Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replacing E89 HID Headlamp unit and coding

simnew

Post by simnew » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:45 pm

Hi Guys,

New owner of a used - but good condition E89 3.5i. I have a couple of issues with lights and wanted to check with your experience in case any of you have done this before.

There is a 'good' - only half the unbelievable BMW price - for some New Hella units:

Hella 1LL 009 933-441 and Hella 1LL 009 933-431

These units appear to suggest using D3S instead of the D1S that the original car currently uses, but I am assuming that I could carry across the balast and associate support modules to the new lamp units (with their shiny reflector) and some new bulbs.

Does anyone know whether, this will require coding ? I don't have adaptive Xenon - they are the standard non adaptive kind. My understanding is that the D3S is a replacement of the D1S but operating at a different voltage etc - hence the need to use the existing circuitry and balast on the new units.

So my questions in summary are:

1) Has anyone done this already - and if so did you encounter other problems ?
2) I am assuming that carrying over the existing Balast and related control units should be straight forward
3) that doing 2 above, that there would not be a need to code the car or if there was, an experienced coder would do it for a reasonable charge.

Going down this route as using BMW to replace the lights will be ridiculously expensive.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:41 pm

No..pass

No the ballast voltage is different afaik

Afaik no coding required
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

simnew

Post by simnew » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:26 pm

Thanks for the reply. My assumption would be that my existing ballast / control units could be used along with D1S bulb rather than the D3S (same fitting size and shape) thus the original voltage (84v) would be used rather than the D3S voltage of 42. Lower voltage would require the newer ballast (control unit in BMW speak). As you can imagine I’ve been doing lots of reading up but until I receive the lights I won’t know exactly what is present. At half price I’m hoping for a good result.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:47 pm

So you plan to fit the D1S bulbs…

Obviously the ballast will be ok…

Obviously D3S is environmentally more friendly ..don’t know if there are any heat or other issues..

I’ve pondered about using those Hellas myself so will be interested to see how you get on :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:52 pm

This was a lci unit i looked at some years ago.
s-l1600qqq.jpg
s-l1600qqq.jpg (169.11 KiB) Viewed 431 times

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:54 pm

At least they mounted the modules on the side and not the bottom where any water gets in can short out the module as on earlier lamps..

simnew

Post by simnew » Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:03 pm

New headlamp units fitted (Hella OEM) and they are like night and day - using my LUX meter on my phone - at least 2.5 times as much light as before and no misting up (yet). Expensive but at least they work properly again.... :-)

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:18 pm

simnew wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:03 pm New headlamp units fitted (Hella OEM) and they are like night and day - using my LUX meter on my phone - at least 2.5 times as much light as before and no misting up (yet). Expensive but at least they work properly again.... :-)
Good to know 👌

Are these the ones with integral LED daylight running lights?

Wonder why they are so bright as the bulbs should have the same lux rating when new?

simnew

Post by simnew » Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:47 pm

The are new versions of the pre-LCI lights.

My originals worked but effectively had 'cataracts'. The lens and probably the reflector behind it were likely no longer very effective and based on my experience with two previous Xenon BMW systems (adaptive and non-adaptive Bi-Xenons), I knew they were very sub-standard. One had a bulb that was on its way out but that also had the opaque lens. I researched this and apparently it is not uncommon for HID's after many many years (my car is 14 years old soon) corrode their rear reflector, and whilst the reflector can be replaced, I couldn't find out the exact model and it is a time consuming and fiddly thing to do - all whilst having the car part and bumper off.

So I decided getting replacements but from an OEM supplier - essentially the same as BMW buy in, but with the BMW logo etched away. Getting on for half the BMW price.

Certainly much brighter and at least twice the brightness and less dangerous to drive at night. Main beam is also much better - as the non active Xenon headlamps do not 'focus' when on main beam as the adaptive Bi-Xenon's do. That makes a big difference.

A big outlay for sure, but makes me feel safer at night. Drove down to Cornwall in my 440iGC with Adaptive LED's in heavy rain the other weekend, and that would have been a perilous journey with my old Z4 headlights that is for sure :-)

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:23 pm

Thnx for the detailed write up… :thumbsup: