Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Air bag code 9853

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Air bag code 9853

Post by bigwinn » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:03 pm

is the membrane still attached to the car OK?
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Simonsen

Air bag code 9853

Post by Simonsen » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:06 pm

Yes checked the glue all OK

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Air bag code 9853

Post by bigwinn » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:12 pm

has the code gone now?
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Air bag code 9853

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:25 pm

Whereabouts is the carpet wet then?
Even a perfect looking membrane can leak. About 6 inches back from the front along the lower edge, the metalwork kicks in a bit. The membrane tends to lift away at that point.
If it's not coming in there then it could be as I suggested, from the roof motor well.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

Simonsen

Air bag code 9853

Post by Simonsen » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:52 am

Carpet is wet on both sides behine the seats, code cleared and it hasn't reappeared since yesterday.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Air bag code 9853

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:08 pm

Simonsen wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:52 am Carpet is wet on both sides behine the seats, code cleared and it hasn't reappeared since yesterday.
Fingers crossed then.
Definitely need to find the source of the leak though or more problems will arise.
Under the RH seat is the yaw sensor. If this gets wet it fails.

Simonsen

Air bag code 9853

Post by Simonsen » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:28 pm

So I was looking for the source of the leak, and decided to relocate roof motor as Ive read so many horrors stories well abosultely stupid idea. If your roof motor is in housing and there is a lot of tape around it don't touch it.
Firstly housing inside and motor were absolutely in perfect condition but once its out there is no way back I guess. So relocate it to boot space but because I fiddleed with it and now it's not in up right position oil level dropped. So I can here motor running but no action from the roof.
Going back to leak rear is OK so it must be from the front drain points. Checked membrane again and as mentioned before perfect condition all over. To summarise I made it worse by causing a problem with roof and not finding water leak - just great

smorris_12

Air bag code 9853

Post by smorris_12 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:46 pm

If I had a tenner for every time I started on a course of action only to find it both redundant and giving me extra grief by making it worse first, I'd spend a lot more time in the pub!
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Air bag code 9853

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:51 pm

Simonsen wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:28 pm So I was looking for the source of the leak, and decided to relocate roof motor as Ive read so many horrors stories well abosultely stupid idea. If your roof motor is in housing and there is a lot of tape around it don't touch it.
Firstly housing inside and motor were absolutely in perfect condition but once its out there is no way back I guess. So relocate it to boot space but because I fiddleed with it and now it's not in up right position oil level dropped. So I can here motor running but no action from the roof.
Going back to leak rear is OK so it must be from the front drain points. Checked membrane again and as mentioned before perfect condition all over. To summarise I made it worse by causing a problem with roof and not finding water leak - just great
I'd dispute that tbh. I did one yesterday. The well was bone dry and the drains were clear. The motor worked perfectly. But when we lifted it out the casing was full of brown water. We would not have known until the motor died.
If you use the search function on the forum to guide you through the relocation you will see many references to the oil level. In it's normal position it is almost upright, but when you put it in the boot at angle the level does not drop, it merely sits differently in the reservoir and one of the inlet ports will be uncovered, allowing the pump to draw in air instead.
All you have to do is simply stand the assembly upright, remove the fill screw on the top and top up with hydraulic jack oil until it spills over. This will still leave a small air gap though.
Put the motor back in the corner and all should work fine. You may have to assist it up and down the first time as it self-bleeds the air out.

It is most definitely NOT a 'stupid idea' just because you were one of the lucky ones.
This comes across (maybe wrongly) that you blame the advice you were given for introducing another fault!

Simonsen

Air bag code 9853

Post by Simonsen » Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:42 pm

Thanks for above. I thought it might me relocation and oil level issue. Well it's becoming a norm weekend come and I am searching for water leak. Again I had a puddle of water behind passenger seat. Tested front draining point all OK it's coming straight down I tested rear roof ones again all working fine water flows straight down. Membrane in doors ok so why oh why do I still get water in there??