Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Oil leak nearside of engine

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Dean'o

Post by Dean'o » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:01 pm

Hi all, have noticed nearside of engine is covered in oil. Am thinking two things, oil seals on vacuum pump or oil filter housing gasket. If vacuum pump is it inlet manifold off. :cry:
Any info much appreciated as always

Dean'o

Post by Dean'o » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:03 pm

2.2 engine on a 2003 just to help :D

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:11 pm

Dean'o wrote: ↑Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:01 pm Hi all, have noticed nearside of engine is covered in oil. Am thinking two things, oil seals on vacuum pump or oil filter housing gasket. If vacuum pump is it inlet manifold off. :cry:
On a 2003 2.2 M54 on the nearside it's almost certainly the o.f.h gasket. At possibly 20 years old it will have turned hard and brittle leaking oil down the side of the block. Shine a torch in the gap between the oil filter cap and block and you will probably be able to see the source. When you say vacuum pump do you mean the C.C.V ? If original it also will have become brittle and well past its best. It can all be replaced without removing the inlet manifold but much easier with the manifold removed as I did :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:26 pm

If you clean it all off and see where it starts to re-appear you might be able to work out which of those it is.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:28 pm

patriot66 wrote: ↑Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:11 pm
Dean'o wrote: ↑Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:01 pm Hi all, have noticed nearside of engine is covered in oil. Am thinking two things, oil seals on vacuum pump or oil filter housing gasket. If vacuum pump is it inlet manifold off. :cry:
On a 2003 2.2 M54 on the nearside it's almost certainly the o.f.h gasket. At possibly 20 years old it will have turned hard and brittle leaking oil down the side of the block. Shine a torch in the gap between the oil filter cap and block and you will probably be able to see the source. When you say vacuum pump do you mean the C.C.V ? If original it also will have become brittle and well past its best. It can all be replaced without removing the inlet manifold but much easier with the manifold removed as I did :thumbsup:
100% agree with this diagnosis
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Dean'o

Post by Dean'o » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:29 pm

Thanks for info, don't these engines have a vacuum pump for the brakes that have two oil seals?. My CCV is ok I did the test of taking oil filler cap while engine running and not much vacuum there.

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:56 pm

Dean'o wrote: ↑Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:29 pm Thanks for info, don't these engines have a vacuum pump for the brakes that have two oil seals?. My CCV is ok I did the test of taking oil filler cap while engine running and not much vacuum there.
N52 does :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Dean'o

Post by Dean'o » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:11 pm

Bit of a novice on these cars but learning. Just seen a video on o f h and yes I would definitely say you are right my leak is coming from there. πŸ‘πŸ‘

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:27 pm

Dean'o wrote: ↑Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:11 pm Bit of a novice on these cars but learning. Just seen a video on o f h and yes I would definitely say you are right my leak is coming from there. πŸ‘πŸ‘
:thumbsup: Very common. Not a difficult job but the o.f.h is also part of the alternator mounting bracket so you have to remove the alternator and belt as part of the job :roll:

Dean'o

Post by Dean'o » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:15 am

πŸ‘πŸ˜

raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:35 am

If you decide to do this job, plenty of videos to show how, watch the tops of the wings as you will be leaning over them quite a bit. Either wear an overhaul that button on the inside or buy a wing protector mat.

mattimus

Post by mattimus » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:37 am

raymond.harper wrote: ↑Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:35 am If you decide to do this job, plenty of videos to show how, watch the tops of the wings as you will be leaning over them quite a bit. Either wear an overhaul that button on the inside or buy a wing protector mat.
What a cracking tip to save a load of unnecessary stress :thumbsup:

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:16 am

mattimus wrote: ↑Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:37 am
raymond.harper wrote: ↑Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:35 am If you decide to do this job, plenty of videos to show how, watch the tops of the wings as you will be leaning over them quite a bit. Either wear an overhaul that button on the inside or buy a wing protector mat.
What a cracking tip to save a load of unnecessary stress :thumbsup:
To add to what Raymond says, if doing any prolonged engine bay work I always make sure the car is clean so you're not going to rub any grit into the paintwork. I usually wear an old sweatshirt and tracky bottoms, no zips or fasteners. However, the best tip I have is to raise the front of the car up on axle stands or ramps. It saves a lot of stretching and straining and leaning over against the wings. Your back will thank you for it too :D Also with the car raised it's a 2 min job to remove the undertray for extra access from below if required :thumbsup:

Dean'o

Post by Dean'o » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:39 pm

All advice gratefully appreciated as always, ordered gasket so hoping to get done this weekend. Off to Wales at Easter so want it ok for them.

raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:28 pm

Good luck. This is a video of the 2.5 but there are many similarities with the 2.2 Ignore the middle section. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I95LurFYbtg&t=729s