Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

One final ICE blast?

Discussing the current generation Z4
bonzo

One final ICE blast?

Post by bonzo » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:36 am

My G29 3.0 will be four years old in June and I'm usually not one for keeping cars for more than three years due to depreciation and the urge to try something different.

I really like my G29 - it's not yet reached 20k in mileage and is in great condition but I feel that if I do decide to swap I need to do it sooner rather than later.

The problem I have is that I don't know whether to go for a 'fast' ICE and enjoy what may be the final days of ICE cars or go 'sensible' and get a plug in hybrid. I have absolutely no interest in full electric as I want a car that can get me to the Lakes, Scotland, Cornwall and the likes without having to make the same lengthy journey preparation plans as an 18th century stagecoach.

The big negative about going with a fast ICE is that if this and future governments continue with the net zero craze then a fast ICE car purchased now could be worth about the same as a Rolf Harris painting in three to four years time. It could also cost me an arm and a leg to run if fuel and tax changes go the wrong way.

What to do?

pvr
Legend
Legend

One final ICE blast?

Post by pvr » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:57 am

Can you afford both? I ordered a VW ID.3 as an electric runabout and all sorts of punitive tax avoiding areas, but it will never be able to do the long runs that I do with my M and 911. I do like the idea of being able to drive during the next fuel crisis(s) as they will happen no doubt again.

If you need to settle on 1, then I would still go petrol as electric is going to be a bit annoying as an only car.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

One final ICE blast?

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:03 pm

Myself and my partner were discussing this yesterday as we’re toying with changing our M40i (atm for another one as we love it).

Your points came up within the discussion. I know everyone has different circumstances but this was our outcome :thumbsup:

We were going to change this summer, two yrs old circa 20k. But interest rates and a possible property purchase may change this.

One is to go ahead and change and just see how things play out.

Another thought is to hold on to the current one for a few more years and change 24/25 when the Z4 goes out of production.

If we go for this option we’re seriously considering a PCP rather than buying it outright. The thought behind this is that if the @rse falls out the ICE market the risk/loss is hedged with guaranteed value and BMW can take/share the hit.

I personally think (hope) being the last of a quick ICE roadster will help hold the value as there’s many people who will continue owning ICE vehicles and even if that’s just the progression of E85/6->E89->G29 owners imo there will still be a market for these, it may be limited, but it’ll still be there. ///M owners are paying a significant premium for owning their cars today with tax etc. I can’t imagine that being hugely different to G29 owners in 15 yrs. using man maths of course re the tax, it’ll need to be some hike on the M40i to get to ///M levels as once the new tax premium finishes the M40i drops to circa £150 pa. To get back to the ///M current level that’s some pretty substantial increases. Fuel prices :tumbleweed:

The one thing that never entered our conversation was an electric version of any description, this is our fun car. Also have to give a huge shout out to my OH, it’s her that’s wanting to buy a new M40i now, or in 2 yrs. I’m still considering lowering the financial risk by keeping the current one long term :rofl:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

ronk
    Lifer
    Lifer

One final ICE blast?

Post by ronk » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:05 pm

There are so many unknown direct costs that are out of our hands - Taxation, Fuel costs.
    The desirability of this cars will probably always be there and if petrol is still around in years to come, so will these cars.

(There is a big space for batteries instead of a six cylinder engine if things go completely £££ bonkers)
    You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
    So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
    Legend
    Legend

One final ICE blast?

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:21 pm

I wouldn't worry too much as there will still be plenty of ICE cars around for at least a few years after 2020.

If the finances work out why not? Although I've never sold a car with as little as 20K recorded miles - I've only actually bought 4 with a lower mileage than that! :roll:
    Coupes because stunning!
    Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
    Gone - Montego Blue
    Gone - Ruby Black

ronk
    Lifer
    Lifer

One final ICE blast?

Post by ronk » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:39 pm

I did toy with the idea of selling mine a couple of times recently but it’s just over 6yr old now and has done 16.5 k - my use probably won’t go up so in another 6yrs my current car will only have 33k

For the costs involved I can’t really justify it - I’m not going to get £35k worth of extra joy out of the change.
    You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
    So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Z4monster

One final ICE blast?

Post by Z4monster » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:06 pm

I'm hoping to swap mine out in 2025 before End Of Production and I'll decide what I do after that. Looks unlikely that BMW will have another Z4 or Roadster in the near future. Might switch over to Lotus at that point as the Emira will have been out a few years then and the initial crush should have abated.

No point in looking at electric vehicles for me as they are not the answer to emissions and I think they will be short lived (Hopefully anyway)

bonzo

One final ICE blast?

