Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E- bicycles

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

E- bicycles

Post by Chris_D » Mon May 08, 2023 9:26 pm

inkey$ wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:57 pm For those that have them, what e-bikes do you have? Always intrigued me, as an ex-MTB whose knees now couldn't really handle a Welsh fire road in 2023
I've been to the Ardennes on quite a few occasions with my road bike and absolutely love it down there. The thing I don't love so much are the climbs and there are lots of them of course. If you do the Amstel route there are also cobbles which can destroy a bike if it's not set up properly. So I'm currently researching the sh!t out of gravel e-bikes which means I can get a boost on the climbs and leave the power alone for the rest of the time without worrying about riding a big heavy bruiser of an e-bike.
I also go to the Veluwe a lot and currently use an MTB for the gravel trails but I'd prefer a gravel bike tbh so it would prove its' worth around there too perhaps.

At the moment I'm finding there are pros and cons, especially when it comes to the limited range of drive systems and batteries and groupsets. Price is also a big factor and you're not doubling the price of a decent non-electric gravel bike. You're quadrupling! So it's a major investment just to get a slightly more enjoyable riding experience.

If I can wangle the purchase tax back claiming I can use it for my (Dutch) business (delivering stuff to clients etc) then I'll plump for one these beauties:

3T Exploro RACEMAX BOOST
exploro-racemax-boost-force-d1-axs-1x12-700c.jpg
exploro-racemax-boost-force-d1-axs-1x12-700c.jpg (94.25 KiB) Viewed 283 times
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

E- bicycles

Post by inkey$ » Mon May 08, 2023 9:31 pm

Chris_D wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:26 pm
inkey$ wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:57 pm For those that have them, what e-bikes do you have? Always intrigued me, as an ex-MTB whose knees now couldn't really handle a Welsh fire road in 2023
I've been to the Ardennes on quite a few occasions with my road bike and absolutely love it down there. The thing I don't love so much are the climbs and there are lots of them of course. If you do the Amstel route there are also cobbles which can destroy a bike if it's not set up properly. So I'm currently researching the sh!t out of gravel e-bikes which means I can get a boost on the climbs and leave the power alone for the rest of the time without worrying about riding a big heavy bruiser of an e-bike.
I also go to the Veluwe a lot and currently use an MTB for the gravel trails but I'd prefer a gravel bike tbh so it would prove its' worth around there too perhaps.

At the moment I'm finding there are pros and cons, especially when it comes to the limited range of drive systems and batteries and groupsets. Price is also a big factor and you're not doubling the price of a decent non-electric gravel bike. You're quadrupling! So it's a major investment just to get a slightly more enjoyable riding experience.

If I can wangle the purchase tax back claiming I can use it for my (Dutch) business (delivering stuff to clients etc) then I'll plump for one these beauties:

Exploro RACEMAX BOOST
Interesting Chris_D. I looked at standard gravel bikes a year or so ago (currently riding a hardtail MTB), but it coincided with the rise of ‘better’ e-bikes and my search kind of stopped. Think my heads where yours is at with e-price vs riding experience %, compared to a similar priced gravel bike. Maybe I need to revisit the unlimited cyclescheme next time the window opens too. Could be my opportunity.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

E- bicycles

Post by Chris_D » Mon May 08, 2023 9:41 pm

inkey$ wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:31 pm
Chris_D wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:26 pm

Exploro RACEMAX BOOST
Interesting Chris_D. I looked at standard gravel bikes a year or so ago (currently riding a hardtail MTB), but it coincided with the rise of ‘better’ e-bikes and my search kind of stopped. Think my heads where yours is at with e-price vs riding experience %, compared to a similar priced gravel bike. Maybe I need to revisit the unlimited cyclescheme next time the window opens too. Could be my opportunity.
Yeah, def take advantage of any rebate/subsidy when it's available.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

brillomaster

E- bicycles

Post by brillomaster » Tue May 09, 2023 8:52 am

well, my e-bike is a haibike xduro allmtn. actually very old tech now, 400Wh external battery, and early gen bosch motor. good for a range of about 30 miles or so, which is plenty!

nowadays mountain bikes have 600 or 700Wh batteries integrated into the frame, with better motors. they're also getting a bit lighter too.

Vornwend

E- bicycles

Post by Vornwend » Tue May 09, 2023 10:38 am

Not tried an electric bike yet but would certainly consider one if it enabled me to keep enjoying cycling. I ride around 3 to 4,000 miles a year now and I love it. Plenty of hills around here which I didn't enjoy much when I first started cycling, even chose routes to avoid them. Now after 10 years I actually rather enjoy them :o

Like most forms of exercise cycling has more benefits than costs, mentally and physically. Once you get over the initial challenges of building a base level of fitness (and condition your bum! :roll: ) its quite addictive. When I was still working I remember my wife being surprised that I would often go out for a ride after a long and tiring day at work - the reason, I'm sure, was those feel good endorphins that you get from exercise :)

I would say that 40 mph is not for the faint hearted - especially given the state of the roads around here!
Now: 2004 Z4 3.0i - Merlot Red
Before: VW Corrado VR6 Storm - Classic Green

idej_z4

E- bicycles

Post by idej_z4 » Tue May 09, 2023 11:21 am

I have an Whyte e-150RS mtb and was a little sceptical until I tried one. I thought ebikes were for the unfit etc etc. Turns out you can work just as hard but you get mote of the fun stuff! Llandegla is my local trail centre and I can do two laps of the black route in the time it took me to do one on my anolouge bike.

The only issue I've found is cost. Not just to buy the bike but also due to the weight and tension the bike is put under you go through perishables at a rapid rate!!

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

E- bicycles

Post by Nanu » Tue May 09, 2023 8:15 pm

Just don't get this "working hard" stuff and actually paying for it.

Done all the gym, martial arts, squash, 5 a side football and all I have ended up with are two very dodgy knees that will need replacing soon. :x

Stick with the Zed and protect your body by avoiding exercise :D
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

idej_z4

E- bicycles

Post by idej_z4 » Wed May 10, 2023 4:04 pm

Nanu wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:15 pm Just don't get this "working hard" stuff and actually paying for it.

Done all the gym, martial arts, squash, 5 a side football and all I have ended up with are two very dodgy knees that will need replacing soon. :x

You should have taken up cycling...its low impact, especially on an eBike, although your hamstrings do take a battering (and shrink). Getting in an out of the Zed is exercise enough some might say. :o

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

E- bicycles

Post by Nanu » Wed May 10, 2023 7:41 pm

idej_z4 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:04 pm
Nanu wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:15 pm Just don't get this "working hard" stuff and actually paying for it.

You should have taken up cycling...its low impact, especially on an eBike, although your hamstrings do take a battering (and shrink). Getting in an out of the Zed is exercise enough some might say. :o
Don't forget turning the steering wheel and setting the handbrake. Energy sapping, so just as well very much everything else can be voice controlled or driving would be so tiring :wink:
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White