Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rocker cover & oil filter housing leaks - thoughts on what to address?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
j24

Post by j24 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:32 pm

skelters wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:14 pm Any signs of the new rocker cover fixing the problem?
It's early days, but so far so good! Not seen any evidence of leaks but admittedly haven't had many opportunities to take the car out since installing the new cover.
2008 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - Montego Blue

j24

Post by j24 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:34 pm

Brouse wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:51 am I fluked getting my cover off.

Swearing at it helps!
:rofl:

Ahhh, so THAT's what was missing from all of these youtube step-by-step videos!!

TOMGREEN413

Post by TOMGREEN413 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:18 am

Well done Sir, respect!!! :thumbsup:
Thanks for the tool list :wink:
White e89 Red leather interior (But that's the wife's and don't I know it :/ )
Montego Blue Coupe manual si sport 💙 (Faster than the above....much faster :)

Simiewimie

Post by Simiewimie » Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:40 pm

j24 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:32 pm
skelters wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:14 pm Any signs of the new rocker cover fixing the problem?
It's early days, but so far so good! Not seen any evidence of leaks but admittedly haven't had many opportunities to take the car out since installing the new cover.
Hi j24.

Are you still happy with the Elring rocker cover? I’ve just ordered the same as the PCV seems to have let go on mine. Bit annoying as the rocker cover gaskets were only replaced about 5 months ago.
Did you use the gaskets that came with it or did you order additional original BMW?
2007 E86 3.0Si Sport Black

j24

Post by j24 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:13 pm

Simiewimie wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:40 pm Hi j24.

Are you still happy with the Elring rocker cover? I’ve just ordered the same as the PCV seems to have let go on mine. Bit annoying as the rocker cover gaskets were only replaced about 5 months ago.
Did you use the gaskets that came with it or did you order additional original BMW?
Still all okay as far as I can see! I’ve been paying attention to it pretty closely since doing the job, the only thing I haven’t checked is the spark plug tubes to see if there’s any oil pooling in there - but no reason to suspect there would be as no leaks elsewhere.

Same as you, I debated buying BMW gaskets and fitting them to the Elring cover - but in the end I stuck with the Elring gaskets that arrived with the cover. To my untrained eye they seemed good quality. I know Elring are a quality brand and make a few gaskets for BMW (think I read somewhere that they may make the OE oil filter housing and oil cooler gaskets).

Time will tell, but happy with the decision so far!

Simiewimie

Post by Simiewimie » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:40 pm

Awesome. Thanks j24.
I’m now just considering whether I do it myself or take it to my mechanic who’s previously worked on it.
Did you do yours in a garage or outside, open to the elements?

j24

Post by j24 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:07 pm

Simiewimie wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:40 pm Awesome. Thanks j24.
I’m now just considering whether I do it myself or take it to my mechanic who’s previously worked on it.
Did you do yours in a garage or outside, open to the elements?
Lucky enough to have a small garage which just about fits the zed, so did mine in there - I think you’d be able to do it in the open, just a case of hoping for a nice (dry) spring day!

Definitely doable in one day - but worth making sure you have all the tools etc you need for the job ready to go. It ended up taking me a few days to sort because of a few trips out to get deep sockets, adapters for socket bits to fit my 1/4 torque wrench etc… a few things I didn’t know I’d need when I started the job! Plus I managed to drop a bolt as I was putting the valvetronic motor back on… never to be seen again! That cost me a couple of days as I had to order one with my local dealer. Felt a little overkill for a 70p part! :rofl:

All in all it was a doable job. Felt a little daunted doing it all, but there’s a couple of really good YouTube videos out there to guide you through the various steps. I found this one pretty handy:

https://youtu.be/7JrK6YoNV3o

Coincidentally he’s installing the Elring valve cover in the video too!

Simiewimie

Post by Simiewimie » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:11 pm

Thank you so much! :thumbsup:

Simiewimie

Post by Simiewimie » Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:25 pm

Hi, j24.

I’ve just replaced the rocker cover, and all seems good! 👍🏼
Did get a lot of smoke on start up from bottom of engine (exhaust manifold) but hoping it’s just oil that dropped as the old cover came off. 🤞🏼

Only problem I had with the Elring cover was that the bolt at the end of the valvetronic motor would not go through. The two that go in to the face of the cover sat fine, but it’s as if the mount hole is too small. Did you have the same problem? How did you get around it?

Thanks.

j24

Post by j24 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:46 am

Simiewimie wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:25 pm Only problem I had with the Elring cover was that the bolt at the end of the valvetronic motor would not go through. The two that go in to the face of the cover sat fine, but it’s as if the mount hole is too small. Did you have the same problem? How did you get around it?
Ah that’s interesting - do you mean to bolt that sits underneath the valvetronic motor?

Here’s a picture of mine (before I put the bolt in):

I didn’t have any issues with the hole. Did you use an allen key to turn the bolt at the end of the motor?

I wound the motor so that the hole on the valvetronic motor pulled in and aligned with the valve cover before bolting back up, and had no issues on my end (other than the fact I managed to drop the bolt as it’s a fiddly thing to get back in!)

Simiewimie

Post by Simiewimie » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:56 am

That’s the one.
Yes. It went in and out fine by turning the bolt with the allen key. I’m going to have another look today. I did try a couple of times yesterday, but will have another go and make sure I’m trying to screw it in straight, as it is a bit of a squeeze down there with the driver.
:thumbsup:

j24

Post by j24 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:11 pm

Simiewimie wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:56 am That’s the one.
Yes. It went in and out fine by turning the bolt with the allen key. I’m going to have another look today. I did try a couple of times yesterday, but will have another go and make sure I’m trying to screw it in straight, as it is a bit of a squeeze down there with the driver.
:thumbsup:
Yep, it’s definitely a fiddly one!! The only bolt I managed to drop/loose :headbang:

I ended up needing to buy a new one from the dealer for about 70p :lol:

You might need to remove an ignition coil or two to get at it properly.

Glad that the rest of the job went well, and good luck with the last fiddly bit! :)