Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front Wishbone Bushes Perishing

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Chengy

Post by Chengy » Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:29 pm

plenty wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:20 pm Might as well replace the wishbones themselves while you're in there, if there is no evidence of this having been done recently. They're not expensive and contain two ball joints each, which wear.
Thanks plenty - is it a big job? Im a novice when it comes to working on cars so just taking it a step at a time.

plenty

Post by plenty » Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:01 pm

You'll have to remove the wishbones anyway to do the lollipops, so it's no additional effort to put in new ones. And it will potentially save you the grief of having to separate the old lollipops from the old wishbones. You can simply slide the new lollipops on the new wishbones, aided with a dab of washing-up liquid.

I note on your garage's report the rear RTABs and trailing arm to hub bushes also need doing, which is something you could consider at the same time as it means you only pay for one alignment after doing everything at once. It's not a hard job if you have the correct bush puller (oo-er). Easier than the front as you can sit down to do everything at the rear with no need to go under the car like you have to at the front.

The diff bushes are probably one for a garage though.

Chengy

Post by Chengy » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:55 pm

plenty wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:01 pm You'll have to remove the wishbones anyway to do the lollipops, so it's no additional effort to put in new ones. And it will potentially save you the grief of having to separate the old lollipops from the old wishbones. You can simply slide the new lollipops on the new wishbones, aided with a dab of washing-up liquid.

I note on your garage's report the rear RTABs and trailing arm to hub bushes also need doing, which is something you could consider at the same time as it means you only pay for one alignment after doing everything at once. It's not a hard job if you have the correct bush puller (oo-er). Easier than the front as you can sit down to do everything at the rear with no need to go under the car like you have to at the front.

The diff bushes are probably one for a garage though.
Hi plenty,

Thanks for that advice.

I thought I could just remove the lollipops and replace without doing anything to the wishbones? Like in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENJQpe50WBg

Please forgive me if I am being thick..

Thanks!

plenty

Post by plenty » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:06 pm

Ah ok I stand corrected! It does seem lollipops are straightforward enough to do without also removing the wishbones. That would certainly save some time. I'd personally still do the wisbones though if they haven't been done recently.

Chengy

Post by Chengy » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:20 pm

plenty wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:06 pm Ah ok I stand corrected! It does seem lollipops are straightforward enough to do without also removing the wishbones. That would certainly save some time. I'd personally still do the wisbones though if they haven't been done recently.
Thanks plenty - it's my first foray into mechanical work on a car, so will keep it simple this time. I agree though, if I was more confident + funds permitting I'd do it altogether.

Chengy

Post by Chengy » Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:28 pm

Success!

Going under the car on axle stands for the first time, was quite cautious and gave it a push but car wasn't going anywhere.

Used a jack adapter for the E85 to protect the jacking points:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07S9RZJTL? ... uct_detail

The gear puller worked a treat - the centre of the puller was able to use the end of the wishbone as leverage.

Putting the new ones on wasn't so easy. Washing up liquid did do the trick, as well as some hammering and swearing.

Old ones were Meyle which means they have already been changed in the past as they're not OEM.
They didn't look too bad, but the garage did flag them up. First drive didn't seem any different but reserve judgement until alignment needed.

All in all, really enjoyed myself despite nursing a cold and taking longer than expected. Very satisfying when you add value you something you're passionate about :)

Thanks as always for all the brilliant help here.

Daniel

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:59 pm

Well done. Permission to look smug. :thumbsup:
I take it you did remove the wheels as well, not just go under from the front?

You've also answered a question generated earlier in this thread. There is no need to remove the wishbones.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Chengy

Post by Chengy » Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:14 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:59 pm Well done. Permission to look smug. :thumbsup:
I take it you did remove the wheels as well, not just go under from the front?

You've also answered a question generated earlier in this thread. There is no need to remove the wishbones.
Did just go under the front, although regretted it after the first hour or so with the lack of space..

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:55 pm

I must have been doing this sort of stuff for too long. I just sat mine on ramps and did them in an hour as I'm far too lazy to take wheels off or try and get axle stands under there! The only troublesome bit was the buggered thread on one of the reinforcement place nuts in the chassis - spent ages carefully re-tapping it.

Good job @Chengy. Always satisfying to so a job successfully for the first time. Next stop bore rehoning and valve lapping!
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

Chengy

Post by Chengy » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:52 pm

smorris_12 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:55 pm I must have been doing this sort of stuff for too long. I just sat mine on ramps and did them in an hour as I'm far too lazy to take wheels off or try and get axle stands under there! The only troublesome bit was the buggered thread on one of the reinforcement place nuts in the chassis - spent ages carefully re-tapping it.

Good job @Chengy. Always satisfying to so a job successfully for the first time. Next stop bore rehoning and valve lapping!
Thanks Smorris!

Yeah you’ll be a lot more comfortable than I am, never can be too careful though!

I also had issues at first loosening the various nuts for the metal tray, so went and got an impact wrench..made things a lot faster. Still used a torque wrench when attaching the lollipops to be on the safe side.

Doing engine work seems a mile away so far! Look forward to getting stuck in though, really enjoyed researching, buying parts, learning and generally solving one problem after another!

Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:09 pm

An old trick I was shown about 50 years ago, is to drill a series of very small holes around the rubber bush. This has the effect of making the rubber relax so that it can be knocked out easier. I have also then used a blowtorch to burn out the old rubber and the bush will simply drop out. Dont think anyone replaces the bushes these days but in the good old days you didnt have much choice.

MKZ4000

Post by MKZ4000 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:40 pm

If there’s nothing wrong with the wishbones they don’t really need changing. Just the lollipops are fine. Not that I go under the car much these days, I always used to put an old tyre/wheel under the car just in case
BMW E85 Z4M
BMW E85 Z4 2.5
Gone Z4 E85 3.0