Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Introduction to *MY* Z4MC

"M" Specific discussion
GumbyOTM

Post by GumbyOTM » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:08 pm

z4paint.jpg
z4paint.jpg (192.43 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
Greetings from the land of Teslas! (No really, I live 13 miles from the Tesla Factory). Needless to say electric cars are EVERYWHERE here and for the last six years I have driven a plug in hybrid myself. Last year I decided I needed to really learn how to drive a manual because it was something I always wanted to do and I figured with each passing year the chance to do was lessening so after some research I would up purchasing a …2000 Z3 2.8 Roadster. I really enjoyed that car, learning how to properly drive with the top down all summer…it really is the perfect car for enjoying the many back roads of this area and I am sure I am preaching to the choir on this forum. However I soon found myself wanting something…more. I found out about the S54 engine and seriously began obsessing after it and while Z3s with the engine are relatively rare (and expensive). I then found out about the Z4 and in particular the M Coupe (which I had never seen), but some research (that SavageGeese video really sealed the deal for me) so I decided that was the one.

Only where to find one? Searching through Z4Mcoupebuyersguide.com I found a listing reasonably close to me (actually, this one: http://www.z4mcoupebuyersguide.com/list ... ngID=24874 ) It was a little higher mileage than most on the market and the price reflected it. However the CarFAX showed it was well serviced and turns out one owner (leased then bought) even if it showed a minor accident as well. I bought a one way ticked to SoCal over Thanksgiving weekend to check out, fell in love with it and drove it back home about 400 miles getting to know the car.

The market being what it is I actually sold the hybrid almost for what I paid for it and the Z3 for what I paid to a good friend where it will be well loved, so the M Coupe is my daily and it left me with a budget for mods (*ahem*) maintenance. I am not a high mileage driver in any case….my commute is minimal and the car can be a canyon carver but unlikely to see much if any track duty. I took it to a well known shop around here for a post purchase inspection and oil change, who agreed it was a relatively clean car but at the mileage it had some refreshes and maintenance to do, as I would have expected. First thing was a Valve Adjustment and spark plug replacement which was definitely needed…unfortunately they didn’t replace things properly and introduced a pretty major oil leak. Disappointing given their reputation (and price). I did some shopping around and found another local shop which was not only priced better but had exceptional customer service https://racefactoryshop.com/ When I got there I was first a little surprised but how young these guys appeared, but then they had three s54 builds on the premises and they were just gushing over these machines, and I knew I had come to the right place.

So far since purchasing the car I’ve:

Tinted Rear and Quarter Glass
Stubby Antenna
Valve Adjustment
Spark Plugs Replaced
Ceramic Coating and Paint Correction
Vanos Service
Bilstein B6 Performance Struts all around WITH H&R Sport Springs (Lowered)
12MM Spacers all around
Flex Disc Replacement
Engine Mount Replacement
Tie Rod Replacement
Front Brake Discs Replaced
Brake Pads Replaced

As I was leaving the shop the owner asked with a grin what I was planning on doing to the car next. I told him not to tempt me too much. I am thinking it’s likely to be Rod Bearing although every indication I’ve had so far is that they are fine for now, so I’m tempted to throw that budget towards into that Apex Wheels Group Buy.

This weekend was a beautiful clear day so I decided to drive up to the Lick Observatory on Mount Hamilton, which is a famous drive around here. This was actually my first time and although beautiful it’s hard to recommend as the roads are very narrow and popular with cyclists, plus not really anything between you and going down the mountainside. The majority of the drive is in second and maybe third gear (for anyone commenting on 2nd being useless in the M Coupe, I’d now argue you just need to find the correct road and application for it). Totally worth it when I got up there, as you can actually see both San Jose, San Francisco and Oakland from this vantage point (ie, the whole of the greater Bay Area). I tried to get this into my shot of the car.
z4lick_sm.jpg
z4lick_sm.jpg (184.67 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
I have literally read every post on this forum (among others) in my enthusiasm for this car. All in all looking forward to enjoying this M Coupe for many years to come.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:39 pm

Hi and nice write up. Jealous of your location.
Can't help but smile at you Americans thinking 400 miles is 'reasonably close'... :lol: :lol:

If I drove 400 miles in any direction, I would have drowned a good while ago. :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:57 pm

Welcome to the forum with your lovely MC. :thumbsup:

I enjoyed your story, especially the bit about getting used to a manual gearbox! I'm also a bit jealous that you don't need a front license plate - it looks much cleaner without one.

