Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof issues - Pro Tool diagnosing

sym

Post by sym » Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:46 am

Hey all

I've had issues with my roof and boot lately.
Sometimes I would randomly get chime about boot being open and roof operation randomly stops working.
Recently the roof did not want to go down at all: when back lid is closing and the roof is folded in top position, back lid would close as it should, but operation would not continue from there. I can still hear the hydraulics and roof stays folded on top (the back piece is not lowering).

So I figured that there must be something wrong with sensors that detect the back lid's position.

I have been using ProTool for a lot of stuff on other BMWs as well and to my positive surprise it also had logging available for convertible top module.

Looking at the log I can see that the status of left side is going randomly all over (see attached image).
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (86.35 KiB) Viewed 599 times
Now the question is which part number should I replace and how?

For those interested in what convertible top parameters ProTool is able to log, you can view my log of closing the top here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Ps. Pro tip: ProTool is also able to open the boot even when its not supposed to open (roof operation is not complete).

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:12 am

sym wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:46 am Hey all

I've had issues with my roof and boot lately.
Sometimes I would randomly get chime about boot being open and roof operation randomly stops working.
Recently the roof did not want to go down at all: when back lid is closing and the roof is folded in top position, back lid would close as it should, but operation would not continue from there. I can still hear the hydraulics and roof stays folded on top (the back piece is not lowering).

So I figured that there must be something wrong with sensors that detect the back lid's position.

I have been using ProTool for a lot of stuff on other BMWs as well and to my positive surprise it also had logging available for convertible top module.

Looking at the log I can see that the status of left side is going randomly all over (see attached image).
Capture.JPG

Now the question is which part number should I replace and how?

For those interested in what convertible top parameters ProTool is able to log, you can view my log of closing the top here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Ps. Pro tip: ProTool is also able to open the boot even when its not supposed to open (roof operation is not complete).
It’s usually the two micro switches on the rams either side in the boot…

I found winter / damp caused similar issues with mine….they are supposed to be sealed but I still found those issues..I have a fresh pair of switches to go…

Good that Protool does such a good job..I’m a Protool fan :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

javis20

Post by javis20 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:21 pm

Are you referring to the boot closed micro switches?

Christopher72

Post by Christopher72 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:35 am

sym wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:46 am Now the question is which part number should I replace and how?
I just opened a similar thread. I haven't done the real-time logging on the top like you have, just pulled the error code.
@B21 is referring to parts 54377228585 & 54377228586, which have been recommended as a default replacement for top issues.
Christopher
2011 E89 Sdrive35i - Deep Sea Blue, Beige Kansas Leather
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

javis20

Post by javis20 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:49 pm

Here is a DIY I did for replacing the boot closed microswitches.

https://youtu.be/qcwZC1uah_o

blazej

Post by blazej » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:38 am

javis20, I hope I don’t have to do this before I sell on, but if I do, I’ll follow your video which is a great tutorial. Should be posted in the how-to section if it isn’t already there 👍
Sapphire Black E89 sDrive30i M Sport auto

javis20

Post by javis20 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:40 am

It's a very easy job.

Christopher72

Post by Christopher72 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:36 am

javis20 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:40 am It's a very easy job.
Easy, but not quick (or I'm slow). Most important to have spare trim fasteners... many have never been removed for a decade and won't survive the removal, even with the correct tool.

Important things I did:
Scribe the nuts with a white paint pen -- will save lots of time.
Use a 2mm hex driver to remove the M3 screws -- not an "L" wrench - better torque - and magnetize it!
replace the connector on the new parts, splice, solder, and heat shrink.
Christopher
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

javis20

Post by javis20 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:57 am

Just to clarify, I did mention at 1:10 to use a marking pen or other method to mark locations of nuts. And at 2:52 in the video I did mention it would be easier to cut off and splice the plugs, if car is earlier than 2014.

Christopher72

Post by Christopher72 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:36 am

javis20 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:57 am Just to clarify, I did mention at 1:10 to use a marking pen or other method to mark locations of nuts. And at 2:52 in the video I did mention it would be easier to cut off and splice the plugs, if car is earlier than 2014.
You did! and it was important... just reinforcing... Next time I'll remember to reference the video to give props. I would not have executed half as quickly/well without the video you made.
Christopher