Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

kangaroo hop

"M" Specific discussion
Kirk

Re: kangaroo hop

Post by Kirk » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:02 pm

No hopping on mine yet which is more than could be said for my M3 (which loved to hop). The car seems to react well to an active/aggressive driving style as others have mentioned (I find myself almost 'on top' of the pedals and gearbox at times if that makes any sense). Also, let the car sit for a bit when you start it. I've found this helps smooth things out as you shift from 1st to 2nd.

Z4 Forum AMW

Re: kangaroo hop

Post by Z4 Forum AMW » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:28 pm

It sounds like this is nothing to do with the clutch or driver but more like the increasingly common hesitatant acceleration in 2nd and 3rd!
2003 Z4 2.5 - Grey with Red Leather

3gGT01

kangaroo hop

Post by 3gGT01 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:10 am

I have a 2007 Z4MC with 112K on it. I've had it for over 2 years. I've never had any manual transmission car start jerking like this on taking off or when going from 1st to 2nd gear. It doesn't seem to matter if the car is warmed up or not and it doesn't do it all the time, just when you need to quickly get going. My wife mainly drives it, so that bucking is a real issue when cars are behind you at a light and expecting this car to get after it when they are driving a stomp and steer automatic car behind you and right on your tail. This bucking in 1st or 2nd on take off is concerning as the car behind you might rearend you during the shift as the reaction is to slow down during the bucking.

I didn't realize it but it already had the CDV installed and I completely removed the CDV altogether, but this is still an intermittent problem. I could replace the clutch/pressure plate and flywheel, but I'm not so sure this will make much of a difference.

I have noticed that if dump the clutch pretty quickly, I don't think it occurs. I have lots of high HP cars and I do track some of them. I have never seen this type of issue. This problem sounds common for this car. Is there any mechanical way to resolve this? Could there be any oil on the clutch disc? Disc doesn't seem to slip though.

Thanks!
2007 Z4MC Interlagos Blue Metallic w/Light Sepang Bronze Nappa interior. 'Emma'

ga41

kangaroo hop

Post by ga41 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:26 am

Talk about bringing a thread back from the dead! :rofl:

I think i only got that bunny hop a few times when i first got the car, removed the CDV which may have improved things. The way i start off with the Z4M is just to gently release the clutch without any throttle, the car starts moving and doesnt stall, then i give it some throttle. If i need to make a quicker getaway i balance clutch/throttle as you would. I guess you need to get used to it...
-- http://www.freerice.com/ For each answer you get right, they will donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program --

MKZ4000

kangaroo hop

Post by MKZ4000 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:27 am

I also find 1st to 2nd unruly, more so if I attempt to shift quickly.

Not sure if mine has the cdv delete or whether it would help.

I’ve had a 3,0 and a 2.5. The 3.0 litre shifted similarly but the 2.5 was smooth.

Would a clutch stop be of benefit ?
BMW E85 Z4M
BMW E85 Z4 2.5
Gone Z4 E85 3.0

ga41

kangaroo hop

Post by ga41 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:28 am

I do also have a clutch stop almost since i first got the car in 2009! It may also help a bit but cant tell for sure, it's been so long
-- http://www.freerice.com/ For each answer you get right, they will donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program --

3gGT01

kangaroo hop

Post by 3gGT01 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:04 pm

Thanks guys! I don't see a date stamp, but figured this was a very old thread. Might be able to turn on the date stamp.

I wasn't quite sure what a clutch stop was, but goggle for the Z4MC and it popped up. I haven't checked the condition of the current clutch stop, but by now it should need replacing anyways. Any particular clutch stop that you recommend? I see some adjustable ones, but weren't for my model. I don't know that this would help, but who knows...cheaper than replacing the flywheel/clutch assembly.

I have a lift and do all my own work. Just completed changing every fluid in the M, including block antifreeze drain (messy). I have to say the transmission fluid was the dirties of all fluids. I wanted a baseline since I didn't know when or if the fluids had ever been changed. Will let my wife drive it and see what she thinks, but I would have say shifting gears seems smoother now, not sure about the bunny hop. So far I think dumping the clutch quickly helps with the bunny hop.

Thanks for the feedback and let me know on your favorite clutch stop.

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

kangaroo hop

Post by inkey$ » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:09 pm

This is the clutch stop I have on my 3.0.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254974452955 ... R6T737viYQ
Also have the CDV removed and the whole experience is night and day different.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

kangaroo hop

Post by MikeyH » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:34 pm

Yes, even my lowly 2.2 does this, after a few goes it now gets more revs. :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

3gGT01

kangaroo hop

Post by 3gGT01 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:22 pm

inkey$ wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:09 pm This is the clutch stop I have on my 3.0.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254974452955 ... R6T737viYQ
🆗, I see what it looks like now. The clutch reach on my M is pretty far and this might help as you wouldn't feel like you have to do all that travel to engage/disengage the clutch and my wife isn't that tall.

So far the clutch stops in the U.S.A. are just replacements for the OEM stop. I did see another thread where the guy just used a bolt/nut to make one.

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

kangaroo hop

Post by inkey$ » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:32 pm

Yep. Easy enough to construct something that could work and raise your clutch stop more. Some people have stacked up felt pads and stuck them to the original clutch stop plastic.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0