I don't think it is possible to diagnose worn rod bearing shells short of stripping the bottom end - their condition probably depends on how the car has been treated by previous owners. My car had 7 previous keepers when I bought it so I had them replaced at 78K miles for peace of mind and was glad I did! Then I moved on to buying wheels and tyres and Aero sill covers. :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

GumbyOTM

Post by GumbyOTM » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:34 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:57 pm Welcome to the forum with your lovely MC. :thumbsup:

I enjoyed your story, especially the bit about getting used to a manual gearbox! I'm also a bit jealous that you don't need a front license plate - it looks much cleaner without one.

I don't think it is possible to diagnose worn rod bearing shells short of stripping the bottom end - their condition probably depends on how the car has been treated by previous owners. My car had 7 previous keepers when I bought it so I had them replaced at 78K miles for peace of mind and was glad I did! Then I moved on to buying wheels and tyres and Aero sill covers. :lol:
The car didn't come with a front plate, I am pretty sure I need one but need to go to the DMV to sort out.

I'd send the oil out to be analyzed but with two oil changes in two months it's not going to reveal much information yet. I've heard conflicting reports on when and if to change the rod bearings on the last S54s and it will probably happen soon. Although being a SoCal car with a single caretaker ("older female from the Honda dealership I purchased from) who definitely doesn't fit the profile of someone who did any sort of track work but kept up the maintenance is good for piece of mind. Or it makes the choice of rod bearings or wheels more complicated at the moment....

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:45 pm

GumbyOTM wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:34 pm The car didn't come with a front plate, I am pretty sure I need one but need to go to the DMV to sort out.

I'd send the oil out to be analyzed but with two oil changes in two months it's not going to reveal much information yet. I've heard conflicting reports on when and if to change the rod bearings on the last S54s and it will probably happen soon. Although being a SoCal car with a single caretaker ("older female from the Honda dealership I purchased from) who definitely doesn't fit the profile of someone who did any sort of track work but kept up the maintenance is good for piece of mind. Or it makes the choice of rod bearings or wheels more complicated at the moment....
Couldn't you just forget to go to the DMV? :lol:

A car that has had just one previous keeper with that profile sounds ideal for the longevity of the bearing shells, and APEX do make some stunning wheels - tough call!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Sean Woods

Post by Sean Woods » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:31 pm

GumbyOTM,
Hey there, sorry for the late response. (living on the other side of the planet makes it a bit challenging!)
Nice story and am very happy for you! :thumbsup:
Treat her well and she will put a smile on your face for years to come!
I fell in love with the Z4 when BMW showed it off to the world 2 decades ago.
I was still a student at the time and never dreamed that one day I would own my dream car.
Here I am, and she is mine! :sweetheart:
Only purchased her last July.
I love my car so, so very much.
I am so thrilled to be a part of the club and hope we all have many more years of awesome Z4 stories, memories and experiences to share!
Have a great day guys! :driving:
Attachments
DSC_8237.jpg
DSC_8237.jpg (103.56 KiB) Viewed 962 times
My car: 2009 Z4 2.5i E85
Color: Sapphire Black Pearl
Her name: Vanessa

XMetal

Post by XMetal » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:27 pm

GumbyOTM wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:34 pm The car didn't come with a front plate, I am pretty sure I need one but need to go to the DMV to sort out.

Congrats on the new car! There's one less M Coupe in So. Cal now 8)

How many miles on the car? Just curious what you're expecting to see out of oil analysis at this point if you're nearing 100k miles? At high mileage, do you think having a low lead count is still a good thing given no prior trend readings to base off (do you still have enough lead surfaces to "rub off" for it to show up on your oil analysis)? Not trying to promote any fear mongering, but always good to have more info in order to make an informed decision. Have a look at a thread that I've started on oil analysis and rod bearing changes and see if it's about time to bite the bullet => https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread ... l+analysis

Mr Tidy wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:45 pm A car that has had just one previous keeper with that profile sounds ideal for the longevity of the bearing shells, and APEX do make some stunning wheels - tough call!
That doesn't always guarantee bearing shells longevity. I've owned my car since 7500 miles in sunny So. Cal weather. Car has always been well cared for and doesn't see high rpm until it is properly up to operating temp. Never saw a track. Been my semi-daily and canyon run car the entire time that's been with me. You can judge for yourself if changing out my bearing shells at ~55k miles was a proper call from my link above?

