Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Ctek/Bmw Charger

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Ctek/Bmw Charger

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:02 pm

Ed Doe wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:41 pm just for my understanding, why are people connecting to these terminals, rather than the battery terminals?
You are right of course on an E85.
However sometimes it comes down to something as simple as the distance to a plug socket and whether the car is nose in or tail in.
In addition, running a lead into the engine bay and then locking the car up is slightly easier than into the boot, where there's no obvious gap for a lead to come through.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Ed Doe

Ctek/Bmw Charger

Post by Ed Doe » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:48 pm

Thanks for the reply - I was wondering if there was something I was doing wrong - for me i've found it fine running either through the boot, or one of the doors has worked ok!
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

Johnbmwz4

Ctek/Bmw Charger

Post by Johnbmwz4 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:41 pm

I thought you had to use the terminals in the engine bay on E89s due to the BMS module. Charging straight to the battery by passes the BMS module.
BMW E89 3.5i M Sport manual, loving it….
Audi S5 Cab, Great car but not special enough….
BMW E89 3.5i DCT, Havana Brown, should never have sold it…..
BMW E85 3.0 Auto, sadly missed (twice)

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Ctek/Bmw Charger

Post by B21 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:29 pm

Ed Doe wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:48 pm Thanks for the reply - I was wondering if there was something I was doing wrong - for me i've found it fine running either through the boot, or one of the doors has worked ok!
The E89 has IBS..intelligent battery sensor on the battery terminal, part of a pretty advanced regenerative battery ‘ alternator system that uses accurate battery charge state for a myriad of different ECUs across the car…

If you charge the battery via its terminals you confuse the charging logic calculations..so the engine bay terminals are the only approved method of charging..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Ed Doe

Ctek/Bmw Charger

Post by Ed Doe » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:54 pm

There we go, knew there was method to the madness! Equally pleased to hear it doesn't apply to my old nail too, as I've been charging it on the battery..!
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Ctek/Bmw Charger

Post by B21 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:16 am

Ed Doe wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:54 pm There we go, knew there was method to the madness! Equally pleased to hear it doesn't apply to my old nail too, as I've been charging it on the battery..!

I’m just staggered at how complex these cars are..I thought things went high tech when we got capacitor discharge ignition…

Trying to do mods on these cars gets TFD cause so many bits are micro processor controlled and then there are multiple data busses varying signals everywhere..and there’s no documentation :headbang:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Ctek/Bmw Charger

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:49 am

Johnbmwz4 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:41 pm I thought you had to use the terminals in the engine bay on E89s due to the BMS module. Charging straight to the battery by passes the BMS module.
You do, but the OP showed photos of his E85 engine bay so I replied in that vein
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: