Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Clocks swap- solved

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Clocks swap- solved

Post by bigwinn » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:59 pm

I decided to embark on this as a project for Ian
IRD
His clocks were starting to play up- the indicator tick noise was intermittent and I tried to fix that to no avail

Knowing that if I swapped clocks from another car I would either need to recode or accept that the mileage tamper dot was going to pop up I asked around for a solution

James
IAmOrion
came up with a really cool solution- open the clocks up and transplant the eeprom chip- credit where its due to him for his technical knowledge

I purchased a de-solderer and broke open a spare set of clocks- did the same to Ians and I am happy to say success!

Mileage is the same on the new clocks- no tamper dot and new clocks make the indicator noise!

Nice!

Happy to do a write up for anyone that needs help doing this!
IMG_4004.jpeg
IMG_4004.jpeg (199.56 KiB) Viewed 293 times
IMG_4003.jpeg
IMG_4003.jpeg (235.68 KiB) Viewed 293 times
IMG_4002.jpeg
IMG_4002.jpeg (176.52 KiB) Viewed 293 times
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Special Kay

Clocks swap- solved

Post by Special Kay » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:23 pm

Maybe its an opportunity for you to offer this service to members, to go alongside your ews delete. Just a suggestion mind

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Clocks swap- solved

Post by bigwinn » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:41 pm

Special Kay wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:23 pm Maybe its an opportunity for you to offer this service to members, to go alongside your ews delete. Just a suggestion mind
I like your thinking

:thumbsup:
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me

Zulu4

Clocks swap- solved

Post by Zulu4 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:27 pm

Very interesting. Well done Stuart :thumbsup:
Could you point out which chip is the eeprom in question.
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Clocks swap- solved

Post by bigwinn » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:39 pm

Zulu4 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:27 pm Very interesting. Well done Stuart :thumbsup:
Could you point out which chip is the eeprom in question.
This one- on the rear of the side you open the cluster up to
IMG_4003.jpeg
IMG_4003.jpeg (233.46 KiB) Viewed 244 times

EWS Delete PM me

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Clocks swap- solved

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:49 pm

Z4 forum at it's best again. :thumbsup:

There are so many skilled/knowledgeable people on here, which is just as well as I'm not one of them! :oops:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Clocks swap- solved

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:55 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:49 pm Z4 forum at it's best again. :thumbsup:

There are so many skilled/knowledgeable people on here, which is just as well as I'm not one of them! :oops:
Agreed.
It is getting almost to the point when Zedfest should have a twin Zedfix meet somewhere, so we can all meet up for a weekend and get our cars fixed.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

Special Kay

Clocks swap- solved

Post by Special Kay » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:13 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:55 pm
Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:49 pm Z4 forum at it's best again. :thumbsup:

Agreed.
It is getting almost to the point when Zedfest should have a twin Zedfix meet somewhere, so we can all meet up for a weekend and get our cars fixed.
That's a great idea, just hope there's no mechanics named Jim :rofl:

IRD

Clocks swap- solved

Post by IRD » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:49 pm

bigwinn wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:59 pm I decided to embark on this as a project for Ian
IRD
His clocks were starting to play up- the indicator tick noise was intermittent and I tried to fix that to no avail

Knowing that if I swapped clocks from another car I would either need to recode or accept that the mileage tamper dot was going to pop up I asked around for a solution

James
IAmOrion
came up with a really cool solution- open the clocks up and transplant the eeprom chip- credit where its due to him for his technical knowledge

I purchased a de-solderer and broke open a spare set of clocks- did the same to Ians and I am happy to say success!

Mileage is the same on the new clocks- no tamper dot and new clocks make the indicator noise!

Nice!

Happy to do a write up for anyone that needs help doing this!
IMG_4004.jpegIMG_4003.jpegIMG_4002.jpeg

Yours was a far better explanation than mine Stuart. I’m sure others will want to use your expertise. Fantastic job.👍👍👍