Simon 3.2M

Post by Simon 3.2M » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:01 pm

Apex wheels - I’ll just leave this with you 😊
8F25B6DB-1B68-42B0-8E8E-87D7BE576A84.jpeg
8F25B6DB-1B68-42B0-8E8E-87D7BE576A84.jpeg (304.29 KiB) Viewed 919 times
7D8570BC-D64C-4E5F-B285-5C8CC74CBFCA.jpeg
7D8570BC-D64C-4E5F-B285-5C8CC74CBFCA.jpeg (176.63 KiB) Viewed 919 times
Sepang Coupe
Imola Roadster - For sale
Interlagos Coupe - For sale

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Titan Silver 3.0 Roadster
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Silver Grey 3.0si Roadster
Maldives Blue 2.5
Sterling Silver 3.0 - twice

GumbyOTM

Post by GumbyOTM » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:27 pm

After thinking about it I scheduled my rod bearings to be replaced in a few weeks. Figured I'd be dumb to take care of all of the non-obvious sttuff on the car, and then ignore the potential time bomb. I'll post what the bearings looked like when the job is done..

XMetal wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:27 pm

Congrats on the new car! There's one less M Coupe in So. Cal now 8)

How many miles on the car? Just curious what you're expecting to see out of oil analysis at this point if you're nearing 100k miles? At high mileage, do you think having a low lead count is still a good thing given no prior trend readings to base off (do you still have enough lead surfaces to "rub off" for it to show up on your oil analysis)? Not trying to promote any fear mongering, but always good to have more info in order to make an informed decision. Have a look at a thread that I've started on oil analysis and rod bearing changes and see if it's about time to bite the bullet => https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread ... l+analysis

Mr Tidy wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:45 pm A car that has had just one previous keeper with that profile sounds ideal for the longevity of the bearing shells, and APEX do make some stunning wheels - tough call!
That doesn't always guarantee bearing shells longevity. I've owned my car since 7500 miles in sunny So. Cal weather. Car has always been well cared for and doesn't see high rpm until it is properly up to operating temp. Never saw a track. Been my semi-daily and canyon run car the entire time that's been with me. You can judge for yourself if changing out my bearing shells at ~55k miles was a proper call from my link above?
After thinking about it I scheduled my rod bearings to be replaced in a few weeks.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:57 pm

GumbyOTM wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:27 pm Mr Tidy wrote: ↑Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:45 pm
A car that has had just one previous keeper with that profile sounds ideal for the longevity of the bearing shells, and APEX do make some stunning wheels - tough call!
After thinking about it I scheduled my rod bearings to be replaced in a few weeks.
XMetal has a point, and looking at his shells it was probably time to get them changed.

I spent a while trying to decide whether to get mine replaced but then realised I'd only need to do it once in my ownership so why not have some peace of mind?

Mine looked like this at 76K miles.
Bearing Shells 260820.jpeg
Bearing Shells 260820.jpeg (403.48 KiB) Viewed 786 times
Probably a good call there GumbyOTM.
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

XMetal

Post by XMetal » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:47 am

Mr Tidy, good call on the shell replacement! Those looked like they had done their job and past their service life! Now, you can just enjoy the car without worries for at least another 80k.

Vijay

Post by Vijay » Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:59 pm

Welcome on-board. Great car, great location!
That SavageGeese video is really good....
2007 Z4 3.0Si Coupe, Carbon Black, 53K on clock & counting...
Mineral White M240i

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:29 pm

XMetal wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:47 am Mr Tidy, good call on the shell replacement! Those looked like they had done their job and past their service life! Now, you can just enjoy the car without worries for at least another 80k.
Yes, I was glad I had them replaced when I saw the old ones! The old engine mounts were also well past their best.
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

GumbyOTM

Post by GumbyOTM » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:09 pm

So as I posted above, after some thought I decided to replace the Rod Bearings. Didn't make sense for me to refresh everything I had already done, and have the uncertainty of blowing up my engine looming over me. Although a one owner car with an excellent service history low likelihood of track use, the car has 97K miles. Actually after I decided to replace them, I probably got a little paranoid driving the car until I had the job done:
IMG_1358.jpg
IMG_1358.jpg (180.68 KiB) Viewed 522 times
As you can see some slight wear on some the bearings, but nothing crazy. Probably the most wear on the last bearing, the mechanic mused I'd probably start seeing the elevated amount of copper in the next test which would have prompted me to do the swap anyway. Not quite a ticking time bomb, but something that would need to be addressed eventually.

I'm glad I did so for the peace of mind, again after refreshing most of the major things on this beauty. This will be my daily driver for awhile and I can see myself keeping this car forever. Although as a relatively rare car, I see myself as much the current caretaker of this car as opposed to the owner. Time to enjoy this baby now....

...until I start thinking about Mods again :evil:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:33 pm

They looked pretty good to be fair, but at least you know you'll probably never need to get them done again!
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black