Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof motor relocate in Staffordshire - STUCK!

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
thomobigands

Post by thomobigands » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:04 pm

I had one last go in the dark and rain.....

Its out.

Whether I have broken the roof in the process we will worry about tomorrow when I put everything back and test it. Thats tomorrows problem.

In the end - I stood at the passenger open door facing forwards and reached my right hand back and in behind the passenger seat. I had grips clamped on to the edge of the lower case (nearest the boot) and pulled up really hard. A few cracks later and I was able to pull it through the boot. I had snapped the casing mount and the cable tie.

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I would have given up otherwise.

I also came very close to coming up to Lincoln tomorrow morning and ditching work!!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:53 pm

Well done!
Hopefully all good now.
Once it’s in the boot stand it upright and fill to spill with jack oil, otherwise the extra angle may uncover an inlet port and it will suck air.
I am free tomorrow so I’ll PM you my number in case you need any other support.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

thomobigands

Post by thomobigands » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:10 pm

All sorted finally!!

Needed to add more oil to the system given the new location - something I wasnt aware of so thanks to enuff_zed, for that heads up or I would have properly stressed when the roof went down ok but then refused to close again until I added more oil.

Thanks to all for your help.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:14 pm

thomobigands wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:10 pm All sorted finally!!

Needed to add more oil to the system given the new location - something I wasnt aware of so thanks to enuff_zed, for that heads up or I would have properly stressed when the roof went down ok but then refused to close again until I added more oil.

Thanks to all for your help.
Well done for persevering.
Permission to feel smug.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:42 pm

Good work fella!!!

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

N4LLY

Post by N4LLY » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:34 pm

Most excellent effort ! :thumbsup:

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

thomobigands

Post by thomobigands » Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:46 pm

Update on this if anyone wants entertaining...

So the roof has been working fine. Have used it lots.
Then today it failed to come up. Had a look and saw that the hydraulic reservoir was on minimum. Oh dear - a leak?
So I topped it up again just to see. Roof went down and back up no problem although didnt sound the best. Checked - hydraulic fluid low again. Damn.

Got a torch and looked through the rear window and into the well where the motor used to sit and I see a nice deep pool of hydraulic fluid. Perhaps I nicked a line moving the motor after all. it does explain the slight sloshing sound I have been hearing from the cabin!

Have managed to extract the leaking fluid. I guess the next challenge will be a full roof remove to try and get to the lines to fix them. Is this a DIY task or should I cut my losses and stomach a repair bill? The car is a daily driver which is frustrating.

Kind of wish I had not bothered to move the motor now and just taken my chances with the drain valve.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:02 pm

thomobigands wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:46 pm Update on this if anyone wants entertaining...

So the roof has been working fine. Have used it lots.
Then today it failed to come up. Had a look and saw that the hydraulic reservoir was on minimum. Oh dear - a leak?
So I topped it up again just to see. Roof went down and back up no problem although didnt sound the best. Checked - hydraulic fluid low again. Damn.

Got a torch and looked through the rear window and into the well where the motor used to sit and I see a nice deep pool of hydraulic fluid. Perhaps I nicked a line moving the motor after all. it does explain the slight sloshing sound I have been hearing from the cabin!

Have managed to extract the leaking fluid. I guess the next challenge will be a full roof remove to try and get to the lines to fix them. Is this a DIY task or should I cut my losses and stomach a repair bill? The car is a daily driver which is frustrating.

Kind of wish I had not bothered to move the motor now and just taken my chances with the drain valve.
Don't panic!
I don't believe this is a full roof remove and possibly quite simple now the motor is moved.
In all likelihood it is the lower hose on the left ram, which has a 90 degree bend near its end and will have been sitting in the water quietly corroding away.
I have a pipe if you need it. Possibly best to change them both while you're in there.
Best bet is to talk to Alan (Number5) who is an expert at accessing these and can offer advice, or sort it for you if you're happy to drive to Bristol. He should see this referral, but I'll message him a heads up as well.

thomobigands

Post by thomobigands » Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:06 pm

Have you reached this conclusion based on my description of the fluid being dumped into the motor housing well?

Might have to take the plunge and drive down to Bristol if its not something I can tackle myself in a day or less!

Will wait and see what Alan says but thanks for the response.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:08 pm

thomobigands wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:06 pm Have you reached this conclusion based on my description of the fluid being dumped into the motor housing well?

Might have to take the plunge and drive down to Bristol if its not something I can tackle myself in a day or less!

Will wait and see what Alan says but thanks for the response.
Yes, it's a common weak point.
Alan has replied to me so should be along shortly. :thumbsup:
I suspect Alan will have the pipes as well.

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:16 pm

It’s the most common point for leaks The water makes the pipe weak through corrosion and then all the tugging and pulling to free the motor finishes it off.

I have replacement hoses here and can sort it in a morning, by getting the ram out and accessible to swap out the hoses.

Message me if you want to discuss further.

Alan
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

apexcriterion12

Post by apexcriterion12 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:38 pm

Hi Alan, I am I Devon and potentially looking at a motor move, could you please PM me your number. thanks

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:59 pm

Number5, there you go, by referencing him he should find this more easily. :thumbsup:

apexcriterion12

Post by apexcriterion12 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:00 pm

ideal, thanks

thomobigands

Post by thomobigands » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:13 pm

I highly recommend Number5. Went down to see him last Saturday and he had my roof fixed in no time.