Post by bonzo » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:04 am

There's been a noticeable jump in new car prices too since 2019 which complicates my conundrum.

I've worked out that the cost to change for something 'similar' will be around £25k now compared to the £15k it cost me in 2016 and 2019.

I've accepted the depreciation in the past as an unfortunate necessity of my love for cars but there comes a point where it's taking the piss, especially when the next 3-6 years could see many damaging government policies being introduced where fast ICE cars are concerned.

brillomaster

One final ICE blast?

Post by brillomaster » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:17 pm

I'll be ICE powered as long as possible. However, id never be buying a new car. There are still loads of older ICE cars with manual gearboxes which are going up in value, need to get one of them before they become prohibitively expensive.

ori

One final ICE blast?

Post by ori » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:16 pm

Ice cars will be on sale for a long time coming. Even the new rules say exclusively ice cars will be banned so hybrids in various forms will be around for a long time. So petrol will still be around.

earthdweller

One final ICE blast?

Post by earthdweller » Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:51 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:03 pm Myself and my partner were discussing this yesterday as we’re toying with changing our M40i (atm for another one as we love it).

Your points came up within the discussion. I know everyone has different circumstances but this was our outcome :thumbsup:

We were going to change this summer, two yrs old circa 20k. But interest rates and a possible property purchase may change this.

Another thought is to hold on to the current one for a few more years and change 24/25 when the Z4 goes out of production.

If we go for this option we’re seriously considering a PCP rather than buying it outright. The thought behind this is that if the @rse falls out the ICE market the risk/loss is hedged with guaranteed value and BMW can take/share the hit.

I personally think (hope) being the last of a quick ICE roadster will help hold the value as there’s many people who will continue owning ICE vehicles and even if that’s just the progression of E85/6->E89->G29 owners imo there will still be a market for these, it may be limited, but it’ll still be there. ///M owners are paying a significant premium for owning their cars today with tax etc. I can’t imagine that being hugely different to G29 owners in 15 yrs. using man maths of course re the tax, it’ll need to be some hike on the M40i to get to ///M levels as once the new tax premium finishes the M40i drops to circa £150 pa. To get back to the ///M current level that’s some pretty substantial increases. Fuel prices :tumbleweed:

The one thing that never entered our conversation was an electric version of any description, this is our fun car. Also have to give a huge shout out to my OH, it’s her that’s wanting to buy a new M40i now, or in 2 yrs. I’m still considering lowering the financial risk by keeping the current one long term :rofl:
    I’m hearing rumours of a “run out final edition”
    manual one in 2024

Now that would even tempt me :)
    07 3.0si Sport Roadster Titanium Silver/Syrah Blue Individual Leather, CSL reps ZHP

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

One final ICE blast?

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:05 pm

earthdweller wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:51 pm
    Argyll Andy wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:03 pm Myself and my partner were discussing this yesterday as we’re toying with changing our M40i (atm for another one as we love it).

manual one in 2024

We”ll get one each :wink:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

earthdweller

One final ICE blast?

Post by earthdweller » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:34 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:05 pm
      earthdweller wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:51 pm

manual one in 2024

We”ll get one each :wink:
      Indeed, unless bmw decide to only sell it in baby puke yelllow or something :rofl:
      07 3.0si Sport Roadster Titanium Silver/Syrah Blue Individual Leather, CSL reps ZHP

Silverstar

One final ICE blast?

Post by Silverstar » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:22 am

I think this business of EVs taking over and fuel running out or sales being stopped is being overplayed. ICE cars will be around for a very long time past 2035.

Remember not everyone can afford to buy a brand new car or even a near new car, there are plenty running around in cars worth only a few grand, many of whom do not have the financial capabilities to buy anything more expensive, is the government really gonna make all of these people go without having a car? I feel a revolt coming on.

On the other hand look at classic car prices they most certainly aren’t tanking which they would do if there was any notion that ICE cars would soon be obsolete, did anyone notice the Sierra Cosworth that made nearly £600,000? Finally I hear Germany and Italy are looking thwart EU’s plan on banning all ICE in 2035.
      2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Nanu
      Lifer
      Lifer

One final ICE blast?

Post by Nanu » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:58 pm

I’m waiting for one of the last Z4s and purchase the best model I can afford. Andy’s suggestion of PCP does make sense although I have never gone down this route before.

I expect because of net zero the cost of a petrol car will rise to deter the likes of us, but EV’s will also become more expensive as they will have to pay road tax at some point and the cost of electricity will rise as demand increases.

I will be long dead by the time there is no longer a choice between petrol and electric
      G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
      E89 35is Valencia Orange
      E89 28i Crimson
      E89 25i White