is already broken, it's easy to make major mistakes.

You can order me to the Netherlands or visit me in Neuffen.
https://www.staiger-neuffen.de/bmw-z4-e ... notdienst/
Thanks, I've sent him a screenshot of your reply, asking about the switches. He's really not inexperienced, been working on quite a few other Z4's, but I'm sure you've done a lot more z4 roof work of course. Does the temperature thing make any sense to you? It's so weird that all is working fine when at the right temp. (I'm secretly hoping it all will work good in the summer, but still....)

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:24 am

peng wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:42 pm Does the temperature thing make any sense to you? It's so weird that all is working fine when at the right temp. (I'm secretly hoping it all will work good in the summer, but still....)
Didn't see a temp. issue in the past on any E89, except on hydraulic pumps massively damaged by water.

'Roof movement impaired' is the message for any missing, wrong or in deed delayed sensor signal.
This can be caused by defective sensors, wrong positioned sensors, mechanically issues after rebuilding the roof components or damaged wires anywhere in the reworked hydraulic harness.
The correct timing of all signals is important over the complete opening or closing process.
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

peng

Post by peng » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:50 pm

RobbiZ4 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:24 am
peng wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:42 pm Does the temperature thing make any sense to you? It's so weird that all is working fine when at the right temp. (I'm secretly hoping it all will work good in the summer, but still....)
Didn't see a temp. issue in the past on any E89, except on hydraulic pumps massively damaged by water.

'Roof movement impaired' is the message for any missing, wrong or in deed delayed sensor signal.
This can be caused by defective sensors, wrong positioned sensors, mechanically issues after rebuilding the roof components or damaged wires anywhere in the reworked hydraulic harness.
The correct timing of all signals is important over the complete opening or closing process.
Thanks that is useful info... I will tell him!

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:41 am

peng wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:50 pm Thanks that is useful info... I will tell him!
Any update or did you kill him in between? :cry:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

peng

Post by peng » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:20 pm

RobbiZ4 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:41 am
peng wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:50 pm Thanks that is useful info... I will tell him!
Any update or did you kill him in between? :cry:
Sorry for the late reply!.. Ha ha, No he's still very much alive. He's bummed out as much as I am though, and he's definitely gone above & beyond in trying to fix this... but the problem unfortunately still persists! Next thing he wants to try is to replace the cabling. (Please insert 'I told you so' here... :oops: )

Now that the weather is warming up I'm re-considering the cause being related only to temperature... Although I do still believe it is a -factor- I do observe that now that temperatures get warmer the issue still persists (even at close to 20 degree Celsius)...

The only thing that seems a -constant- is the fact that the roof warnings only seem to occur after the car has been standing still for some time. (not sure how much time 'some' is yet...)

The latest theory someone told me: (my neighbour who's an aircraft mechanic) is that he believes it may be related with the hydraulic oil having a air 'bubble' somewhere, that gets compressed and might change the timing of the roof closing, causing the warning. Keeping in mind that all this started after a repair of a broken hydraulic line there is some merit to this theory..

I'm not sure if this theory is grasping at straws, but just to be on the safe side I've mentioned it to my mechanic.
This Friday the car is going to the shop again..

Although the issue is a PITA, I'm actually quite happy he's very persistent! My previous garage left me out hanging dry when I had roof issues with my old E46. The mechanic I'm going to now is hanging in there & keeps digging.

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:31 am

peng wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:20 pm Next thing he wants to try is to replace the cabling. (Please insert 'I told you so' here... :oops: )
No.
peng wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:20 pm ...the hydraulic oil having a air 'bubble' somewhere, that gets compressed and might change the timing of the roof closing, causing the warning.
No.
RobbiZ4 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:15 pm I've been in the Netherlands last Sunday, so it's a pity to not get informed or contacted before.
We've just been back in NL on the easter days last week.
As I'll come back once again in the next about 4 weeks, we should get in contact and I should run a diagnostic with my Y3 diagnostic system. Then the issue can be resolved finally.

Gimme a call...
Last edited by RobbiZ4 on Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:09 pm

peng wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:20 pm Thanks that is useful info... I will tell him!
Today I got in contact with another E89 guy in Zandvoort with a non working roof. Maybe we can coordinate both issues to reduce the travelling expenses.
Gimme a call...
Last edited by RobbiZ4 on Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

peng

Post by peng » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:05 pm

RobbiZ4 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:09 pm
peng wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:20 pm Thanks that is useful info... I will tell him!
Today I got in contact with another E89 guy in Zandvoort with a non working roof. Maybe we can coordinate both issues to reduce the travelling expenses.
Gimme a call...
That would be great, Zandvoort is about 30 KM away from me, so just around the corner.
I'll give you a call tomorrow!

DonDon

Post by DonDon » Tue May 16, 2023 7:40 am

There is some fantastic info in here if you follow all of the links. Looks like I have some preventative maintenance ahead of me ;-)

Did this sorry tale ever reach a conclusion?
2013 E89 28i auto

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:12 pm

DonDon wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:40 am There is some fantastic info in here if you follow all of the links. Looks like I have some preventative maintenance ahead of me ;-)

Did this sorry tale ever reach a conclusion?
Sorry for my late response!

Yes it did. We got in contact, made a diagnose with my Y3 diagnostic system and identified the source of these long lasting issues. The Z4 was back on the road after some hours. We went together to the beach and joined a beer. :tumbleweed:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932