Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

35is Battery Replace

tiglon

35is Battery Replace

Post by tiglon » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:55 pm

I've suspected I need a new battery for a while, a couple of times when the car has gone in for work they've said the battery was low and have put it on to charge, and it's been on trickle charger for the past couple of months but never gets up to 80%.

On Friday after updating the map with MHD, the warning late came on for hill start not working - I'm guessing it's due to the battery, is that something that will clear once I change the battery, or will I need a software update?

New Bosch battery is on its way (only £140 from batterygroup.co.uk as opposed to £270 from Eurocarparts etc, for identical battery!) and is the same spec as the original BMW labelled battery, 760a 70ah. Am I right in thinking that it will only need registering, which I can do with MHD, and not coding?
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

35is Battery Replace

Post by B21 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:38 pm

Hill start is a DCS function releasing the normal brakes not parking brake…once a battery is low all sorts of s**t can happen..

MHD doesn’t do registering…you’ll need a Protool, Carly type product or a bespoke OBD programmer like Foxwell..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

tiglon

35is Battery Replace

Post by tiglon » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:41 pm

B21 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:38 pm Hill start is a DCS function releasing the normal brakes not parking brake…once a battery is low all sorts of s**t can happen..

MHD doesn’t do registering…you’ll need a Protool, Carly type product or a bespoke OBD programmer like Foxwell..
On the "codes" tab, under "reset adaptations" there's an option for registering the battery.
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

B21
Lifer
Lifer

35is Battery Replace

Post by B21 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:09 pm

tiglon wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:41 pm
B21 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:38 pm Hill start is a DCS function releasing the normal brakes not parking brake…once a battery is low all sorts of s**t can happen..

On the "codes" tab, under "reset adaptations" there's an option for registering the battery.
Well I just checked..you are right :thumbsup:

Must have added that in since I first looked..

MHD just gets keeping better ..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

tiglon

35is Battery Replace

Post by tiglon » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:15 pm

B21 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:09 pm
tiglon wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:41 pm

Well I just checked..you are right :thumbsup:

Must have added that in since I first looked..

MHD just gets keeping better ..
Yeah they've added a few things since I last checked. For N54 there's now antilag, switchable maps (I think just for different fuel types, rather than different stages or other settings, unfortunately) and a few other random bits I'd never heard of.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

35is Battery Replace

Post by flybobbie » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:38 am

I'm surprised the 35is doesn't have the 80AHr battery.

When i inquired about adding software for servotronic which i assume all 35is have as std. i was told needed to upgrade the alternator and battery to 80AHr.

I was looking to improve the steering feel.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

35is Battery Replace

Post by B21 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:44 pm

I can never work out the logic on the 70ah vs 80ah fitment..

My 35is had 70ah as standard..I did put an 80 ah in.

FWIW the E89 uses special current management logic to ensure the EPS always has enough power come what may..so battery capacity in this case is not directly relevant…unless your alternator fails..

Kevin

35is Battery Replace

Post by Kevin » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:56 pm

B21 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:44 pm I can never work out the logic on the 70ah vs 80ah fitment..
An 80Ah should deliver the power for a bit longer, but that wouldn't matter once the engine is running.
It might have a higher CCA, which could be what is being recommended, and it's just a coincidence that the Ah is higher?
I wouldn't have thought the extra electronics etc. would make any real difference to the power draw. A 6 might be harder
to crank than a 4 perhaps?

For comparison, my other car is a diesel, which has a higher Ah/CCA battery than the petrol equivalent (and it needs to be AGM since
it has stop-start)

B21
Lifer
Lifer

35is Battery Replace

Post by B21 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:49 pm

Kevin wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:56 pm
B21 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:44 pm I can never work out the logic on the 70ah vs 80ah fitment..
An 80Ah should deliver the power for a bit longer, but that wouldn't matter once the engine is running.
It might have a higher CCA, which could be what is being recommended, and it's just a coincidence that the Ah is higher?
I wouldn't have thought the extra electronics etc. would make any real difference to the power draw. A 6 might be harder
to crank than a 4 perhaps?

For comparison, my other car is a diesel, which has a higher Ah/CCA battery than the petrol equivalent (and it needs to be AGM since
it has stop-start)
I’ve looked at many VINs that have been decoded and failed to see the causal link between options and battery size..given the alternator is rated at 230 amps once the engine is running you’ve got 2.5 kwatts of juice..

The main pros for a bigger battery are longer time to allow car draining it’s electrics on standby, better chance of start in ultra low temps, more reserve capacity for regenerative braking..listen to sound system longer without engine running , plus extended use of blow by heating..

tiglon

35is Battery Replace

Post by tiglon » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:19 pm

FYI, the battery registration function on MHD hasn't worked for me. "Failed" every time. Maybe I should read the manual....

B21
Lifer
Lifer

35is Battery Replace

Post by B21 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:48 pm

tiglon wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:19 pm FYI, the battery registration function on MHD hasn't worked for me. "Failed" every time. Maybe I should read the manual....
It’s quite often the fact that these programming tools fail ..I couldn’t rest SWMBO F56 Mini brake pad reset with Bimmergeeks Protool..but the garages Snap On system could…

Saw a similar battery issue reset with Protool but Foxwell did it..

Heh ho

ISTA class tools are the best but not user friendly..

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

35is Battery Replace

Post by Pondrew » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:57 pm

Shoot me if you like for being dim.....but...if you have replaced a 'like for like' battery, why would it need registering?
Will it not recognise the battery as the 'old' battery, which is the same charging requirements?

Or am I missing something?
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

B21
Lifer
Lifer

35is Battery Replace

Post by B21 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:08 am

Pondrew wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:57 pm Shoot me if you like for being dim.....but...if you have replaced a 'like for like' battery, why would it need registering?
Will it not recognise the battery as the 'old' battery, which is the same charging requirements?

Or am I missing something?
You need to be shot…

The system learns over time what condition the battery is in..not what it’s current charge is but what is it ability to take and retain a charge..

It then uses these variables to determine charging from the alternator, how much to use regenerative braking, how and when to switch off other loads to protect the ability of battery to guarantee a cold start etc etc..

Registering a battery resets all those variables and the system then monitors, learns and adapts from a fresh baseline..

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

35is Battery Replace

Post by Pondrew » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:14 am

B21 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:08 am
The system learns over time what condition the battery is in..not what it’s current charge is but what is it ability to take and retain a charge..

It then uses these variables to determine charging from the alternator, how much to use regenerative braking, how and when to switch off other loads to protect the ability of battery to guarantee a cold start etc etc..

Registering a battery resets all those variables and the system then monitors, learns and adapts from a fresh baseline..
Yeah I knew that.....not!

Thanks Peter. I sort of remembered something to the effect but couldn't remember what.

PS hope your mince pies are doing OK. :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

B21
Lifer
Lifer

35is Battery Replace

Post by B21 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:17 am

Thnx not an unreasonable question actually…

Still struggling with reading n writing apologies for any typos..

Hopefully another 2-4 weeks should see further improvements…