Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

OE iDrive reversing camera

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:36 pm

Roger that. The shop that quoted the install has a massively good reputation, but it doesn’t seem they’ve done an e89 before. I’m hopeful your video will improve their approach. For example, they’ve mentioned installing the module behind the glove compartment. And running the camera loom along the convertible top loom. If you’ve got better ideas, I’m all ears. Thanks, Dave.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:57 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:21 pm
Marcoose wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:24 pm Dave, mate, what’s the word on your install video ? Thanks.
The photo was only a teaser.
Similar, in a way, to this photo of a nice genuine boot liner that i bought recently for peanuts... :rofl:
These are borderline mythical!! Where did you get it? :o :driving:

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:24 am

Marcoose wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:53 am I went to a stereo, alarm, etc, shop. They quoted US$1700 for parts and labour. (Nothing is cheap is San Francisco.) That’s the upper limit. It could be less they said.

They said the camera loom needs to run with the roof loom. And the module needs to go behind the glove compartment. That all other things require hours of labour.

Dave’s video can’t get ready soon enough.
I am glad I am not in the U.S. Prices for car repairs of any type seems ridiculously high and not just in San Francisco. Looking at the prices the mechanic, wizard I think they call him in the YouTuber Hoovies Garage videos charges it seems it’s cheaper to go to a doctor then get your car repaired. And he’s in the middle of nowhere, Arkansas, I think. Shouldn’t think this type of job should cost more than $500!
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:57 am

Silverstar wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:24 am I am glad I am not in the U.S. Prices for car repairs of any type seems ridiculously high and not just in San Francisco. Looking at the prices the mechanic, wizard I think they call him in the YouTuber Hoovies Garage videos charges it seems it’s cheaper to go to a doctor then get your car repaired. And he’s in the middle of nowhere, Arkansas, I think. Shouldn’t think this type of job should cost more than $500!
I can’t speak for Arkansas. Here in Fog City the going ‘BMW’ indy rate is about US$150/hr. Higher at the dealer. IIRC, they quoted up to 10 hours of work, and the rest for parts. It’s the high end, they said. Better say something high upfront and deliver good news at the end instead of the ole bait and switch.

That said, last year it was cheaper to buy a spare steering wheel, post mine to Control Customs in Devon, get a bespoke work, return, instead of getting similar work done here Silicon Valley. Yep, prices here are insanely high. There are loads of folk here with insane disposable income. And this kind of job is purely for joy. It’s supply meeting demand, I reckon.

Hopefully Dave has a tip or two to make the job easier.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

Christopher72

Post by Christopher72 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:04 am

Marcoose wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:57 am Hopefully Dave has a tip or two to make the job easier.
Dave needs a https://www.buymeacoffee.com/ :coffee: account so that we can caffeinate him up for video requests.

Or another method....not onlyfans... who knows what content he'd be pressured to develop there.... :innocent:
Christopher
2011 E89 Sdrive35i - Deep Sea Blue, Beige Kansas Leather
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:00 am

OK so while I'm sat here at 06:45 drinking coffee and eating my toast ill quickly answer a few bits.....

Well there is a guy over on M3post that retrofitted all OE equipment for the reversing camera to his M3 E92. Now it contains loads of info on how he did it, but mainly I used the coding info. Now his hardware should also work in our E89's as well, so this could be what the garage has quoted for.....
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1720680

All I did was fit the Aliexpress module instead into the headunits loom for power and canbus. Although I don't have the parking lines and in-camera view rear sensor indications (full car pictorial view with front and rear sensors works perfectly though) I don't really use these anyway.

I hope that is of help :thumbsup:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:03 am

Deepseaskateboard wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:57 pm
AnubisZed wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:21 pm
Marcoose wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:24 pm Dave, mate, what’s the word on your install video ? Thanks.
The photo was only a teaser.
Similar, in a way, to this photo of a nice genuine boot liner that i bought recently for peanuts... :rofl:
These are borderline mythical!! Where did you get it? :o :driving:
A guy over on one of the Facebook groups had sold his 35is and had this spare, so put it up for £20. As i was thinking of buying one of the cpoy ones for £60 anyway i snapped his hand off.
Gave it a clean with tyre shine and it looked brand new, to be fair it needs another clean now again :thumbsup:
Dave

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:11 am

Christopher72 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:04 am
Marcoose wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:57 am Hopefully Dave has a tip or two to make the job easier.
Dave needs a https://www.buymeacoffee.com/ :coffee: account so that we can caffeinate him up for video requests.

Or another method....not onlyfans... who knows what content he'd be pressured to develop there.... :innocent:
:rofl: Only Fans :oops: :?

I do it for the love of the car.
To be honest, I'm running out of ideas I can afford to produce. I did a lot back in September as I had a week to myself and knew I could get them all done. I'd bought all the parts over the previous year (retrofitting cruise helps to pay for it) but I am running out of ideas. Big jobs like the Powerfold mirrors and heated steering wheel I honestly didn't think I could get done as the parts aren't cheap and I have to justify them, but I managed it with some real good bargains (you just have to wait for them to pop up).
But some bits are just to expensive to justify on my daily runner. :thumbsup:
Dave

Christopher72

Post by Christopher72 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:07 am

So with the OE Camera setup and Mr 12Volt, do they conflict?
Christopher
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:46 am

Christopher72 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:07 am So with the OE Camera setup and Mr 12Volt, do they conflict?
No, you simply set it up for original camera in the settings of Mr12volt and it switches automatically to the OE screen. Then you see the vertical car, instead of the horizontal one, along with the camera image, of course this would only work for the rear camera, if you had a front camera as well then this mod wouldn't be worth it as you'd loose that front inage..
Talking of the image, in the Mr12volt screen it stretches it fully across the screen, whereas in the OE screen it'll keep the bullseye view. Now this is a bit odd at first but you soon get used to it :thumbsup:
Dave

Christopher72

Post by Christopher72 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:29 pm

I'm waiting on Mr12volt shipping -- but yep, a front camera is still in the plan. My challenge is time -- the wife wanting me to finish tiling the shower, replacing the tie rods on the Honda Odyssey, resealing my 150 gallon marine aquarium that decided to leak 20 gallons on Saturday, or having fun tearing bumpers and interior off the Z4 to play with new electronics. (Mr12volt, cameras, PDC)... can't play with the Z4 without getting side-eye.

Found a decent GreenYi AHD720P/CVTS camera that I'm hoping works welll https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071SCYPJM or https://www.aliexpress.us/item/22558008 ... cbfcf79096

Christopher

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:36 pm

Christopher72 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:29 pm ..... My challenge is time -- the wife wanting me to finish tiling the shower, replacing the tie rods on the Honda Odyssey, resealing my 150 gallon marine aquarium that decided to leak 20 gallons on Saturday, or having fun tearing bumpers and interior off the Z4 to play with new electronics. (Mr12volt, cameras, PDC)... can't play with the Z4 without getting side-eye......
Ahh, now this is why I did a load of retrofitting last September while my wife was away for a couple of weeks, as I'm currently in the middle of completely replacing our kitchen/dinner, and by that I mean back to bare brickwork, walls down, new walls and then onto new plaster and refitting :headbang: the things I agree to, but as they say 'Happy wife, happy life!' :thumbsup:
Dave

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:25 pm

Christopher, please check if you’ve received a PM or two. Thanks. Marc.