Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Very , very tempted

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Very , very tempted

Post by Pondrew » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:24 pm

Saw this for sale on AT. Wow! This is what we had as a family car in my young childhood (not the exact one obvs). Makes me misty-eyed just seeing one!
I have been looking for a Celica ST TA22 for years but they were mostly scrapped or heavily modified.
Big money, but the rarity of an original example is justified IMHO. If only it had a Pye 8 track player and Cosmic wheels!
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... searchad=N
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

jock156

Very , very tempted

Post by jock156 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:31 pm

Absolute love these :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Very , very tempted

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:14 pm

I always liked them back in the day but never even drove one, although that does look like an excellent example - albeit at a cost!

The price of nostalgia seems to be my problem though. I had a couple of 2.8 Capris in the 80s and absolutely loved them. Then a few years ago my motor trader mate who kept telling me I ought to buy a classic had one and told me I ought to drive it. So I did, and was totally underwhelmed. :lol:

So I'm happy to leave the past in the past. I just couldn't make sense of spending as much to buy a Capri as my MC cost. :?

Maybe it's a bit different if you have the space and budget for both, but I don't!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Very , very tempted

Post by Pondrew » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:23 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:14 pm I always liked them back in the day but never even drove one, although that does look like an excellent example - albeit at a cost!

The price of nostalgia seems to be my problem though. I had a couple of 2.8 Capris in the 80s and absolutely loved them. Then a few years ago my motor trader mate who kept telling me I ought to buy a classic had one and told me I ought to drive it. So I did, and was totally underwhelmed. :lol:

So I'm happy to leave the past in the past. I just couldn't make sense of spending as much to buy a Capri as my MC cost. :?

Maybe it's a bit different if you have the space and budget for both, but I don't!
Exactly my problem Iain. It is pure nostalgia, nothing else. Those old cars will be just that; old, unreliable and frustrating.
If I was well off I would buy that Celica and stick it in a barn and look at it, just because. Unfortunately I am neither well off or the owner of a barn! :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Very , very tempted

Post by sars » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:43 pm

That's gorgeous, I can certainly understand the desire for these analogue type cars, would I rather have a TR6 or Fiat 124 spider, probably
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

pvr
Legend
Legend

Very , very tempted

Post by pvr » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:52 pm

I do love driving my '93 Golf though, even though not far and not frequent it is a very different experience. You get let out of junctions, people wave at you and there is no rush as there is no performance. Top down driving with the roof down in that car is nostalgic as I have always had Golfs from when I was 18.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

raymond.harper

Very , very tempted

Post by raymond.harper » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:55 pm

A lot of money and the driver's side wing doesn't match up very well. But if you must then have a look. Now this one looks like a schoolboy's dream from the 70s https://www.tc-v.com/used_car/toyota/ce ... 4/?isNew=1

Special Kay

Very , very tempted

Post by Special Kay » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:57 pm

I remember when I was a kid, my friends elderly father bought that car in shiny black, he always kept it clean, garaged, and it always gleamed with all the chrome. I remember my eldest brother who had just purchased Vw Mk1 Scirocco GLS looking down the street saying he wouldn't sell it to me. It must've been a great car, he never had any major repairs done apart from servicing, and he kept that car until eventually stopped driving. I later learned that his son traded the car in for a Peugeot 205 GTI. We still talk about this car, it holds alot of great childhood memories for my family and people that lived on my parents street.

Special Kay

Very , very tempted

Post by Special Kay » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:12 pm

pvr wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:52 pm I do love driving my '93 Golf though, even though not far and not frequent it is a very different experience. You get let out of junctions, people wave at you and there is no rush as there is no performance. Top down driving with the roof down in that car is nostalgic as I have always had Golfs from when I was 18.
I still love the mk1 golf. I think I must've had 5 mk1 gti's in a row, every drive for me was a pleasure. I don't think I've owned a car since that's given me so much enjoyment. Yes, they had their issues, namely the non existent brakes, but the handling and reliability was a very special experience. I never had the soft top version, I always liked the Rivage and Sportline editions, and almost bought one on many occasions. But, it's like what someone mentioned earlier, it would be something to look at and something to just enjoy the memories

smorris_12

Very , very tempted

Post by smorris_12 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:30 pm

Someone, somewhere used to have as their tagline: "Nostalgia ain't what it used to be."

That's a whole raft of cars that I think look smashing: Capri, Rover P6 & SD1, 635csi but I guarantee they'd be a let down after driving something modern.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Very , very tempted

Post by Chris_D » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:36 pm

smorris_12 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:30 pm but I guarantee they'd be a let down after driving something modern.
What a sweeping, presumptious generalisation.
:headbang:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

smorris_12

Very , very tempted

Post by smorris_12 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:57 pm

Objectively a modern car will be faster, safer, quieter and more feature laden than something from 40/50 years ago. Subjectively, well anything goes. YouTube is full of people deciding that the Morris Marina is an underrated gem or the Allegro is a valid commuter car.

Much as I'd love to own a pair of rose tinted specs, I can't find any in my prescription.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

IRD

Very , very tempted

Post by IRD » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:41 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:24 pm Saw this for sale on AT. Wow! This is what we had as a family car in my young childhood (not the exact one obvs). Makes me misty-eyed just seeing one!
I have been looking for a Celica ST TA22 for years but they were mostly scrapped or heavily modified.
Big money, but the rarity of an original example is justified IMHO. If only it had a Pye 8 track player and Cosmic wheels!
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... searchad=N
Most of the cars you have owned I have really liked. You have found
Had some excellent example of different marques. But this one doesn’t float my boat at all. An uncle used to have one in red and I wasn’t keen then. But it wouldn’t do for us all to like the same things would it? 😀