Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Mini F56 JCW or Z4C si

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
M1k3yC

Mini F56 JCW or Z4C si

Post by M1k3yC » Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:29 pm

soz4c, don't dismiss a nicely optioned Cooper S, by the way. My mum has a Cooper S on 17" wheels and every time I drive it I always think that it's a much easier car to live with than my JCW. You miss the extra power and beefier brakes of the JCW, but the Cooper S is a much more comfortable drive and still quick and entertaining in sport mode. I was also considering a Challenge 210 or a Works 210 when I got mine but never actually drove one - I wish that I had, they could well be the sweet spot.
2022 Hyundai Kona N - greyhound transport
2018 F56 Mini JCW
2016 MX-5 2.0 Sport Recaro
Gone to a good home: 2007 E86 3.0Si Sport

soz4c

Mini F56 JCW or Z4C si

Post by soz4c » Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:09 am

There's a 1 owner MCS Works 210 with the JCW Performance (Bluetooth) exhaust for sale only 3 miles from me. Im going to have a look on Sun or Mon! šŸ‘
I then just have to get out in a Z4C again to try and cement my thoughts.. its been some time since I was in one!
I have a feeling the RWD would swing it but if it did then the challenge would be patience to find a low miles, FSH, rust free, top condition one at the age they are now.

BeeEmm

Mini F56 JCW or Z4C si

Post by BeeEmm » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:19 am

jock156 wrote: ā†‘Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:23 pm Got this for the wife recently, so far, itā€™s been a class act, family of 5 too.
Nice Driveway. :o
Attachments
Nice Driveway.png
Nice Driveway.png (2.06 MiB) Viewed 773 times
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

jock156

Mini F56 JCW or Z4C si

Post by jock156 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:22 pm

Thereā€™s 2 other cars to the left on the drive :rofl:

jock156

Mini F56 JCW or Z4C si

Post by jock156 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:09 pm

874BEC7D-DEC4-4F28-AB4D-116C322D356D.png
874BEC7D-DEC4-4F28-AB4D-116C322D356D.png (1.73 MiB) Viewed 735 times

jenniferlouise

Mini F56 JCW or Z4C si

Post by jenniferlouise » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:14 pm

As has been written, itā€™s a very nice problem to haveā€¦ the VW in a great car; very pretty. I had the CC GT that preceded it and enjoyed that. JL has had 3 Mini including a Cooper S, a Clubman S and a JCW 300hp. My view is the Cooper S was the best drive, clubman was surprisingly practical whilst still fun and the Countryman JCW was terrific, esp 4x4 grip, but it was a bit uninvolved to drive. (just my view).

Love our Z4 (2010 23i) but, as youā€™ll have read, they have their limits too. Be clear what it is youā€™re looking for in a second car: my Z4 did less than 1000 miles last year, as Iā€™d rather buzz around in an old RAV4 (since died).

The Mini is a quality car. Iā€™d go for an R53 early supercharged Cooper Sā€¦ going up in money too. Lovely supercharger whine. If you want roof-down enjoyment the Z4 is great (and without alienating mk1 owners, the mk2 e89 has the benefit of a steel roof, especially if you have to leave it outside. If you get a cover for it, then part of the rag-top problem goes away. Which makes the MX-5 a serious option too, not owned one but there are lots of them and their owners love them. So many options tooā€¦.

I nearly bought an R53, but didnā€™t. Kept the Z4. We both really enjoy the Z4 when it comes out into the sunshine (and itā€™s fine if it does rain, although youā€™ll need a lay-by to get the roof up.

Youā€™ve not posted a budget, so I guess thatā€™s not too importantā€¦ if itā€™s just for you, then Iā€™d suggest having something that is as far away from your daily driver as you can get. A Mini is a great option (and Iā€™d happily take a free one if thatā€™s still an option) but two seat impracticable motoring is perfect. BMW build quality and reliability plus a pretty shape and a friendly forum makes the Z4 a good choice.

Iā€™ve recently looked at so many alternatives but Iā€™d reckoned in having to spend ALOT more money to get the same satisfaction. Although there is always the case for an aging Alfa šŸ˜‰

Come meet some of us at Ultimate BMW on 30th. Let us know how your shopping goes. A

soz4c

Mini F56 JCW or Z4C si

Post by soz4c » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:48 pm

@jenniferlouise, great write up and some really good points thank you.
I want to buzz around locally to shops, ferrying my 10yo car mad son to activities, some weekend runs (maybe occasional business trip) in something smaller that handles well, agile, funky , but above all makes me smile and maybe feel a bit different/special, all on a reasonable budget (doesn't everyone šŸ˜). Everything else I can use the VW DD for, which is great by the way šŸ‘. Hence the Z4C as being top of the list!
My ideal car would be a Lotus Evora but can't justify (really afford) pushing the budget that high and I'd probably be a bit cautious of using it as a runaround. Then considered a Jag F-type and it was lovely but maybe a bit heavy, cruiser/GT, also if raising the budget that high then may as well hold out for an Evora.
So, came back to where I 1st started, Z4C but the mini f56 sort of flew in as an unexpected leftfield option after a chance drive.
Budget at mo is prob 12 - 16, but all depends on the specific car.
Thanks again for the input so far

jenniferlouise

Mini F56 JCW or Z4C si

Post by jenniferlouise » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:54 am

