Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dunlop Vs Goodyear

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
golfgeezer

Dunlop Vs Goodyear

Post by golfgeezer » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:08 am

Familiar story of ditching the horrible run flats from my recently acquired E85 which still has the Bridgestones on the front that are now 11 years old and have done 26k miles :o

So looking at options I can get a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 for £493 fitted or Dunlop SP Sport Maxx RT2 for £466. Wheels are OEM 18” MV2 staggered fitment.

Anyone had any particularly positive or negative experiences of either brand?
BMW E85 3.0si - Montego blue, champagne nappa
BMW E86 3.0si - Titanium Silver. ZHP, graphite MV4’s - Gone
BMW E89 2.0i sDrive manual in VO. M sport LCI - Gone

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Dunlop Vs Goodyear

Post by inkey$ » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:43 am

Can't comment on the Dunlops, but the Eagle F1's are familiar to me as I've had them on pretty much every Zed I owned. Have the A6's on mine now and IMO they offer great wet and dry grip, with low to medium road noise depending on surface.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

brillomaster

Dunlop Vs Goodyear

Post by brillomaster » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:48 am

well, my GY assy5s have so far lasted for aaaaages, and grip great, so... for the small price difference i'd go goodyear.

Also arent the goodyear assy 6s practically a brand new design, whereas dunlop sport maxxs have been around for a few years now?

This might help you decide - the GY wins the test, the dunlop comes a very respectable 5th...
https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/202 ... e-Test.htm

Calps

Dunlop Vs Goodyear

Post by Calps » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:01 am

I've not used the Goodyears, so I cannot compare both, however I switched from RFTs to the Dunlops ~2 years ago, and after ~5000 miles I am happy with them.

How much of that happiness is from moving away from RFTs, and how much is down to the characteristics of the new tyres is unknown though.

I have them on 19s, so I assume there is more noise than there would be on equivalent 18s, but it's not bad either way. Overall they perform well IMO. It's damp here more often than it's dry, and they provide a decent level of grip/confidence.
MelZ: Black Sapphire Z4C

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Dunlop Vs Goodyear

Post by B21 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:25 am

I’ve not used Assy 6 on my E89s but the Assy 5 were great..I’ve used the Dunlops on the F56 Mini and they were good..

The Assy 6 seems like a slightly better version of the 5 so on all of that I think it’s a no brainier… :thumbsup:

As was said the Dunlop is an old design of tyre ..the Assy 6 is brand new..every dog has its day… :tumbleweed:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Dunlop Vs Goodyear

Post by mr.tourette » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:52 am

I've run both of these, in terms of outright feel the Goodyears just edge it.. but the Dunlops are the better all round tyre.. great grip wet and dry and a much more comfortable ride quality, they soak up the bumps and uneven surfaces much better and are much quieter than the Goodyears which in my opinion are the noisiest tyres Ive ever used, they transmit a lot of noise into the cabin and personally Id never buy them again.. Id be happy to run the Dunlops on any car, a great tyre

Edit. in fairness it was the Assy 5 i used not 6 so there may be some improvement.. that said Id still choose the Dunlops as the Assy 5 put me off the brand
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

golfgeezer

Dunlop Vs Goodyear

Post by golfgeezer » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:23 pm

Thanks for the replies. Not much to chose between them for positive reviews. Both options seem to rate highly. I’ll probably go with the Assy 6’s purely because it’s a new design and only £27 more for the set compared to the Dunlop’s. If it was £127 then it would be a different result :)

golfgeezer

Dunlop Vs Goodyear

Post by golfgeezer » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:26 am

Ordered the Goodyear’s and booked in for fitting on Wednesday :thumbsup: In the meantime what tyre pressures are people running for standard staggered fitment 18” wheels and non run flat tyres?

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Dunlop Vs Goodyear

Post by MikeyH » Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:12 am

golfgeezer wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:26 am Ordered the Goodyear’s and booked in for fitting on Wednesday :thumbsup: In the meantime what tyre pressures are people running for standard staggered fitment 18” wheels and non run flat tyres?
I’m running 31psi at the front and 33psi at the back, seems about right. :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

brillomaster

Dunlop Vs Goodyear

Post by brillomaster » Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:21 pm

Ooh i was a bit higher, i was 33f, 36r. But somewhere in that ballpark. Goodyears have slightly softer sidewalls than other tyres, so i like a psi or two higher.

jenniferlouise

Dunlop Vs Goodyear

Post by jenniferlouise » Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:10 am

We are going Continental Sport Contact 7 next week. Seems to be the tyre of choice on here if budget is not the primary ruler. Spent too long putting up with the harsh ride on RFTs… ‘sporty’ is only an adjective you can use for a while. I’m hoping it’s a noticeable difference or I’ve just wasted the price of a bl@@dy good weekend away!!

Now, I was going to advertise the removed Bridgestone RFTs on the ‘sale’ pages here for FREE as they have lots of life in them (buyer collects) but can’t bear the ribbing I’d get from across the forum! Mates have said ‘sell them on eBay to recover some of the cost’… there’s loads of them on there!! Probably none selling. Everyone had the same idea. So, I shan’t bother. If anyone wants them let me know. I may keep a 255 to go on the spare rim I have for that ‘just in case’ emergency…

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Dunlop Vs Goodyear

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:40 am

jenniferlouise wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:10 am We are going Continental Sport Contact 7 next week. Seems to be the tyre of choice on here if budget is not the primary ruler. Spent too long putting up with the harsh ride on RFTs… ‘sporty’ is only an adjective you can use for a while. I’m hoping it’s a noticeable difference or I’ve just wasted the price of a bl@@dy good weekend away!!

Now, I was going to advertise the removed Bridgestone RFTs on the ‘sale’ pages here for FREE as they have lots of life in them (buyer collects) but can’t bear the ribbing I’d get from across the forum! Mates have said ‘sell them on eBay to recover some of the cost’… there’s loads of them on there!! Probably none selling. Everyone had the same idea. So, I shan’t bother. If anyone wants them let me know. I may keep a 255 to go on the spare rim I have for that ‘just in case’ emergency…
Stick em on ebay..I got decent money for mine, there's always someone looking for cheap bmw sized tyres locally
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

jenniferlouise

Dunlop Vs Goodyear

Post by jenniferlouise » Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:33 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:40 am
jenniferlouise wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:10 am
Stick em on ebay..I got decent money for mine, there's always someone looking for cheap bmw sized tyres locally
Oh, really? Thanks, I guess no harm in trying (and if I talk nicely to Tyre Pros they will take them back for recycling if they don’t go)
Apologies for detracting from the original post 😞

DMike

Dunlop Vs Goodyear

Post by DMike » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:33 am

I’ve had Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT, staggered 20-inch 245/35 and 275/30. They are heavy, but otherwise they’re great tyres with good grip on both wet and dry. Changed to SC7s, which I cannot comment on yet.
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

lakincoe

Dunlop Vs Goodyear

Post by lakincoe » Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:00 am

The Dunlop’s SP Sport Maxx RT2 and Goodyear’s Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 tires have been optimized for superior dry performance. While both brands exhibit comparable performance, Goodyear earns the edge due to its minimized noise emission and excellent rolling resistance.