Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bimmergeeks Protools Coding

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
javis20

Post by javis20 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:36 am

Are ProTools coding menu's in english? I had planned to purchase Bimmercode but realized that in expert mode everything was in german. Well, I could just stick with NCSexpert, if that's the case. I only need convenient coding, I have Ista for diagnostics.

Thanks

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:25 am

Yes :thumbsup:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

javis20

Post by javis20 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:25 pm

Is ProTool Coding worth the huge price difference from Bimmercode. I believe one is $90 and the other is $44. I tried the trial version of Bimmercode and found that once you go into expert mode all the codes are in german. At least NCS Expert has a side program to translate.

matsmith749

Post by matsmith749 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:00 pm

It is a german car....

But to be honest, unless you are browsing & making guesses, everytime you google how to code you will get the German language version anyways - so it isn't the hardship you might think it is.
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:13 pm

javis20 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:25 pm Is ProTool Coding worth the huge price difference from Bimmercode. I believe one is $90 and the other is $44. I tried the trial version of Bimmercode and found that once you go into expert mode all the codes are in german. At least NCS Expert has a side program to translate.
You don't need to buy BMW Standard Tools as it's available free... https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads but if you download my Cruise Control pdf I give all the links you need for NCSExpert etc... https://www.dropbox.com/s/u20zvkfwc91bw ... 2.pdf?dl=0

All you need to buy is a decent OBD cable.

I've attached a screenshot showing my NCSExpert in full English :thumbsup:
Attachments
vlcsnap-2023-03-17-14h01m22s099.png
vlcsnap-2023-03-17-14h01m22s099.png (72.71 KiB) Viewed 135 times
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

javis20

Post by javis20 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:32 pm

Thanks, but I already have ISTA, INPA and NCSExpert. I'm just looking for something convenient to use. Looking into it further it seems Protool only works with BimmerGeeks adapter. So, that adds an additional $50 to the price. Getting into the coding, it looks like everything is still in german. One nice thing is you can download the Nettodata and put it in NCS Dummy. But then you may as well just use NCS Expert. I think I'll just buy Bimmercode and deal with it.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:58 pm

I use Protool..I’ve got a MHD Wi-Fi dongle and a cheapo ruggedised Chinese android phone (around £70) with Protool and xHP and MHD installed and kept in the oddments tray in the car next to the steering wheel..

It can’t quite do all that ISTA etc can do but it’s tame rather than ISTA which IMHO is about as user friendly as a cornered rat..

It’s been very useful a few times when things have ‘gone wrong; far from hime..instead of wondering what , if , how it’s safe to carry on its your in cabin on the road pal.

So it helped me when I kept going onto 5 cylinders ..coil breaking down..

When my water pump failed it allowed me to limp 12 hours home safely from the top of the NC500 by seeing what the faults were and monitoring coolant temp in real time

Reconfigure brake lights when I inadvertently programmed them into a disco special

Troubleshoot other folks cars on runs..several times..

Support for Protool is excellent so when I need to program different road speeds on the roof they were there to help..

It helps if yiu have a basic understanding of the obtuse and perverse way BMW wires up its cars ..so when you need to go the final mile with ISTA which is free yiu understand what that cornered rat is doing.. :tumbleweed: :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: