Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Ceramic GWash

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
DMike

Ceramic GWash

Post by DMike » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:32 pm

Thought to share my experience with Gtechniq’s new ceramic version of their GWash shampoo. The zed is still hibernating but gave my daily, a mediterainean blue, a proper wash today. Like my zed, it has CSL and EXO V4 — about nine months since I applied it and unlike the zed, my daily takes all the beating from grimy road salts used on scandinavian roads. I’ve been happy with the CSL, but it tends to clogg from contaminants.

Washing outside, at a pleasant minus one temperature. Pre wash with BH autofoam, room temperature, using a garden sprayer, then rinse with pressure wash, cold water only. No W6 this time, did that a couple of weeks ago. Warm water, two bucket method. Instructions say only 20ml of the the ceramic GWash per 10 litres, following that. It’s a clear fluid, unlike the old GWash, but smells nice though. Water in the bucket feels slick, despite small amount of product and no foam. Washing using a MF mitt. Unlike the old GWash, the ceramic GW water seems to bead even while washing. Rinsing with pressure washer, nice hydrophobic behaviour of water running down the panels, better than old GWash for sure. But panels taking most grimey salt beating, lower parts of the doors, were not that impressive, almost sheeting. Bottle instructs to add a few drops directly on the mitt for added hydrophobicity, giving it a try. Lower parts of the doors only, start rinsing and… Holy moly! This is something different. The water is flying down along the paint. It’s so hydrophobic that water drops running down the panels almost stop when they enter these super-hydrophobic areas. Like they would be confused when they can’t find an escape and can’t jump either.

No idea of how long this prominent top up effect will last, but I’ll report back later on. First impression is very interesting, still.

Final disclaimer, I’m not affiliated with GTechniq nor anyone selling this stuff, paying for my detailing ocd from my own pocket :D .
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

davidprice

Ceramic GWash

Post by davidprice » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:56 pm

I’ve just ordered a bottle on the strength of this post.
Looking forward to trying it

DMike

Ceramic GWash

Post by DMike » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:30 am

Follow-up after one month, including non-contact wash twice (once W5 pre-wash and pressure wash, the second time W5 and garden hose rinse only). The weather has been nice and the washes are mostly just to flush dust or light soil away. The boosted hydrophobicity is definety still there, but not super-hydrophobic anymore — now turning into good beading and sheeting leaving very little left to dry after a garden hose rinse. Using no-contact drying (aka leaf blower). :lol:
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey