Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

B58 engine oil filter issue

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:30 pm

Don't know if those with the M40i B58 engined cars are aware, but apparently there is a 'common issue' with oil filters breaking in their housings when being removed during servicing.
I thought it may be useful to be aware.

I read on another BMW forum a story of a guy who had this happen on an M140i and the BMW dealership are refusing to fix the damage without him paying £1200 for the privilege. BMW UK are not being very sympathetic either, even though they are aware of the problem and have issued dealers with guidelines of how to prevent it happening (I think it's basically 'be more careful').

NB I don't know if all B58 engined cars are potentially affected, but would think they all have the same hardware.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

BigDave

Post by BigDave » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:25 pm

Interesting.... But surely if it happens at the dealers its there problem.....

q96169we

Post by q96169we » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:43 am

Read a lot around this when I ordered my G29. I always change the oil and filter myself halfway between two CBS services, and I don't want the filter to break while I change it. It seems majority of people, who reported this kind of issue, had the B58 whereas our m40i has B58TU1. Haven't read anyone with the B58TU1 report this issue. So, maybe BMW has optimise the filter design (e.g bigger hole on the two end of filter). On the other hand, I searched the part number of the oil filter and oil filter housing for both B58 and B58TU1, and they seem to be the same part number.

I have also talked to some 540i owners with the B58 engine. None of them experienced this so far. One thing we all do in common though is that we all change oil and filter between two CBS services. I sometime drive my car on track so I change oil even more often and haven't had any issue so far. Potentially, it's the 2year/~20k mile service interval is too long for the filter.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:49 am

BigDave wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:25 pm Interesting.... But surely if it happens at the dealers its there problem.....
You would think so. The dealer in question has apparently said "it broke" rather than "we broke it".
Not sure of the outcome for the poor bloke, but, as you can imagine there was uproar on the forum.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:14 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:49 am
BigDave wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:25 pm Interesting.... But surely if it happens at the dealers its there problem.....
You would think so. The dealer in question has apparently said "it broke" rather than "we broke it".
Not sure of the outcome for the poor bloke, but, as you can imagine there was uproar on the forum.
Not a filter but a seized bleed nipple in the rear calliper in the 335 - It has been one main dealer maintained from new and now its seized - I suspect because one of their monkeys has been swinging on the spanner!
Its an M Sport calliper as well so will cost a few quid to replace!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: