Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

CarPlay/AA MMI box with MOST connection

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:26 pm

For B21 :thumbsup:
Attachments
20230203_162112.jpg
20230203_162112.jpg (148.37 KiB) Viewed 691 times
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:55 pm

I think I’ll go for a floating connector with a bit more wire but yours does look neat.

I’m stripping out the media snap in iPhone adapter…since that terminates I assume in a USB connection (albeit with a bmw proprietary connector) was wondering about salvaging that connector to give a second USB connection in addition to the one already in the armrest?

As an aside still not got artwork back on the media snap in connector but still have artwork if I plug the phone into the standard USB connection in the armrest..

As another aside ..I’m a recent convert to YouTube streaming music …(their music channel)…

In my Volvo, Mini and Z4 the stability of the connection seems variable…music streams always but meta data both text and artwork seems to ‘fall off’ after a few tracks ..I end up with text that just says YouTube Music..ie no track by track metadata or artwork..you can reset it by a restart..

Hopefully wired CarPlay will improve on that glitchiness?
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

geez4

Post by geez4 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:41 am

Trying to bump this. I have a 'new' 2009 Z4 35i. I have just sent this around to a few auto elecs to see if anyone wants to install. I have a few questions I have not found the answer to:
1. From the Mr12V website:
Does Not support the integration of OEM microphones, however both BMW and Mr12volt Bluetooth can be connected at the same time. BMW will handle as HF and Mr12volt as HF/Media (as a result, BMW HF will take over Mr12volt when a call is received).
So I take it you can wire up up so that the Mr12volt HF can take control and not the BMW? If I am in Android auto I will want to make calls from that.

2. Is this easy to install so I can get back to the box to install upgrades / change codes?

3. When you install a rear camera, is there anything specific you have to do to get the stock sensors and new rear camera to work side by side. Looking at the video Dave (legend) made, this is more so an option in the settings? (or am I confused with the old android screen he had??)

4. If I wanted to connect an ODB2 connector, would I have to get a WiFi one or would a bluetooth one work? Thought it would be cool to have all the car stuff handy in android and I might play around with a few screens for when I take this to the track or out cruising.

Sorry if this is stuff that has been discussed. I feel like I have been through every thread even the bloody M3 one.

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:48 pm

geez4 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:41 am So I take it you can wire up up so that the Mr12volt HF can take control and not the BMW? If I am in Android auto I will want to make calls from that.
Sorry I can’t be more specific but there’s a bit of coding to alter so that when you press the voice command on the steering wheel then Mr12volt will work and not the BMW one
geez4 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:41 am 2. Is this easy to install so I can get back to the box to install upgrades / change codes?
This depends where you mount it as to how much trim you have to remove, mines in the passenger footwell between the transmission tunnel and lower heater vents, I only have to remove the trim below the glovebox, the USB cable needs to be routed into the glovebox so you can do some update’s from that, although officially you are supposed to remove the power cable from the mr12volt box, but I’ve read it can be done by rebooting from the idrive knob.
geez4 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:41 am 3. When you install a rear camera, is there anything specific you have to do to get the stock sensors and new rear camera to work side by side. Looking at the video Dave (legend) made, this is more so an option in the settings? (or am I confused with the old android screen he had??)
Yes you are correct just adjust settings
geez4 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:41 am 4. If I wanted to connect an ODB2 connector, would I have to get a WiFi one or would a bluetooth one work? Thought it would be cool to have all the car stuff handy in android and I might play around with a few screens for when I take this to the track or out cruising.
Can’t help but I don’t see why either wouldn’t work
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

geez4

Post by geez4 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:14 pm

Legend thanks for the reply.

I think with the ODB2 I did see some complaints that perhaps you couldnt have multiple bluetooth devices going at once, but you could use WiFi. I will have to have a bit more of a look into it.

If removing the power is to power cycle I might just install it somewhere with a switch to do just that. Always nice to be able to turn things off and on! Noted re the USB cable.

With the coding, this is using Bimmercode or similar? It is the car I am messing with?

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:24 pm

geez4 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:41 am Trying to bump this. I have a 'new' 2009 Z4 35i. I have just sent this around to a few auto elecs to see if anyone wants to install. I have a few questions I have not found the answer to:
1. From the Mr12V website:
Does Not support the integration of OEM microphones, however both BMW and Mr12volt Bluetooth can be connected at the same time. BMW will handle as HF and Mr12volt as HF/Media (as a result, BMW HF will take over Mr12volt when a call is received).

So I take it you can wire up up so that the Mr12volt HF can take control and not the BMW? If I am in Android auto I will want to make calls from that.
With Android Auto it is a little easier without any additional coding for Voice (I'm not referring to any coding regarding NOT having CDC coded already to the car, as this is a separate issue). With AA, to activate Voice, just flick the controller to the sidebar (left or right side depending how you want it to look) and scroll down to the microphone symbol and press, this will activate "Ask Google", this will then pick up from whatever microphone you have connected to the MMI box. Although it is not supported for the OE microphone I've made up a Y loom and connected to my OE mic anyway. It's not good enough for phone calls but picks up perfectly well for "Ask Google" whenever I need it. As for phone calls I use the OE bluetooth anyway, it just changes the screen back to the OE phone screen and works from there. I hardly ever receive a call while driving and even rarer make one, so this is never an issue to me doing it this way. I also have my phone connected via the dock in the photo above which is connected to the MMI USB port, so I have a wired connection as opposed to a Bluetooth one. In doing it this way I "can" still go into "phone" in AA, but as soon as I press "call" it'll transfer the screen to OE.
geez4 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:41 am 2. Is this easy to install so I can get back to the box to install upgrades / change codes?
As above reply, it depends where you install it. Updates are rare anyway, so no major problem here. "Change codes"? not sure what you mean, as it would only be the occasional update that would require access to the box.
geez4 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:41 am 3. When you install a rear camera, is there anything specific you have to do to get the stock sensors and new rear camera to work side by side. Looking at the video Dave (legend) made, this is more so an option in the settings? (or am I confused with the old android screen he had??)
If using a reversing camera, and you have OE PDC then once you set the correct setting then it'll show up on the screen.
geez4 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:41 am 4. If I wanted to connect an ODB2 connector, would I have to get a WiFi one or would a bluetooth one work? Thought it would be cool to have all the car stuff handy in android and I might play around with a few screens for when I take this to the track or out cruising.

Sorry if this is stuff that has been discussed. I feel like I have been through every thread even the bloody M3 one.
There are ways to do this, but it's not something I've done myself.

I'm assuming you have watched my install video?....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY4XAzUYiXk&t=
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:30 pm

I see there’s a firmware update to address a L/R channel issue ?…plus more camera support options?

"bmwCIC_20230206" fixed L / R channel reversed issue

https://www.mr12volt.com/pages/p2000-change-log
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:38 pm

After several weeks off from my eye op starting to get going in the garage..

Did the firmware update no obvious changes …

Decided to play around with the MMI MOST box start up screen that can no longer be changed in the latest release and has the Mr 12 Volt splash screen.

So uploaded a 1280*480 splash screen of my own and also replaced the Mr 12 Volt Icon in the apps screen with a tasteful BMW logo..

Will start buttoning up the interior steadily now..

Anyone need help on coding the splash screen or app icon let me know
Attachments
2D98AC49-CF1C-4DB0-B08B-776E21FDFEC7.jpeg
2D98AC49-CF1C-4DB0-B08B-776E21FDFEC7.jpeg (135.18 KiB) Viewed 520 times
1186C95F-5486-4655-A9AE-03C7899AFF4D.jpeg
1186C95F-5486-4655-A9AE-03C7899AFF4D.jpeg (148.73 KiB) Viewed 520 times

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:41 pm

A few other splash screens I tried ..
Attachments
11646D4A-F03C-4B97-890C-FF3D7487B8E8.jpeg
11646D4A-F03C-4B97-890C-FF3D7487B8E8.jpeg (16.07 KiB) Viewed 517 times
9C98F30C-B7B5-4BB1-B9A8-883D5AD56CF0.jpeg
9C98F30C-B7B5-4BB1-B9A8-883D5AD56CF0.jpeg (30.4 KiB) Viewed 517 times
2F1F602F-6EAF-488A-AFD0-9F7BC2D27C41.jpeg
2F1F602F-6EAF-488A-AFD0-9F7BC2D27C41.jpeg (28.99 KiB) Viewed 517 times

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:02 am

One of my intended mods of 2023; MMI, reverse camera, and front/rear collision cameras. 🤞🤞
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

geez4

Post by geez4 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:29 am

Just had to drop $7.5k on my cars first service, soooooo sadly not to sure if I can afford one of these for a while.

Any negatives?

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:05 am

geez4 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:29 am Just had to drop $7.5k on my cars first service, soooooo sadly not to sure if I can afford one of these for a while.

Any negatives?
They are only meant to change the oil and filter, not the engine :o
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

geez4

Post by geez4 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:26 am

Just brought it, so bit of a shock. They made me replace brakes for our road worthy certificate. Mechanic reckons I had another service in them, but have to do it because THE LAW.

Had a sparky misfiring, leaks in transmission, coolant in my engine and gasket issues. Had car inspected independently before purchase and spoke to the previous two mechanics who serviced it.

Meh, it is what it is. Get it all done now, hopefully after that we get many happy KMs out of it! :headbang:

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:35 am

geez4 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:29 am Just had to drop $7.5k on my cars first service, soooooo sadly not to sure if I can afford one of these for a while.

Any negatives?
In terms of negatives not that many…the signal to noise ratio is not quite as good as the OE set up…ie if you crank it up to full volume with no signal you can hear audible hiss (if you are sitting in an anechoic chamber) :tumbleweed: :thumbsup:

The switching relay makes an audible click..also if you are sitting in an anechoic chamber..

It gets confused if you switch audio and modes ie CarPlay then OE mode and the audio playing stops..in my case asking Siri for something solves that..

The box runs fairly warm so I’m not sure how it would fair mounted in an area without ventilation..

But so far it’s the best of both worlds ..modernity bang up to date in terms of apps, media whilst retaining the classic clean interior of the E89. AND no cables visible..which I detest..

geez4

Post by geez4 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:43 pm

Sounds awesome. I love this car but as above looks like it had a few problems and its costing me an arm and a leg to replace. I am not a mechanic so need to get the pros to do it.

This project I will need to do later :(