Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Convertible top control module dead?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Briancampbell604

Post by Briancampbell604 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:01 am

2003 new to me z4 3.0i .
I have seen mention of several top problems and solutions, but I haven’t seen mine mentioned. My issue is the orange top light is always flashing and doesn’t change from flashing no matter what . I have checked all fuses and verified voltage and ground at the module. I tried two of my friends scanners ( snap on modus ? And snap on Zeus) both say no communication with the module . Am I correct to assume the module is bad ?

tug

Post by tug » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:57 am

Is the light red or orange? If its orange then it will be the shelf sensor. If red then yes, there is another problem.

Cheers, tug :thumbsup:
E85 N46 2.0i SE BLACK SAPPHIRE

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:46 am

Sounds a bit odd though as usually the orange light only flashes while you’re trying to operate the roof?
Definitely confirm the colour first.
If there’s no communication with the module though that does sound a bit like it could be the issue.
Modules are easy enough to change. Whereabouts are you? Maybe someone nearby with a spare you could swap to check
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Briancampbell604

Post by Briancampbell604 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:06 pm

Bottom orange light (I think the top light is the red one ?) , just blinks like a steady heartbeat it blinks even when the car is off and locked . I’m in Alabama , US .

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:07 pm

Briancampbell604 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:06 pm Bottom orange light (I think the top light is the red one ?) , just blinks like a steady heartbeat it blinks even when the car is off and locked . I’m in Alabama , US .
No worries, simply provide an air ticket and some beer and I’ll bring one over.
On a serious note, that points to the module for me

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Briancampbell604

Post by Briancampbell604 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:12 pm

That’s what I was thinking, I even took the board out of the casing under magnification to see it I could see anything obvious. The modules are very expensive at least .

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:35 pm

Briancampbell604 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:12 pm That’s what I was thinking, I even took the board out of the casing under magnification to see it I could see anything obvious. The modules are very expensive at least .
Do you mean 'NOT' very expensive?
Easy to come by in the UK.

Briancampbell604

Post by Briancampbell604 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:37 pm

Lol I meant to say not very expensive.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:43 pm

Briancampbell604 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:37 pm Lol I meant to say not very expensive.
Never quite know with the prices over there. Well I hope it fixes it for you.
And on the bright side, it helped you find the best forum on the interweb. :D

Briancampbell604

Post by Briancampbell604 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:25 pm

Honestly if the front hooks would unlatch and latch when I press the button I probably wouldn’t even bother digging any deeper . Turning that part manually takes a while .

Briancampbell604

Post by Briancampbell604 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:22 am

Hopefully find one to order on eBay soon .

Briancampbell604

Post by Briancampbell604 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:46 am

Update : I received my eBay top module and my cowl latches work now . I can hear the actual top motor running but it doesn’t move the top , I think the manual bypass is stuck in bypass . I will try to take the motor out of the side bin to check it tomorrow.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:22 am

Briancampbell604 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:46 am Update : I received my eBay top module and my cowl latches work now . I can hear the actual top motor running but it doesn’t move the top , I think the manual bypass is stuck in bypass . I will try to take the motor out of the side bin to check it tomorrow.
One step forward. That’s good.
I assume you’ll relocate the motor into the trunk then?
When you disconnect the manual lever assembly from the pump head you’ll see the small brass plunger. It has a small hex head and sometimes you can free it off by oiling and twisting. If that fails there is a blank on the opposite side. Take that out and use a thin pin punch or similar to push the plunger back out.
Have plenty of rags to stop the oil getting into the carpet if you go this way.
In the trunk location the pump will be at a greater angle. To prevent the ports being uncovered and sucking air, top it up with hydraulic jack oil until it spills out the top. This will still leave an adequate air gap when you tilt it back but is enough to ensure it works properly.
You may need to assist the movement a couple of times until it self bleeds. Then check the level again.
Don’t secure it in place until you’re sure it’s working properly.

Briancampbell604

Post by Briancampbell604 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:55 pm

Thank for the tip, Definitely going to relocate the motor . On another note before I replaced the module the AM/FM radio reception was zero and now its perfect , I didn't see anything that would have that effect in the top module but I will take all the help I can get from things fixing themselves .

zriha

Post by zriha » Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:22 pm

The main problem from my experience now dealing with Z4 and roof is that besides relocating the motor (if it is rust, then it will die), and shelf sensor that can break easily.

In the case of the shelf sensor - the orange light will always on - light will be on if you try to operate the roof.

But, if the orange light is blinking, from the moment you started the car, and nothing happens when you press the button to operate the roof, then the problem is usually in the wiring.

Here is what it looks like:
s-l1600.png
s-l1600.png (272.09 KiB) Viewed 490 times
After 10+ years of the roof going up and down, this cable:
cab.png
cab.png (496.62 KiB) Viewed 490 times
have serious breaks in the wires. I had so many problems with that, that I ordered a new set of cables hopefully it will work like a charm for another 20 years.

Wiring can easily break, it is not the case with Z4, but also BMW 3 series of that generation.
Current fleet
BMW Z4 (E85) 2.5i 5-speed manual
Mini Cooper S JCW F56
Royal Enfield Classic 350 Signals (Marsh Grey)