Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help! Oil filter housing/cooler fix not gone to plan…

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
j24

Post by j24 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:04 pm

So a day after proudly proclaiming I’d finished sorting the oil filter housing, oil cooler and other jobs, I took the car for a brief spin to check things over - but unfortunately didn’t go exactly to plan!

Had a couple of issues:

The engine was running a bit hot by the time I’d got back home. Discovered that the car had suddenly realised it needed quite a bit more coolant! I’d run the bleeding procedure a good three/four times before going out, so thought I was all good on this front, but I guess not.

Anyway it had only just gone beyond the usual 90 degrees position and no engine overheating warning light, so hoping I should be alright on that front.

The main pain is that I could see evidence of some sort of oil leak/buildup underneath the oil cooler/oil filter housing:

I’m pretty sure I had cleaned this before reinstalling, so thinking it must be new - which is a huge bummer.

Weirdly there was also a couple of flicks of oil that has somehow made its way to the air filter box too:

I have a horrible feeling I may have over torqued the oil cooler… the YouTube video instructions I was blindly following said 22nm, but having Googled around I’m seeing 16nm mentioned instead.

Is that what’s gone wrong?

And if so, can I simply loosen the bolts so that they’re 16nm? I’m REALLY hoping that’s the solution, rather than needing to start the whole job again!

Anyway thanks for any help.
2008 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - Montego Blue

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:48 am

It doesn't look like the sort of housing that will distort if over tightened and 22Nm isn't the end of the world. It's a shaped O-ring from memory and that won't be affected.

The only real reason for seepage (assuming the gasket is in properly in the first place) is a bit of crud caught in it when putting it back together. This seems unlikely as you seemed to be uber-precautous. Go and watch a mechanic for an hour; they wouldn't even wipe it with an oily rag!

I'd wait and see if it gets any worse, it's probably just slime that's pooled.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:52 am

As above, very much doubt that the small difference in torque will have affected it. Could just be residue that has now got hot and run down after you did the job.
The flicks on the airbox simply suggest a bit has dropped onto the belt while it's running.
Give it a good clean and see what comes back.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

j24

Post by j24 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:30 am

Cheers both!

Was kicking myself about going wrong somewhere last night, but you could be right…I did spent a lot of time trying to clean the front of the engine, so it feels possible that I’ve just disturbed some sludge somewhere and it’s ended up on the belt. Not sure how else it would end up on the underside of the oil filter housing and air box!

Regardless, I’m thinking it might make sense to loosen the bolts for the oil cooler a little, and make sure they’re torque to 16nm - better safe than sorry.

I’ll clean it up, keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:34 am

j24 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:30 am Regardless, I’m thinking it might make sense to loosen the bolts for the oil cooler a little, and make sure they’re torque to 16nm - better safe than sorry.
Have you had your torque wrench properly calibrated lately?
If not, then I wouldn't worry too much as they can be up to 25% out.
Leave it as is.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:36 am

j24 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:04 pm Googled around I’m seeing 16nm mentioned instead.
Yes 16nm is correct according to Newtis but as others have said not a biggie in the scheme of things and would leave as is . As above wipe down and see what happens . :thumbsup:

11- 42 Oil Filter and Pipes
Tightening Torques
Type Thread Tightening specification Torque
1AZ Oil filter cap to oil filter housing
N52 25 Nm

2AZ Oil filter housing to cylinder head
N52 M8x78 M8x48 M8x28 22 Nm

3AZ Oil/water heat exchanger to oil filter housing
N52 M8x20 16 Nm
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

j24

Post by j24 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:48 am

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:34 am Have you had your torque wrench properly calibrated lately?
If not, then I wouldn't worry too much as they can be up to 25% out.
Leave it as is.
1536Z4 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:36 am Yes 16nm is correct according to Newtis but as others have said not a biggie in the scheme of things and would leave as is . As above wipe down and see what happens . :thumbsup:
Brilliant, thanks guys.

In that case I’ll wipe down and I’ve got another excuse to go out for a test drive today :P

Panic over… for now! Cheers again all - I’ll update the thread if any oil/sludge makes a reappearance.

raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:15 am

As ever, the car is ungrateful for all your efforts but it should be alright in the end. I bought a bicycle torque wrench from Facebook Marketplace for £10. Comes in very handy with these plastic housings.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-04-02 at 11-03-29 Inbox (1) - raymondwilsonharper@googlemail.com - Gmail.png
Screenshot 2023-04-02 at 11-03-29 Inbox (1) - [email protected] - Gmail.png (1.12 MiB) Viewed 237 times

j24

Post by j24 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:57 am

raymond.harper wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:15 am As ever, the car is ungrateful for all your efforts but it should be alright in the end.
Ha yes - always the way!

Happy to say it looks like the oil sludge didn't return. Took it out for an extended test drive yesterday and seems all okay this time around, so looking like it might just have been a little bit of loose sludge that the belt flung around, which is a relief.

Will keep an eye on it but thinking it's all good!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:07 am

j24 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:57 am so looking like it might just have been a little bit of loose sludge that the belt flung around, which is a relief.
Or it's empty! :poke: :poke:

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:12 am

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:07 am
j24 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:57 am so looking like it might just have been a little bit of loose sludge that the belt flung around, which is a relief.
Nasty but good :lol:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

j24

Post by j24 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:16 am

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:07 am
Haha! :rofl:

Would probably be the best way to stop the leaks :P