Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cleaning roof

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Acestumacher

Cleaning roof

Post by Acestumacher » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:57 pm

Chris_D wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:48 am
millview22 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:31 am Have a look at Car Cleaning Guru on YouTube - he recently cleaned the roof of a MX5, which was in very poor condition.
My nephew asked me about that video as he's just bought himself an MX5.
OMFG, major cringe with the amount of scrubbing he did on that roof!!
He's probably taken at least 10 years out of it's life! It's amazing he didn't wear holes into it!
My nephew followed my (and his granddad's) method to tackle the mould on his own roof. It took over a week of applying and re-applying white vinegar, letting it soak in and do it's own work before lightly washing and it's come up like brand new!

As an impatient Gen z'er he wanted an instant result but wisely he decided to bide his time and is now glad he did.
You can also make your own vinegar solution by mixing acetic acid with distilled or demineralised water.
It's the ONLY method you need to use unless of course, you're an impatient sod.
:lol: :evil:
yes think I have been that impatient sod!

millview22

Cleaning roof

Post by millview22 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:51 am

There is no doubt white vinegar is a tremendous cleaning product. However, the various companies supplying bespoke cleaning products argue that vinegar or milton tablets may very well deal with the green stuff on a convertible top, but that their products also contain inhibitors to prevent regrowth. It is also interesting that these same companies all sell brushes to scrub the fabric. I tend to the view the fabric used for convertible tops is pretty tough and I have used these brushes regularly over the last few years with no apparent damage.

It's amazing though that we all have slightly different approaches to cleaning the roof... :D
2023 BMW Z4 G29 sDrive 20i M sport in Thundernight
2020 BMW S1000 XR TE, ice grey

Caz

Cleaning roof

Post by Caz » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:39 pm

Thanks everyone got some idea to try now