Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bent Wheel Repair

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
javis20

Bent Wheel Repair

Post by javis20 » Sat May 13, 2023 2:03 pm

Thoughts on professional wheel repair. A pothole must have damaged my rear style 325 wheel. Replace with new, have it repaired by a wheel specialty shop or just buy an already repaired wheel from wheel specialty shop?
Best price I can find on a new wheel is around $500. Remanufactured wheel from specialty shop is $290. That includes refinishing. If I have them repair my wheel, it could be anywhere from $100 to $290, depending if they just straighten or also refinish.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Bent Wheel Repair

Post by B21 » Sat May 13, 2023 3:14 pm

Professional repair shop can assess whether your wheel is suitable for repair..

I’ve just had two done for £120 in the UK…

Can’t tell it was ever damaged…

I used to poo poo the idea but joined the ranks of the converted…of course define professional ! :tumbleweed:

See my thread on bent wheel repair… :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Bent Wheel Repair

Post by Pondrew » Sat May 13, 2023 6:51 pm

If you can find a tyre place with a straightening machine (basically a lathe with a big heavy hydraulic arm and a curved weight), they should be able to assess whether the wheel can be straightened. If it is cracked and buckled they won't (or shouldn't) try and straighten it, as the cracks will just get worse.
They generally heat the buckled area then use the lathe. It can make it look a bit messy. The 325M is a painted wheel, so can be re-painted afterwards if necessary.

Straightening does make the wheel weaker, so worth bearing in mind.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!