Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Airbag control modules- help needed

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:52 pm

Hi all

Right this one has me flummoxed. Tonys car...

I'll tell the story I know abridged as there have been multiple efforts to sort the issues prior to me getting at it!

The main issue was an airbag light appearing on the 03 2.5 E85. So prior to me looking at it I think the following happened:

- water ingress diagnosed, nearside airbag module swapped for one with the same code
- several auto electricians tried to clear the light

Tony and I chatted and he popped over last weekend for me to recode the new module (assumed this would resolve the issue)

Ran codes, cleared faults- light went. Result.

However the airbag light then relit. No issues- went on to recode the new module using WINKFP.

Light would not go out. Used Carly and INPA to diagnose seat occupancy sensor issue- thinking thats the root cause and Tony telling me it first came on when the seat was moved/sat it I got a bypass sensor and fitted that today.

The light persists.

When I look at the codes now it is saying ERROR_ECU_GENERAL_REJECT on SIM85

See screenshots- all pre start tests are OK. As far as I can read the control modules are not talking to each other?

When I try to go into individual airbag modules on INPA I can access the main overall area, but not each subsequent area (like airbag left/right module etc)

NOTE- to revert the system to its pre-issues status I have reinstalled the original nearside module, so the system is back to how it was, seat bypass installed.

Anyone got a view what I should attempt or look at next please?
BF6EC9BF-23E4-408C-B664-2FA14B8530C5.JPG
BF6EC9BF-23E4-408C-B664-2FA14B8530C5.JPG (116.67 KiB) Viewed 807 times
IMG_4328.jpg
IMG_4328.jpg (165.84 KiB) Viewed 807 times
IMG_4329.jpg
IMG_4329.jpg (197.48 KiB) Viewed 807 times
IMG_4330.jpg
IMG_4330.jpg (173.69 KiB) Viewed 807 times
IMG_4333.jpg
IMG_4333.jpg (176.14 KiB) Viewed 807 times
IMG_4334.jpg
IMG_4334.jpg (179.3 KiB) Viewed 807 times
IMG_4335.jpg
IMG_4335.jpg (166.19 KiB) Viewed 807 times
IMG_4336.jpg
IMG_4336.jpg (179.84 KiB) Viewed 807 times
IMG_4337.jpg
IMG_4337.jpg (153.51 KiB) Viewed 807 times
Last edited by bigwinn on Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:52 pm

paging Col B
colb
Thoughts?
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:53 pm

In better news I did get time to sort Tonys roof motor and check his door membranes!

EWS Delete PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:34 pm

Is it possible the optic connection between the modules is damaged? Do the two outers communicate through the central one?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:59 pm

I did wonder that

EWS Delete PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:22 pm

bigwinn wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:52 pm paging Col B
colb
Thoughts?
Stuart, to get a referral sent to someone you need to click on their name, select 'refer by username' and it will appear in bold on your post and send them a notification. Like this............bigwinn

If they are not active in the thread to select from then click on any name and when their name appears within the brackets on your post delete it and write in the name of the person you want. Like this.................colb

Otherwise they may not know you're looking for them. :thumbsup:

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:31 pm

Thank you!

EWS Delete PM me

colb

Post by colb » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:42 pm

Just back from hols in Australia so just picked this thread up.
Since there is no response from any of the airbag modules I would suspect that the central module behind the handbrake is the one at fault. The Satellite modules report back to the main module so its not surprising both Satellite modules are showing no communication. Best way forward would be to source another replacement central module with same part number as yours or consult Realoem parts site using your Vin number to see what other part number modules can be exchanged with yours. Be careful as some modules will not be compatable others will be listed as exchangable retrospectively. Replacement module will need to be coded to the car using NCS Expert software.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:01 pm

bigwinn, I have a complete set of three from the same car if it would be easier to swap the lot?
Sounds like overkill but may work?

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:24 pm

colb wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:42 pm Just back from hols in Australia so just picked this thread up.
Since there is no response from any of the airbag modules I would suspect that the central module behind the handbrake is the one at fault. The Satellite modules report back to the main module so its not surprising both Satellite modules are showing no communication. Best way forward would be to source another replacement central module with same part number as yours or consult Realoem parts site using your Vin number to see what other part number modules can be exchanged with yours. Be careful as some modules will not be compatable others will be listed as exchangable retrospectively. Replacement module will need to be coded to the car using NCS Expert software.
Cheers Colb-

How sure are you on this- just because I am conscious that Tony has already paid out for a side module which wasn't at fault and I don't want to keep chasing down holes...

Any advice on what I can check?

EWS Delete PM me

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:25 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:01 pm bigwinn, I have a complete set of three from the same car if it would be easier to swap the lot?
Sounds like overkill but may work?
I think I have a set but will check the compatibility thanks for the offer Martin

EWS Delete PM me

colb

Post by colb » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:36 am

The fact that none of the modules show no response would lead me to suspect the main module being at fault as the satellite modules are connected to the main module, if that has an internal fault then its not going to have communication with the satellite modules hence the no response error codes. Don't think there is anything you can do to test the main module other than replace with a compatable module and code it to the car. The original satellite modules will already have the cars vin number in them so they shouldn't require recoding.
When searching for a compatable main module consult realoem using the cars Vin number then explore the list of compatable modules that will work with the car.
I have only ever had success coding a replacement main module on a Z3 using NCS Expert, have had issues with a couple of Z4's with duff satellite modules even my Launch Diagnostic/Coding tablet failed to code the replacements. I was left with wrong Vin codes for the modules and could not get it to change the Vin. I suspected that the replacement module may have come from a crashed car which was locked up requiring a different method of restting it via the eeprom chip inside the module which was beyond my capability.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:17 am

Thank you

I’ve got one in the garage I’ll see if it’s compatible

EWS Delete PM me

colb

Post by colb » Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:01 pm

Like a bad penny had another 2003 2.5 Z4 turn up at the Shed with the airbag light on
History is that the left satillite module was replaced after water damaged to the original.
Scanned and code for wrong Vin in replacement module showed up
Tried coding it using my Launch scanner/coder but module wouldn't code.
Main module scanned and that came up with 93DB (Stepup convertor defective) module wouldn't recode either. Code erased but returns, airbag light remains on.
In Startup test all three modules show no comminication however scan on just the right module shows it as passed ok.

Looks like the main module is the cause, won't know till a compatable module is put in and coded to the car if that suceeds then vin number chang on the left module can be given a go.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:13 pm

Interesting col

Seems a theme

EWS Delete PM me