Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bailed out by Bigwinn

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
IRD

Bailed out by Bigwinn

Post by IRD » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:55 pm

Some of you will know that when I bought my car Stuart kindly went over it with a fine tooth comb repairing and replacing where necessary. He did a first rate job and the car has been really reliable.
However, last Summer it developed an irritating fault. The audible element of the direction indicators stopped working. The indicators themselves worked fine but no ‘tick-tock’. It turned out there was no straightforward solution to the problem. The control for the audible element of indicators is embedded in the instrument cluster. I had the car examined by a good independent who couldn’t help. The instrument cluster was then sent to ECU Testing. This is the company which repairs the faulty electronic steering columns on E85s. They have a good reputation but couldn’t effect a repair either.
One solution would have been to directly replace the instrument cluster with another working one but then there would have been all the attendant problems re- mileage etc. I could also have bought a brand new cluster directly from BMW and have them replace it. But I would have needed a mortgage to pay the bill.
I thought was going to have to live with the problem. But Stuart, as ever, hates to be beaten and after discussing the issue with another member, IAM ORION, discovered a fix. He was able to remove a computer chip from my cluster and replaced into a donor cluster which had everything working. Hey Presto! Mileage retained and all gauges working as they should plus the ‘tick tick’ sound had returned.
So, what clever helpful members we have on this Forum. Many, many thanks to these two gentleman.
Sorry it’s a bit wordy but if others have a similar problem you know who to contact. 👍👍👍

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Bailed out by Bigwinn

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:59 pm

That's all very well and good Ian, but I am intrigued how, as a BMW owner, you ascertained the indicator 'tick-tock' wasn't working?
I can only surmise you must have accidentally caught the stalk whilst waving arrogantly at a lesser road user. :poke: :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

GJ1

Bailed out by Bigwinn

Post by GJ1 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:09 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:59 pm That's all very well and good Ian, but I am intrigued how, as a BMW owner, you ascertained the indicator 'tick-tock' wasn't working?
I can only surmise you must have accidentally caught the stalk whilst waving arrogantly at a lesser road user. :poke: :D
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
07 Z4C 3.0si sport sapphire black

GJ1

Bailed out by Bigwinn

Post by GJ1 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:11 pm

IRD wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:55 pm Some of you will know that when I bought my car Stuart kindly went over it with a fine tooth comb repairing and replacing where necessary. He did a first rate job and the car has been really reliable.
However, last Summer it developed an irritating fault. The audible element of the direction indicators stopped working. The indicators themselves worked fine but no ‘tick-tock’. It turned out there was no straightforward solution to the problem. The control for the audible element of indicators is embedded in the instrument cluster. I had the car examined by a good independent who couldn’t help. The instrument cluster was then sent to ECU Testing. This is the company which repairs the faulty electronic steering columns on E85s. They have a good reputation but couldn’t effect a repair either.
One solution would have been to directly replace the instrument cluster with another working one but then there would have been all the attendant problems re- mileage etc. I could also have bought a brand new cluster directly from BMW and have them replace it. But I would have needed a mortgage to pay the bill.
I thought was going to have to live with the problem. But Stuart, as ever, hates to be beaten and after discussing the issue with another member, IAM ORION, discovered a fix. He was able to remove a computer chip from my cluster and replaced into a donor cluster which had everything working. Hey Presto! Mileage retained and all gauges working as they should plus the ‘tick tick’ sound had returned.
So, what clever helpful members we have on this Forum. Many, many thanks to these two gentleman.
Sorry it’s a bit wordy but if others have a similar problem you know who to contact. 👍👍👍
There's some amazing knowledgeable (and very helpful) individuals on here :thumbsup:
Unfortunately I am not one of them :rofl:
07 Z4C 3.0si sport sapphire black

IRD

Bailed out by Bigwinn

Post by IRD » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:48 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:59 pm That's all very well and good Ian, but I am intrigued how, as a BMW owner, you ascertained the indicator 'tick-tock' wasn't working?
Well you know the score Martin. I never did use the indicators much being a BMW driver and once there was no ‘tick tock’ I didn’t use them at all. 😀😀😀

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Bailed out by Bigwinn

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:29 am

That's a great result Ian. :thumbsup:

I'm another serial BMW owner but still haven't got out of the habit of using indicators. I love the 3-flash function that can be coded - oops, I'm sure Stuart or Martin could sort that. :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Bailed out by Bigwinn

Post by bigwinn » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:59 am

Thanks Ian

Your car is a stunner- it’s a pleasure to keep it in prime condition!!

Stuart
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

jock156

Bailed out by Bigwinn

Post by jock156 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:14 am

Well played Stu & James :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: