Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Throttle hang

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Throttle hang

Post by flybobbie » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:05 am

I was watching that Hoovies Garage bloke driving his manual converted Ferrari.
He was discussing how it changes gear better if the throttle is made to decelerate slowly on gear change.
Something to do with the mass of the flywheel.

I assume it's light for various reasons, but down side is the lack of rpm hang being light and lack of momentum.
It reminded me to try again holding the revs as i change gear and it does change a lot smoother.
Especially the first to second change.

I wondered if the throttle could be modded some way to make it hang slightly.
I thought if a cupboard soft closer was against the throttle lever.
Better if programmed in with brake cutout.

I looked at the ones on my cupboards, they are all broke! A sort of damping piston.

I came across similar on Dad's old Humber Septre. It had a dash pot on the throttle linkage, said to be for emission purposes.
I think on sudden throttle close, excess fuel would be drawn otherwise.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Throttle hang

Post by flybobbie » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:15 am

Looking ebay i see cars still have them, throttle dampers.

koluko

Throttle hang

Post by koluko » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:29 am

2005 Z4 2.5i, programmed. I was perusing this gathering and I went over an exhibition mod called a Run Promoter so I got one. From what I get it, on a stock vehicle, in the event that you press the gas pedal to the floor and immediately discharge it, there is a slack time between the pedal and the choke body so it never opens as far as possible before you delivered the pedal. With a Run Promoter, when you press the gas, the choke body opens "right then and there". What a distinction it made in my car!!!. These 2.5i motors have some secret getup! The ECU's point of interaction between the gas pedal and the choke body was truly keeping it down. I can't envision how a 3.0i manages this. I became hopelessly enamored with my Z4 once more.

Kodi nox