Abarth 595C? Great fun little car, 4 seats (just), 1.4 turbo, close to 200hp. Itā€™s an acquired driving position with little adjustment, but they look great. Lots of choice and plenty of permutations and specials. Tremendous forum group too. We have had 3!! Took one to France with two children and all the luggageā€¦ it got photographed everywhere we went: would I change our Z4 and go back to one? No. But Iā€™d have it as well as if I could afford it.

Hang on, I recall you saying 6ā€™3ā€?? Maybe notā€¦ head height should be ok but I think youā€™ll struggle with its overall dimensionsā€¦

I can see you in a Z4 šŸ˜Ž

soz4c

Mini F56 JCW or Z4C si

Post by soz4c » Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:20 pm

Thanks again for your input, all šŸ‘. Going to try and get to Ultimate BMW Sun if possible, I'll look out for the Z4 contingent if I do šŸ˜‰.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Mini F56 JCW or Z4C si

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:07 pm

Just a thought but you could get a 130i for about half that budget.

Same N52 engine as a Z4C and RWD, but with the hatchback practicality of an F56.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

soz4c

Mini F56 JCW or Z4C si

Post by soz4c » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:03 pm

It's not a bad shout at all Mr Tidy, been a passenger in one quite a while and it ticks the handling, power, rwd boxes, sensible budget. I had thought about a number of options like it inc the 125i Coupe but.. it just wouldn't feel special enough for my needs. I guess it's the low slung coupe thing or 2 seater sportscar thing that helps this for me.
Yes I realise that I confused this with the original post about mini JCW vs Z4c. Having thought about it more since posting. It needs to be attractive to look at, 2 seater (or 2+2), low, connected type driving experience. The sort of experience more common in an older car but I've done the classic thing and since I now travel more with my young son, know I just won't use a classic sportscar enough.
So.. Coupe/sports, modern classic or modern, attractive, fun to drive (not out and out speed but a good steer), reliable, quirky, all on a modest budget :rofl: !
Done gt86 bit meh, 350z heavy and leaden footed, 911 was too competent (on the road) so not fun, mx5 good but tad small for 6' 3'.
Z4C it is then probably :D Like the looks, great engine, rarity, rwd, known dynamic flaws add character, bit practical, 2 seats, noise is ok...
Proper practical is covered by the family wagon which is quick, big, comfy, grippy 4wd.
As pointed out, it's not a bad problem to have, deciding what I want to drive for fun (within reason or it would an Evora without doubt).

soz4c

Mini F56 JCW or Z4C si

Post by soz4c » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:20 pm

Sorry, forgot to add in my ramble. Took a long test in a F56 MCS Works on Tuesday.. Great fun, sounded OK would be happy to own one but you guys are right, RWD is prob the differentiator from a driving perspective. I've done so many FWD, AWD rapid family or performance hatches and it was a bit samey just nimbler.

M1k3yC

Mini F56 JCW or Z4C si

Post by M1k3yC » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:23 am

soz4c wrote: ā†‘Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:48 pm My ideal car would be a Lotus Evora
Have you ever sat in one? I got in an early one a good few years ago when I was considering moving out of my E86 (which I've since done) and the Evora was a let down in terms of build quality and how the cabin felt. It put me off enough to not even bother driving it - I know that they do have a great reputation as a driver's car. I'm told that the later ones are better in terms of the interior, though.
2022 Hyundai Kona N - greyhound transport
2018 F56 Mini JCW
2016 MX-5 2.0 Sport Recaro
Gone to a good home: 2007 E86 3.0Si Sport

soz4c

Mini F56 JCW or Z4C si

Post by soz4c » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:23 am

M1k3yC wrote: ā†‘Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:23 am
soz4c wrote: ā†‘Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:48 pm My ideal car would be a Lotus Evora
Have you ever sat in one? I got in an early one a good few years ago when I was considering moving out of my E86 (which I've since done) and the Evora was a let down in terms of build quality and how the cabin felt. It put me off enough to not even bother driving it - I know that they do have a great reputation as a driver's car. I'm told that the later ones are better in terms of the interior, though.
Yep driven an early one quite extensively, interior quality woeful compared to volume producers (airbag panels warp/pop up at corners, door trim often rattles, bolsters wear badly, oh and the headlining can sag/come loose).
But, the ride and handling are magical! The later 400 is better from a build quality perspective but feels more aggressive and focused, better car but loses a bit of its on road charm... and the budget goes through the roof.
I will be quite happy with a Z4C instead šŸ˜Š!