Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How much oil do I need to top up? Oil filter housing gasket/oil cooler gasket job

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
j24

How much oil do I need to top up? Oil filter housing gasket/oil cooler gasket job

Post by j24 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:48 am

Hi all,

I'm part the way through doing a few jobs on my coupe at once, installing new oil filter housing and oil cooler gaskets - and also taking the opportunity whilst it's being done to install a new tensioner, serpentine belt, upgrade the coolant flange to an aluminium part.

ANYWAY - Hopefully will start to put things back together soon, and wondering how much oil I'll need to put in to top up the car?

I realise the common sense answer would be that I might as well do an oil service whilst I'm there - but it's actually booked in for a service in a few weeks' time to get an inspection 1/stamp in the book.

It's a dipstick free (other than the owner!) N52 engine.

Before doing the job I loosened the oil filter cap, as I read this helps the oil drain into the block/sump - but there was still a reasonable amount of oil/coolant spillage.

The coolant is pretty straightforward, but no idea how much oil I'll need to put in.

Does anyone have any idea how much oil the oil filter housing holds / how much I should top up with?

Cheers for any pointers.
2008 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - Montego Blue

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:35 am

I can't imagine there being very much in the housing, certainly nowhere near enough to make a huge dent in what's left. If you had lost a litre (max to min on the electro dipstick) you'd know about it as the mess would be phenomenal!
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:55 am

Are you re-installing the old filter? Then I'd say negligible (assuming you've left the filter for when the service is due).

If not then just add a token 200-300ml? Then drive with the car to start the oil measurement, then top up again when it directs you (or leave if you have enough).

Be good to know what the amount was, just for curiosity sake, as I've got to do the gaskets on the e90 which has the same engine you have.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

j24

Post by j24 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:29 pm

Thanks both!

Definitely a little messy, but not total carnage, so guess it won’t have lost an entire litre from the sounds of it.

Yep, I’m reinstalling the old filter as it’ll get a new one in a couple of weeks time.

A token 200/300 ml might be the way to go, then take a reading in the car after a ten min drive.

Wishing I’d put a bucket down to get a bit of a reference on the amount, but working on the car inside a tight garage without lifting it up - so just using some sort of plastic sheet to catch any oil/coolant.

Anyway, cheers - feeling a little more reassured that I can’t have spilled an insane amount!
2008 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - Montego Blue