Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Transport mode...?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
cmbuild

Transport mode...?

Post by cmbuild » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:36 pm

Hello everyone! Had some recent issues with my battery which I put down to moving to WFH and just not driving it enough... It seemed to randomly discharge at some times quicker than others. It sometimes would have condensation on the inside - checked the carpets, all seemed dry in the cabin! Then, I realised my AC wouldn't turn on, put it down to the battery. Fast forward to the weekend just gone, where I had bought a battery charger and was hoping to try and diagnose an idle drain. You might see where this is going...

Inspected my boot and found some damp under the battery cover shelf thing. Damp on the well under the O/S lamp. Dampness around/on the battery. Could this be what's causing the battery uncertainty?!

So, I've reseated the O/S lamp enclosure, and keep checking for damp - and given my battery a good charge. But! Still can't turn on AC or rear demister, which after reading further and further have linked it to transport mode mentioned on here multiple times.

1) Would I be correct to assume this?
2) Don't suppose anyone lives near Hull that can clear this for me?!
3) I have a Windows 11 laptop and can poke around with things like VMs, but most of the links to INPA/etc. are dead/old/other. I also have USB and Ethernet to OBD cables (I think both have been used on a BMW before) - can someone give me a bulletproof link/guide to doing it myself?

Thanks in advance!

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Transport mode...?

Post by bigwinn » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:53 pm

Sounds like transport mode to me

I’m near Lincoln if it helps
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

cmbuild

Transport mode...?

Post by cmbuild » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:32 pm

I did think to myself when typing, "what's a reasonable distance, York or Lincoln probably"! Presume you've done this before therefore!

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Transport mode...?

Post by bigwinn » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:39 pm

A while back and DIS is one of the worst BMW tools....

But yeah!
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

colb

Transport mode...?

Post by colb » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:25 pm

BMW Scanner 1.4 on a laptop can reset Transport mode but it can't delete it which the supplying dealer should have done when they supplied the car More expensive tablet diagnostic and coding tools can delete TMode like Launch and Autel.
Money in the bank for BMW not deleting it sooner or later a cars going to suffer low battery and TMode gets set to conserve power for starting
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

cmbuild

Transport mode...?

Post by cmbuild » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:45 pm

Thanks - will send you a message and try and get something arranged!

mattimus

Transport mode...?

Post by mattimus » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:12 pm

I’m also running round in Transport mode at the mo… if anyone’s nearish York and fancies some beer tokens… let me know!

colb

Transport mode...?

Post by colb » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:59 am

Reset a few here in South Wales for owners using BMW Scanner 1.4 and now have a Launch Tablet Scanner and coding that can delete TMode, deleted mine using it without problems. The Launch scanner is an expensive option but far easier than fafing about with NCS Expert and DIS. Bonus is it works on all makes not just BMW's.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

cmbuild

Transport mode...?

Post by cmbuild » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:03 pm

Well, my friend announced he had a BMW scanner from years ago when I mentioned it to him - and hey presto, it's cleared! Had to charge my battery again so still not sure if there's a separate issue, but may be able to use my new tool to help me diagnose...

mattimus

Transport mode...?

Post by mattimus » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:38 am

Got mine cleared by MSC in Leicester while travelling for work, they charged £50+VAT but looked through all other fault codes for anything serious before clearing them, and said a repeat scan on a return visit is included. They used an Autologic.

dmo

Transport mode...?

Post by dmo » Thu May 04, 2023 6:00 pm

Is there anything specific about the BMW Scanner 1.4 interface that connects to the car (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364016033975), or is the magic all in the software?
I have a blue canbus reader that I bought a while back which cam with software - I'm wondering if I can download the BMW Scanner 1.4 from online and use the existing connection that I have.

If anyone knows - let me know?
Thanks
BMW Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe (AUTO) (2006), Silver Grey FOR SALE

cmbuild

Transport mode...?

Post by cmbuild » Thu May 04, 2023 6:06 pm

dmo wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:00 pm Is there anything specific about the BMW Scanner 1.4 interface that connects to the car (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364016033975), or is the magic all in the software?
I have a blue canbus reader that I bought a while back which cam with software - I'm wondering if I can download the BMW Scanner 1.4 from online and use the existing connection that I have.

If anyone knows - let me know?
Thanks
It needs the scanner hardware. Weird anti-piracy as I understand it. They're plentiful on eBay it seems...