Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Smart top fitted today

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Johnbmwz4

Smart top fitted today

Post by Johnbmwz4 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:51 am

So today I fitted the smart top I got from a forum member. Studied the instruction manual as didn’t want to make any mistakes. Taking trims off fairly easy but you do need a trim removal tool to remove the push In fasteners. If you use a screwdriver you will scratch the plastics. Anyway once removed you get to all the wiring gubbins. This is the awkward bit as room is very limited. Anyway unplugged the man roof control plug then plugged the smart top in etc. All easy. The module flashed as it should according to the manual. The hardest bit is hiding all the smart top plugs. They are very large and not much space to hide it. The space Mods 4 Cars recommend is almost impossible to fit it in but with a bit of huffing and puffing it goes in ( only just) . Put all the trims back together (should have checked everything works first…..) then went in car to try the roof. To cut a very long story short it said main roof module failure and the roof wouldn’t work and just kept bonging . Checked all instructions again and it says any problems will be more than likely to do with the plugs not plugged in correctly. Anyway took al trims back off and started again. These plugs are very fiddly to push in so I took my time and listened for the clicks when pushing together. This time I tried the roof without putting all the trims back. Hey presto all working. Put everything back together and now all working as it should, yippee. Should have been a half hour job but took me 1.5hrs grrrrrrrrrr. Another bonus for me was I lost a push in fastener down a crevasse in the boot but t after a bit of poking around and banging panels it fell into the boot area so all good with all fasteners intact. A great mod for your car if you can get hold of one.
BMW E89 3.5i M Sport manual, loving it….
Audi S5 Cab, Great car but not special enough….
BMW E89 3.5i DCT, Havana Brown, should never have sold it…..
BMW E85 3.0 Auto, sadly missed (twice)

Validwarlord

Smart top fitted today

Post by Validwarlord » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:43 pm

Great mod not to long to be honest so well done you, can you post video's on here??

If so would be great to see your work :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This will be my next purchase but need to save some pennies as £320 ish to buy direct from Mods 4 Cars :thumbsup:

Johnbmwz4

Smart top fitted today

Post by Johnbmwz4 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:01 pm

Ha ha , there would be too much swearing on the video if I made one but yeah a video of someone doing this mod would have been a great help.

Timdon

Smart top fitted today

Post by Timdon » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:51 pm

Glad you got it up and running 👍

Johnbmwz4

Smart top fitted today

Post by Johnbmwz4 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:47 pm

Thanks Timdon. Was a bit of a pain fitting as I said in my post but now that I have 1 touch roof operation and folding mirrors it was all worth it.

Timdon

Smart top fitted today

Post by Timdon » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:04 pm

Johnbmwz4 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:47 pm Thanks Timdon. Was a bit of a pain fitting as I said in my post but now that I have 1 touch roof operation and folding mirrors it was all worth it.
You’re welcome I’m contemplating buying one for my g29 but the prices of gone up considerably

Johnbmwz4

Smart top fitted today

Post by Johnbmwz4 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:17 pm

Yeah they are expensive when new aren’t they ? At least if you ever sell your car you can take it out and get most of your money back by selling it on here.

Timdon

Smart top fitted today

Post by Timdon » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:29 pm

Johnbmwz4 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:17 pm Yeah they are expensive when new aren’t they ? At least if you ever sell your car you can take it out and get most of your money back by selling it on here.
:thumbsup:

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Smart top fitted today

Post by Argyll Andy » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:58 pm

Validwarlord wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:43 pm Great mod not to long to be honest so well done you, can you post video's on here??
Validwarlord, not a video but I’ve stuck some images of where to site the module and cables on this thread :thumbsup:

viewtopic.php?t=126435&hilit=SmartTop&start=30

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)