Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

z4 steering seized - EPS?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
AaronMaguire

Post by AaronMaguire » Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:38 am

Mines all sorted and back in the car. It’s transformed it obviously now the EPS is working!

I now have the other common jobs to do around the car!
That’s awesome.
Mine is still in the air.
What were ECU testing like to deal with?
MY04 Z4 3.0 Manual.
MY19 Skoda Octavia VRS

CheapZ4

Post by CheapZ4 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:48 am

AaronMaguire wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:38 am
Mines all sorted and back in the car. It’s transformed it obviously now the EPS is working!

I now have the other common jobs to do around the car!
That’s awesome.
Mine is still in the air.
What were ECU testing like to deal with?
Super easy to deal with.

I packed my unit up and send it Thursday last week and on Wednesday they emailed me with news and I logged into their website and it said they’d found a fault and asked for payment. Wasn’t the cheapest but it’s working and with a warranty so I’m happy.

I had the unit back the very next day and fitted it with no issues. Didn’t even need to plug my car into INPA because the car just knew it was back to normal.

Turn around time was quick enough considering they don’t work on weekends.

Let me know when you get yours back

AaronMaguire

Post by AaronMaguire » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:43 am

My power steering g unit has returned.
Wow the service and turnaround is fantastic.

Now to put everything back together.

Does anyone know the torque setting for the motor to the steering column?
MY04 Z4 3.0 Manual.
MY19 Skoda Octavia VRS

AaronMaguire

Post by AaronMaguire » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:17 am

In fact what’s the torque setting for the steering column torx bolt?
I can’t find any torque specs anywhere. 🤷🤦🏻
MY04 Z4 3.0 Manual.
MY19 Skoda Octavia VRS

AaronMaguire

Post by AaronMaguire » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:49 am

I found this document for the E46 M3 and Z4M.
http://sawashie.free.fr/M3/TorqueSpec/E ... S%20LR.pdf
MY04 Z4 3.0 Manual.
MY19 Skoda Octavia VRS

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:08 am

AaronMaguire wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:17 am In fact what’s the torque setting for the steering column torx bolt?
I can’t find any torque specs anywhere. 🤷🤦🏻
On the three I’ve done I have applied ‘a decent tweak’ :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

CheapZ4

Post by CheapZ4 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:07 pm

AaronMaguire wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:49 am I found this document for the E46 M3 and Z4M.
Tighten it up so it’s tight lol. Same for the column bolts too, they should be good and tight. Maybe apply a touch of grease to the motor shaft before refitting and the column where it goes though the bulkhead. I didn’t and now it squeaks when I turn the wheel when parked so I need to check it out.

it’s not a difficult job and easier if you can find something or someone to hold up the column while you get a bolt in.

Good luck

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:30 pm

CheapZ4 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:07 pm
AaronMaguire wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:49 am I found this document for the E46 M3 and Z4M.
Tighten it up so it’s tight lol. Same for the column bolts too, they should be good and tight. Maybe apply a touch of grease to the motor shaft before refitting and the column where it goes though the bulkhead. I didn’t and now it squeaks when I turn the wheel when parked so I need to check it out.

it’s not a difficult job and easier if you can find something or someone to hold up the column while you get a bolt in.

Good luck
Not sure if you noticed but the lowermost bolt holes are in fact slotted, so you can put the bolts almost fully into the car, then slot the column down onto them, which takes the weight while you pop one in at the top end.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

CheapZ4

Post by CheapZ4 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:17 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:30 pm
CheapZ4 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:07 pm

Good luck
Not sure if you noticed but the lowermost bolt holes are in fact slotted, so you can put the bolts almost fully into the car, then slot the column down onto them, which takes the weight while you pop one in at the top end.
Whoops 😬 I did not think to do that so I struggled and used my jack handle to prop up the column but got there in the end.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:49 pm

CheapZ4 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:17 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:30 pm
CheapZ4 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:07 pm Tighten it up so it’s tight lol. Same for the column bolts too, they should be good and tight. Maybe apply a touch of grease to the motor shaft before refitting and the column where it goes though the bulkhead. I didn’t and now it squeaks when I turn the wheel when parked so I need to check it out.

Good luck
Whoops 😬 I did not think to do that so I struggled and used my jack handle to prop up the column but got there in the end.
I've removed columns from breakers, but never had to fit one. Could well have that to do soon for someone though.
How hard was it to get the splines back in to the UJ in the engine bay?

CheapZ4

Post by CheapZ4 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:01 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:49 pm
CheapZ4 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:17 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:30 pm Not sure if you noticed but the lowermost bolt holes are in fact slotted, so you can put the bolts almost fully into the car, then slot the column down onto them, which takes the weight while you pop one in at the top end.
I've removed columns from breakers, but never had to fit one. Could well have that to do soon for someone though.
It would have been difficult as I soon realised once I tried to get the splines out of the UJ. I ended up leaving it attached and just dropped the column down inside the car so I could get the motor out and back in again. Didn’t need to take the column out or the steering wheel off. Was just a matter of removing the trim, unplugging the motor wires and torque sensor wire then unbolting the column and lowering it into the foot well while using the drivers seat to rest the steering wheel on while I wait for my EPS to be returned fully working.

To take the column out I can’t imagine it will be too hard other then getting the UJ splines freed up and off(using a load of WD-40 to soak it a few times) maybe try to open the slot slightly might help and bending the heat shield away from it to allow a bit more room and bend it back after.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:28 pm

CheapZ4 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:01 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:49 pm
CheapZ4 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:17 pm Whoops 😬 I did not think to do that so I struggled and used my jack handle to prop up the column but got there in the end.
It would have been difficult as I soon realised once I tried to get the splines out of the UJ. I ended up leaving it attached and just dropped the column down inside the car so I could get the motor out and back in again. Didn’t need to take the column out or the steering wheel off. Was just a matter of removing the trim, unplugging the motor wires and torque sensor wire then unbolting the column and lowering it into the foot well while using the drivers seat to rest the steering wheel on while I wait for my EPS to be returned fully working.

To take the column out I can’t imagine it will be too hard other then getting the UJ splines freed up and off(using a load of WD-40 to soak it a few times) maybe try to open the slot slightly might help and bending the heat shield away from it to allow a bit more room and bend it back after.
Yes the removal isn't too bad, but needs a fair old yank!
Thinking that putting it back in place could be fiddly as you can't really hammer it back in from the top or you run the risk of damaging the torque sensor.

CheapZ4

Post by CheapZ4 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:44 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:28 pm
CheapZ4 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:01 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:49 pm I've removed columns from breakers, but never had to fit one. Could well have that to do soon for someone though.

Yes the removal isn't too bad, but needs a fair old yank!
Thinking that putting it back in place could be fiddly as you can't really hammer it back in from the top or you run the risk of damaging the torque sensor.
I’m glad I didn’t need to remove it and it all went back together without breaking anything. The car runs well but has a very small but noticeable coolant leak and I can’t figure out if the auto box is slipping or if it’s meant to drive the way it does.

AaronMaguire

Post by AaronMaguire » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:19 pm

UPDATE.
I Received the rebuilt motor and installed it with not much trouble.
And it works perfectly.
Loving the car again…until today when the Roof motor started to go very weak and needing a helping hand.

Looks like another job and another post. 🤦🏻
MY04 Z4 3.0 Manual.
MY19 Skoda Octavia VRS