Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Guide: Replacing 3rd taillight and/or cover - E89

How-To articles are in here.
Christopher72

Guide: Replacing 3rd taillight and/or cover - E89

Post by Christopher72 » Sun May 07, 2023 8:53 pm

Here's my first edition to the How-to: Replace 3rd taillight and/or cover for and E89 35i

If your 3rd stop lamp is not working or cracked, or you have another issue with it that requires replacement, first your need a part. RealOEM has this: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=41_1894

For cars without the satellite antennae bump the part number is 51137252843. For those with (like mine) it's 51137252844. If you buy it from a dealer new it will come primed for painting. I purchased mine from an Ebay part-out that already matched my DeepSeaBlue for $100. I needed the cover, since that is the part which was broken for me. You may find the used LED lamp itself on ebay, but it's not sold as a separate part new.

This is what my broken part looks like. The previous owner obviously closed with something sticking out that cracked the plastic on the cover and also damaged the opposing seal (for another how-to)

First step is to open a beer. :cheers: preferably a respectable local microbrew and not German water lager...
This is a critical step and leads to satisfaction in the process and results.

Tools needed:
Pliers (any kind), hook pick, trim wedge, trim clip remover, and 8mm socket. I also used two new sealed trim clips (51137065607) to prevent any trunk lid leaks

First remove the glow-in-the-dark emergency release handle (may be USA version only). It's simple enough.

Use the fastener remover to pop out the two-piece fasteners of the cover. There's a lot of them. The cover will be loose enough to remove.

You will see the two 8mm nuts, remove them -- they are less than 2nm torqued so they will almost unthread without a tool.

I didn't get a picture of this, so here's something. Once the nuts are removed, insert the trim wedge a little to add some pressure to the trim fasteners.. (dont pry). This is to make it easier to release them from the other side.

Open it back up with the wedge in place...and remove the wiring connector. Use the pliers to compress the clips. With the wedge pressure they will pop release with a very satisfying sound. Take a sip of that beer - hard part is done.

Wow...clean up that mess. There's the satellite antenna in the middle that requires the bump. You may not have that on yours. You can push that connector wire back through, though. It's easier to connect after the lamp is attached.

If you are just replacing the lamp, then use a prying tool to release the clips upward. Install the new lamp, and refasten with the existing clips. No real risk of them breaking in the process.
At this time you could also replace the sealing trim clips. I also put new foam washers on the two screw posts - stolen from two new trim fasteners - No leaks!

Take another sip of that tasty microbrew :cheers: and we are ready to reinstall everything.
Place the unit into the holes. The seal clips wont easily seat with pressure, so don't bust up your new cover with your primate instincts. I used a hook pick to pull on the clip while pressing on the lamp unit to get them to seat. It worked well.

I put some blue gel threadlock on the two posts before adding the 8mm nuts. I didn't use a torque wrench, just gently hand tightening 'enough'. The thread lock and the sealed clips will do the work.

Important! Reconnect the taillight wire that you removed previously. Test that taillight with your appropriate local minion. :thumbsup:

Once tested, button it back up with the trim cover and all push fasteners. Don't forget to thread the wire for the the glow-in-the-dark emergency pull handle.

You're done -- and it wasn't too hard. Finish that beer and open another one. :cheers: Make sure you coat that new cover with wax, ceramic or moose-spit (whatever you use) so that it matches in shine and water shedding.

I know this wasn't a complicated how-to -- which is why I put it up. This is easy DIY and anyone can do this, especially now that you see it in pictures.
Last edited by Christopher72 on Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Christopher
2011 E89 Sdrive35i - Deep Sea Blue, Beige Kansas Leather
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

RobbiZ4

Replace 3rd taillight and/or cover

Post by RobbiZ4 » Tue May 09, 2023 12:17 pm

Top!

Thank you very much for these details, as I didn't find any similiar even on the German ZRoaster.com forum.
It may be also a starter to just get this area cleaned after a decade of collecting mud below it.
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Christopher72

Replace 3rd taillight and/or cover

Post by Christopher72 » Wed May 10, 2023 2:27 am

Thanks -- I also didn't find it elsewhere, I must pay it forward to add when I can to the hard-earned knowledge shared in this solid community. I know how much I value everyone else's effort to share. :drinking:

Additionally, for anyone considering a respray of the boot lid, this removal is pretty simple to execute.
Christopher
2011 E89 Sdrive35i - Deep Sea Blue, Beige Kansas Leather
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone