Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BST Airbag Error / .man file woes

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

BST Airbag Error / .man file woes

Post by inkey$ » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:08 pm

When I bought my car in January, all was fine until a few days into ownership when I got an airbag light appear. After scanning with my C110+ it turns out that the error was due to the Battery Safety Terminal (BST), usually triggered with a shunt or accident - something I don’t think my car has experienced. The BST is also secure with no movement.

SBSR: satellite B-pillar right - 98F Resistance, firing circuit, safety battery terminal (E85), or belt tensioner, rear right (E6x), too high

When buying the car, it had been undercover for a year and driven just a handful of miles. There was a small about of water in the boot which has not returned and I put down to condensation or being left out in the rain for a while without the cover - although all seals seem fine and intact.

I don’t suspect the code is to do with the belt tensioner or seat as its flagging the BST for E85 and not E60 models, and after scanning it with Autologic at my local indy, the error confirmed what my C110+ was telling me.

Options are to code out the airbag light for the BST (something done a lot when tracking cars), drilling a hole in the top of the BST and screwing it down, adding a resistor or replacing the entire back-to-front-ECU cable - these last few, not something I have a huge appetite for.

I swapped steering wheels a few days ago and unplugged the battery to remove the airbag. When I came to plug back in, the light cleared and didn't come back on for a couple of days. When it did return, my indy rescanned and confirmed it was the same error message.

Unfortunately he tried to code out the error but the .man file you need to deactivate that particular sensor wouldn’t save on the software (I think Autologic or equivalent). He’s investigating why its not saving, but suffice to say it didn't work on Friday and my airbag light remained.

Yesterday I decided to try the battery disconnect again to see if I could reseat the steering wheel buttons plug into the slip ring and get them working. The buttons still don't work, but when reattaching the battery - checking/reseating all BST related cables, and clearing all codes, the light has again disappeared and has been off now for 24 hours and a few startups.

I’m confused. If there’s a BST error then surely it should be triggered constantly right? Currently stumped as to what it could be and just waiting for the airbag light to again make itself known on my dash.

Any and all ideas gratefully received as it’s hyper-annoying!
Last edited by inkey$ on Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

BST Airbag Error woes

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:09 pm

OK, I'll start with a daft question perhaps. Is there something loose in there that is impacting the terminal? Is the battery fully secure?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

BST Airbag Error woes

Post by inkey$ » Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:17 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:09 pm OK, I'll start with a daft question perhaps. Is there something loose in there that is impacting the terminal? Is the battery fully secure?
I’ve checked it all and it seems pretty stable and secure. Nothing I’ve seen in there thats loose.
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

BST Airbag Error woes

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:56 pm

inkey$ wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:17 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:09 pm OK, I'll start with a daft question perhaps. Is there something loose in there that is impacting the terminal? Is the battery fully secure?
I’ve checked it all and it seems pretty stable and secure. Nothing I’ve seen in there thats loose.
It was a contender for wildest stab in the dark anyway. :roll:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

BST Airbag Error woes

Post by inkey$ » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:07 pm

Just re-igniting this thread in case anybody has experience with .man files, or has ideas on coding out the battery safety terminal airbag light.

Its still off at the moment after I disconnected and checked all the wiring connections back there, but I've not really driven the car much in the last few weeks, so am anticipating a return.