Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Daily Driver

Discussing the current generation Z4
davidmaz

Daily Driver

Post by davidmaz » Mon May 08, 2023 6:33 pm

Hello everyone, I am currently strongly considering buying a used Z4 (2019 onwards) and just need to get a feel for a couple of areas.

I would be parking this outside, 24/7 365, as i do not have access to a garage. Do people think this is ok or does it really need to be garaged? I have had 2 seaters before but they were hard tops so a fabric roofed convertible is new to me.

How do people find the road noise with the roof up at 70? Ive a number of reviews that mention the soundproofing has come on a great deal in recent years so was interested in people's experiences. This wont be my main use scenario but is of interest to me.

Thanks for your help

Special Kay

Daily Driver

Post by Special Kay » Mon May 08, 2023 7:21 pm

Hey David, welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I can't contribute to your concerns, as I don't drive a z4 convertible. I do use a rather older bmw convertible as a daily, and often travel at 70 with the roof open (weather permitting) and closed when the weather is typically British. I find both experiences equally pleasurable with no issues. As for keeping the parking outside with any desirable car it will always be a cause for concern.
Hopefully, some of the other members will be along soon to offer a greater insight into their experiences and your concerns. Good luck :thumbsup:

rdm05z4

Daily Driver

Post by rdm05z4 » Mon May 08, 2023 7:35 pm

For outside parking if you keep the soft top clean and with a good protectant on it should be ok. (Clean off bird, tree sap etc droppings soon as possible0. Might also invest in a cover just for the fabric top to help. As for the car body common sense is try to keep clean and a good wax application few times a year should help. Good luck.
2005 3.0i Manual, Sterling Gray Metallic Sport suspension, heated seats, top line Business Cd radio
2007 Nissan Maxima -Silver-Auto
2009 VW Wolfsburg Jetta-Black-6sp manual

Ledg

Daily Driver

Post by Ledg » Mon May 08, 2023 7:37 pm

me and my wife have had our 2020 z4 for about 2 and a half years, its been my wife's daily driver and my weekend toy. its lived outside in all weathers since we have had it with no problems at all. As for the road noise, we really can't tell its a soft top when the roof is up and you're going 70+ mph. On a resent trip in Germany we was cruising around 120mph and still not a problem. id say go for it, ours is only the 30i, but it suits us just fine specially as it is my wife's only car, if it was a second car then maybe we would have looked at the 40i. edit**** I do wash ours regularly and wouldn't leave bird s**t etc on the roof to long before ive washed it off

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Daily Driver

Post by Nanu » Mon May 08, 2023 7:43 pm

I suspect many on here will park there soft top cars outdoors and will be able to assure you that it is OK as long as you keep it clean and protect it with some product of which there are many recommendations on here also. (I use Gtechiq)

As for outside road noise with the roof up above 70mph, sorry cannot help as never go above speed limits :wink:
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Z4monster

Daily Driver

Post by Z4monster » Mon May 08, 2023 10:00 pm

Mine is outside 24/7 and is my daily driver. Just keep the roof clean with a regular wash and should be no issues. My previous G29 had the moonlight roof which was lighter grey. Over two years in lockdown, when it wasn't moving as much, the roof did take on a slight green tinge due to green mould. I was able to clean this off (mostly) bt it did leave a little bit of a discolour to it. Lesson learned as I hadn't put any protector on it when new.

PSQ777

Daily Driver

Post by PSQ777 » Mon May 08, 2023 10:02 pm

Mine lives outside all year round, I've only had it for a few months so can't tell you about longevity but so far all seems fine. I do have a paint treatment and roof treatment on it which I hope will help in the long term. As others have mentioned make sure anything that can cause discoloration or damage is cleared from the soft top ASAP.

As for soundproofing at speed, it's fine. I can easily chat with passengers in the same way I would in my previous (non-convertible) 3-series.

davidmaz

Daily Driver

Post by davidmaz » Mon May 08, 2023 11:26 pm

Thank you all for your prompt and helpful replies. The decision is made. A Z4 it is👍

PSQ777

Daily Driver

Post by PSQ777 » Tue May 09, 2023 12:22 am

davidmaz wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:26 pm Thank you all for your prompt and helpful replies. The decision is made. A Z4 it is👍
Great choice ! I'm not sure which version you are looking for but I'm confident you'll see it as an event every time you drive it. I adore mine. Even the school run is fun !

KrusteKlubba

Daily Driver

Post by KrusteKlubba » Fri May 12, 2023 8:29 pm

IHMO as others have said it will be fine but make sure you keep the soft top and paintwork protected and clean off nasties asap if you notice them. I use some quick detailer and microfibre cloth to deal with bird do do on the paintwork. If you haven’t got the facility to have the car on a drive to wash and protect, try a mobile detailer or a site where you can get it done. Various wax and ceramic options out there.