Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Convertible roof/hood problem

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
cusword

Post by cusword » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:46 pm

We have a 2005 convertibe. A few months ago the roof started to open with a 'snatch' on releasing. Now it won't open without a helping hand. You can hear it trying to open, but won't release until you give the underside of the header rail a thump with your hand....then it opens! By header rail I mean the steel crossmember at the front of the roof/hood that contains the two hooky things.

Any ideas?

Ciao....David

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:26 pm

So once it's cleared the rail it moves ok?
Could be something as simple as dry or dirty levers that are catching? Try a little vaseline or something similar wiped on the catch plates when the roof is open.
Or it couldbe that the mechanism is tired. Either the motor is getting weak or the drive shafts are starting to twist?
Not sure where you are but I have a complete roof that I was thinking of just selling the parts off.
Stuart (bigwinn), did exactly that a few weeks back, so maybe check with him to see what bits he still has.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

cusword

Post by cusword » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:19 pm

Thanks for the response. The two hook/lever things are nice and loose but I will have a look in more detail at the weekend. Where are the drive shafts you refer to, and where is the motor?

Bob123

Post by Bob123 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:27 pm

Could it be the wiring loom that governs the first stage of the hood folding down having frayed connections?
Pre-facelift E85 3.0i SE with manual gearbox - written off by insurer
Some accessories for sale now and in the future.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:40 pm

pop the cover off at the part where it meets the windscreen frame for a look- you should see the motor tuning and moving the two output shafts?
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me